Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Liverpool Medicine MBChB A100 Applicants 2012

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
  • View Poll Results: What is your GCSE Score (from the nine and including: Science, Maths and English)?
    14 points and below (You probably do not meet the academic entry requirements)
    2.16%
    15 points
    1.85%
    16 points
    3.09%
    17 points
    14.51%
    18 points
    54.32%
    I did not apply to Liverpool. I just want to vote for the 'lulz'.
    24.07%

• 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurencebaker1)
    Just to say good luck to you guys - If I got in then you can too! If you have any questions please message me
    Hey, congrats on your offer! Does the 2011 cohort have a facebook group? I so can't wait for fresher's week. I'll be starting Year 0 Medicine not Year 1 though, so I'll technically be joining the 2012 cohort next year.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cutaneoplast™)
    Hey, congrats on your offer! Does the 2011 cohort have a facebook group? I so can't wait for fresher's week. I'll be starting Year 0 Medicine not Year 1 though, so I'll technically be joining the 2012 cohort next year.
    Yeah it's this: http://www.facebook.com/Liverpoolmedics so I take it you're deferred then??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's this: http://www.facebook.com/Liverpoolmedics so I take it you're deferred then??
    Thanks for the link. Nope, I'll be starting the 6-year medicine with foundation year programme at Liverpool this coming September 2011. The Year 0/Foundation year course will mostly be taught at an associate College in Liverpool. But it has guaranteed progression into Year 1 of the proper 5-year medicine course. So I'll be a medic fresher twice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just re read this requirements and im hoping I dont need advanced highers aswell as i never sat any !! I have my degree so I thought liverpool wouldnt look strongly at my qualifications from school as they were sat a gd few years ago!!! I have sent them my CV , really struggling now to find a uni who dont look at qualifications from school! xx
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caterpillar1988)
    Just re read this requirements and im hoping I dont need advanced highers aswell as i never sat any !! I have my degree so I thought liverpool wouldnt look strongly at my qualifications from school as they were sat a gd few years ago!!! I have sent them my CV , really struggling now to find a uni who dont look at qualifications from school! xx
    Oh nooes. Let's wait and see what Liverpool tells you about your situation.
    Some GEM Medical Schools don't look at your high school/sixth form grades (only your degree). I found this website really useful: http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just got an email saying i wont make it to interview without advanced highers
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caterpillar1988)
    just got an email saying i wont make it to interview without advanced highers
    Sorry to hear that. At least you've checked with them before applying - saved you one or two UCAS application choices.
    Try other med schools. Good luck anyway.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am wishing to apply to Liverpool Uni. I am trying to organise myself early and have the strongest application possible.

After reviewing the entry requirements on the website, I believe that I would be in a good position, even though I do not have the greatest assortment of A*s

My under-exaggerated predicted grades (that are much lower than what my school states, but I do not want to get ahead of myself, and so there is a great chance they will be better) are:

English- A A
    Math - A
    Bio - A*
    Chem - A*
    Physics - A
    History - A
    Geography - A
    Catering (proper GCSE not an equivalent) A
    I.T - A A

I also completed maths for a different exam board, so do I, effectively, have two maths GCSE's. Edexcel Modular Maths and OCR Linear Maths?

My volunteering/work ex has already been organised and I have been doing it now for 4 weeks. By the time I apply for uni, I will have been doing it for over 1 year.

I am on great terms with my A-Level teachers, after having them for GCSE as well. So, I would feel I have a great chance of obtaining good predicted grades - they are aware of how much I am willing to work.

My A-Level options comply with the requirements of most universities:
    Biology*
    Chemistry*
    English
    History

Even though subjects such as maths and physicals are not directly required by uni's, there seems to be an air of suspicion that they are needed. Would my lack of these subjects have a detrimental affect on my app? Even if my grades matched or were better than people with all the sciences?

Assuming I obtain the required grades, would anybody be willing to state whether or not they think I would stand a good chance of getting an interview?

Any tips/insights into Liverpool's med school, and how to get into it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phil90974)
    I am wishing to apply to Liverpool Uni. I am trying to organise myself early and have the strongest application possible.

After reviewing the entry requirements on the website, I believe that I would be in a good position, even though I do not have the greatest assortment of A*s

My under-exaggerated predicted grades (that are much lower than what my school states, but I do not want to get ahead of myself, and so there is a great chance they will be better) are:

English- A A
    Math - A
    Bio - A*
    Chem - A*
    Physics - A
    History - A
    Geography - A
    Catering (proper GCSE not an equivalent) A
    I.T - A A

I also completed maths for a different exam board, so do I, effectively, have two maths GCSE's. Edexcel Modular Maths and OCR Linear Maths?

My volunteering/work ex has already been organised and I have been doing it now for 4 weeks. By the time I apply for uni, I will have been doing it for over 1 year.

I am on great terms with my A-Level teachers, after having them for GCSE as well. So, I would feel I have a great chance of obtaining good predicted grades - they are aware of how much I am willing to work.

My A-Level options comply with the requirements of most universities:
    Biology*
    Chemistry*
    English
    History

Even though subjects such as maths and physicals are not directly required by uni's, there seems to be an air of suspicion that they are needed. Would my lack of these subjects have a detrimental affect on my app? Even if my grades matched or were better than people with all the sciences?

Assuming I obtain the required grades, would anybody be willing to state whether or not they think I would stand a good chance of getting an interview?

Any tips/insights into Liverpool's med school, and how to get into it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

I had 2 A*s and 9 As for GCSE so they really do see A*s and As as the same. As for the worry over A level choices, I did Chem, Bio, Psychology and History to A2 and that was fine. Most people did just 3 to A2 and that was fine with them, made no real difference to their chances. What matters more is the quality of your work experience and volunteering and outside interests and hobbies - and how your comment on them in your personal statement. It's good your getting ready so early! Good luck!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Considering applying, can't decide between Liverpool or Lancaster :/

Anyone know how Many they interview or apps they've got in one of the years?
    Damn iPhone won't let me google anything
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of applying to Liverpool as a resit applicant ! May apply to both Liverpool and Lancaster :P

(Original post by laurenl93)
    Considering applying, can't decide between Liverpool or Lancaster :/

Anyone know how Many they interview or apps they've got in one of the years?
    Damn iPhone won't let me google anything
    Hi! I think we both applied to the same unis last year. How did results go? Did you get any offers last year?

Best of Luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I may apply to liverpool! They dont have the UKCAT and they don't seem to look at grades, so do they put a lot of stress on the personal statement and extracurriculars?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Beauty of a med school, turned out I wasn't a fan of PBL though. Good luck, the interviews are lovely.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me what does MBChB mean, isnt it different from the other medical degreees

sorry im confused
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polar Dude)
    Can someone please explain to me what does MBChB mean, isnt it different from the other medical degreees

sorry im confused
    Just 'Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery' Sometimes the letters change depending on the university but it all means the same
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medpotter)
    Just 'Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery' Sometimes the letters change depending on the university but it all means the same
    Ahh ok thanks, also just wandering, is having a London medical degree better than an outside London I.e Liverpool or are all medical degrees seen as the same no matter which uni/location
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Polar Dude)
    Ahh ok thanks, also just wandering, is having a London medical degree better than an outside London I.e Liverpool or are all medical degrees seen as the same no matter which uni/location
    Nope all medical degrees are counted the same. When you apply for the foundation program I'm pretty sure they can't see which medical school you have come from. The only difference is in how they teach the course.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chat-G)
    I may apply to liverpool! They dont have the UKCAT and they don't seem to look at grades, so do they put a lot of stress on the personal statement and extracurriculars?
    Yeah that's spot on. Hobbies and work experience and the manner in which you communicate the quality of your skill-set.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would but their requirements are AAAb, yet their offer would be AAA. I have A*A*AC... i need to phone them...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just to say good luck to you guys - If I got in then you can too! If you have any questions please message me
    Hello there! Congrats on your offer! Just wondering other than GCSEs what do Liverpool use to decide who to allocate interviews to? Thanks!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 29, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.