The Student Room Group

Questions about National Diploma

I got my National Diploma results a few days ago (DDD) and I'm not sure what happens next. The offers I have on track still say conditional even though I've met the requirements for the insurance choice and I haven't heard anything from the Universities. When does it update? Do I have to wait till August 18th when people get their A-Level results? Or do I have to send my results to the University myself?

Also I'm not sure about whether or not I've done well enough to get into my firm choice. Their conditional offer was 10 distinctions and 8 merits. I got 12 distinctions but only 2 merits and 4 passes. Do the extra distinctions make up for the merits I didn't get?

And one last question, if I get into the firm choice, can I change the course? Somehow I accidentally applied for the wrong one without realising and I don't really want to spend 4 years on a course I won't enjoy...

Hope someone can help, thanks
It's up to the uni if you can change the course, but if you don't want to do it, why did you firm it?

Contact the uni to ask about the grade differences, and as it's a BTEC, it should update on it's own soon enough..
Original post by yellow2
I got my National Diploma results a few days ago (DDD) and I'm not sure what happens next. The offers I have on track still say conditional even though I've met the requirements for the insurance choice and I haven't heard anything from the Universities. When does it update? Do I have to wait till August 18th when people get their A-Level results? Or do I have to send my results to the University myself?

According this this UCAS receives the National Diploma results and convey those to the universities. It could update at any time - some universities prefer to wait until August 18th. If concerned, contact the universities to ask if they have received them.

In your case, your firm at least will probably remain conditional until August 18th because you haven't met the offer, so they will wait until they know whether they can take you or not.

Also I'm not sure about whether or not I've done well enough to get into my firm choice. Their conditional offer was 10 distinctions and 8 merits. I got 12 distinctions but only 2 merits and 4 passes. Do the extra distinctions make up for the merits I didn't get?

You haven't met the offer, but the two extra distinctions may compensate for the loss of merits. This will depend on whether the university have any spaces left (which is why they will wait until August 18th) and, if they do, how much they like you and how you compare to other missed applicants.

And one last question, if I get into the firm choice, can I change the course? Somehow I accidentally applied for the wrong one without realising and I don't really want to spend 4 years on a course I won't enjoy...

It is a possibility, but not a certainty. Contact the university now to ask because, if it's not possible, you may as well ask them to reject you now so you go to your insurance now rather than having to wait until results day - this has advantages for things like accommodation. On the other hand, the offer may be lower for the other course so, if they will allow you to swap, you may have got in now.
Reply 3
Original post by TheBritishBloke
It's up to the uni if you can change the course, but if you don't want to do it, why did you firm it?

It was an accident. I was talking to people at the time and wasn't paying enough attention, I guess.

Original post by TheSownRose
According this this UCAS receives the National Diploma results and convey those to the universities. It could update at any time - some universities prefer to wait until August 18th. If concerned, contact the universities to ask if they have received them.

In your case, your firm at least will probably remain conditional until August 18th because you haven't met the offer, so they will wait until they know whether they can take you or not.

Okay this helps a lot, thank you.

You haven't met the offer, but the two extra distinctions may compensate for the loss of merits. This will depend on whether the university have any spaces left (which is why they will wait until August 18th) and, if they do, how much they like you and how you compare to other missed applicants.

Yeah I thought that might be the case, that's unfortunate.

Is there any chance at all that by 10 distinctions and 8 merits that they mean 360 UCAS points/DDD grade? The conditional offers I got from the other university I applied to were 280 UCAS points/DMM grade.

It is a possibility, but not a certainty. Contact the university now to ask because, if it's not possible, you may as well ask them to reject you now so you go to your insurance now rather than having to wait until results day - this has advantages for things like accommodation. On the other hand, the offer may be lower for the other course so, if they will allow you to swap, you may have got in now.

I'll contact them I guess, thanks a bunch.
Original post by yellow2
Yeah I thought that might be the case, that's unfortunate.

Is there any chance at all that by 10 distinctions and 8 merits that they mean 360 UCAS points/DDD grade? The conditional offers I got from the other university I applied to were 280 UCAS points/DMM grade.

If they meant that, they would have said that. They specifically wanted you to get DDD with 10 distinctions and 8 merits.
Reply 5
Yeah I suppose you're right. Wishful thinking I guess. Thanks for the help.
Original post by yellow2
Yeah I suppose you're right. Wishful thinking I guess. Thanks for the help.

You're welcome. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending