The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Law (LLB) 2011 University of Manchester Students

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by dagr816292
Hi! I'm also doing Law and I'm staying at Fallowfield. I'm Singaporean though, and most of the other Singaporeans going to Manchester are staying at city/vic park campuses. So I was also hoping I didn't just make a horrible accommodation choice. lol.

Anyway, I'm staying at Richmond Park. Where would you be staying? :smile:

What coincidence! I'm Singaporean too! And I'm staying at Ashburne. You're right, most Singaporeans seem to have chosen the city/vic campuses :frown: And I bet I'm the only Singaporean at Ashburne...And I'm not in Singapore at the moment, so I've missed just about every briefing or gathering for freshers there :frown:

You know about the Singaporean freshers group on fb, right?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 41
Original post by Blondie_Florence
Hi, ye start posting everything on facebook for the best answers as I'm just a one man team here whereas there's loads of us to help out on facebook!

Don't worry you've made a solid choice picking fallowfield, it really is such a sociable place and there was plenty of law people living there last year. The main reason you won't have seen many people on here yet living there is that English A Level results don't come out until August 18th so many students won't know where they are living yet or even if they have got in! For some reason a lot of international students seem to live nearer to the city/victoria park, victoria park makes sense if you enjoy your sleep and don't like going out clubbing etc. as much and the city centre is in a really good location for being near to things but Fallowfield is its own mini student community with shops and bars and local legends so you will not miss out!

From fallowfield you will most likely get the bus with everyone else! There is a massive bus stop next to the campus where buses come literally every few minutes during the day and then drive down through the uni campus and into the city centre. To get to most of your law lectures it will take between 15 and 25 minutes on the bus, sometimes even quicker as it is really a 10 min journey but it is just traffic and the sheer number of people getting the bus that adds the time on. I would advise getting a unirider when you arrive in Manchester, they will be selling them when you move in to halls, they cost around 175 last year but they are really worth it as you can use them on magicbus and stagecoach the two main bus companies in Manchester and you can go everywhere on them and the buses run almost 24/7 so most people even get buses home from a club!

There is just one main library at Manchester called the John Rylands Library and that is where you will find all your law books, it is located near most of the law lecture theatres on Oxford Road so you won't have any trouble getting to it. Even if you are doing some crazy all night revision near to exams you will likely find some other lawyer in the library who you can get the bus home with!

You will definitely have time to do other things, the contact time for Law is relatively low and you can definitely still get good grades in first year without working a crazy amount of hours. I came out with a 66% average and I really didn't put too much effort in except for around exam time and I know a lot of people who play a sport/are in the dance society/do other random hobbies. I would say that extra-curriculars are actually very important as when you go for jobs employers like to see you have a life outside of law. That said, if you are interested in playing sports it could be good to join the law school sports teams so you can meet fellow lawyers.

You will definitely be able to do study abroad if you want to. It is usually for one semester in your second year and you will be told all about whilst you are in your first year at Manchester. You usually have to apply for a place and meet certain grade requirements for the most competitive programmes (usually the US/Australia) but you will be told all about it in due course.

Hope that helps, but like I said get posting in the facebook group so you can get the best advice and more people can see it to help them too!

Wow! Thank you for the detailed info! And sorry, it's just, I'd directed the acc qn to you, and thought it'd be a bit odd posting that on fb and thought might as well just post the rest ^^;

Thank you again for your help :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by jjo92
What coincidence! I'm Singaporean too! And I'm staying at Ashburne. You're right, most Singaporeans seem to have chosen the city/vic campuses :frown: And I bet I'm the only Singaporean at Ashburne...And I'm not in Singapore at the moment, so I've missed just about every briefing or gathering for freshers there :frown:

You know about the Singaporean freshers group on fb, right?

Im a singaporean too: x but I grew up in hk lol
Reply 43
Original post by jethanchan
Im a singaporean too: x but I grew up in hk lol

You know, I'm pretty sure I've seen you on fb before..
Reply 44
thought id bump this up now a level results are out:,

Amy - 21 - confirmed for llb law - living in lambert halls!
Reply 45
Living in lambert halls too! Block C
Reply 46
Hi I'm doing Law LLB hopefully will be fallowfield but not sure yet. I'm from Derby :smile:
Reply 47
Parkway gate!!!! =d

Quick Reply