The Student Room Group

Absolute minimum GCSEs for Law at Oxford

What's the lowest level of GCSEs that people have achieved and still got an offer from Oxford, more specifically in Law? Do they matter a great deal, or are they just things that might be used to seperate 2 candidates who they feel are just as good as each other in other aspects.

Also, does anyone suspect they might make even less difference this year, with the new Law test being introduced for entry in 2005?

Scroll to see replies

I suspect you'd have to be pretty impressive to get in with 'minmum' GCSEs. And if you went to a grammar/private or even a good comprehensive then there is no excuse.

I'd suspect you'd need probably at least 4A, 4B...
Reply 2
Anyone with mediocre GCSEs who has got in for Law at Oxbridge would probably either have very special circumstances, or must have shown a dramatic (and very clear) progression since they took them. GCSEs aren't that difficult, so anyone who is good enough for Oxbridge ought to be able to get a fairly decent clutch of As and A*s without too much effort, and tutors would naturally be worried about candidates who didn't.
Reply 3
Alexander
Anyone with mediocre GCSEs who has got in for Law at Oxbridge would probably either have very special circumstances, or must have shown a dramatic (and very clear) progression since they took them. GCSEs aren't that difficult, so anyone who is good enough for Oxbridge ought to be able to get a fairly decent clutch of As and A*s without too much effort, and tutors would naturally be worried about candidates who didn't.

How dramatic do you mean?
Amazing
How dramatic do you mean?

Well what GCSE grades do you think you'll achieve/have achieved?
Reply 5
Mostly A's but very few A*s... how are you supposed to show them you've improved dramatically though? Surely getting all A's at AS level would show that - which you really need to get an interview anyway - so presumably they wouldn't be used as a measure of how much you've improved. In which case it would go on the interview, which I understand is the most important and influential part of the selection process anyway.
Amazing
Mostly A's but very few A*s... how are you supposed to show them you've improved dramatically though? Surely getting all A's at AS level would show that - which you really need to get an interview anyway - so presumably they wouldn't be used as a measure of how much you've improved. In which case it would go on the interview, which I understand is the most important and influential part of the selection process anyway.

Mostly As, will be fine! So don't panic!
Reply 7
Hopefully. I won't be mentioning my D in Graphics anyway. :tongue:

Anyway, as I originally said, how much impact do you think the new Law entrance exam being introduced this year will have on their decisions?
Amazing

Anyway, as I originally said, how much impact do you think the new Law entrance exam being introduced this year will have on their decisions?

I can't really comment on this, as I'll say something wrong and they'll all go 'you know nothing about Oxbridge'. And I don't.

That Law test looks quite fun. I would imagine that it would be away of seperating candiates who are equal, but then again it could also be the only way of seperation and other things don't matter (doubt it).
Reply 9
Amazing

LOL, reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons, where at Lisa's inauguration as President of the USA, it was discovered that she had gotten an 'F' on gym class. Thereafter, she was condemned to some island where they had dinosaurs chasing her-I mean, seems a logical enough response:smile:.

You know, the same could happen to you, sooo, I wouldn't let it out too much!
Reply 10
happysunshine
I can't really comment on this, as I'll say something wrong and they'll all go 'you know nothing about Oxbridge'. And I don't.

That Law test looks quite fun. I would imagine that it would be away of seperating candiates who are equal, but then again it could also be the only way of seperation and other things don't matter (doubt it).

Yeah - they've only released 2 sample questions, but they both appear to me to be just like the Critical Thinking tests I've seen at open days and stuff, and people I know who do Critical thinking agree with me. Although there are some short essay type questions towards the end, the majority of the test is made up from the multiple choice questions - which makes me think it won't count for that much. Although, it was developed specifically by the top 6 uni's for law, so it certainly may carry some weight.
Reply 11
J.S.
LOL, reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons, where at Lisa's inauguration as President of the USA, it was discovered that she had gotten an 'F' on gym class. Thereafter, she was condemned to some island where they had dinosaurs chasing her-I mean, seems a logical enough response:smile:.

You know, the same could happen to you, sooo, I wouldn't let it out too much!

lol, well I certainly hope not. I'll probably be hauled off stage and dragged off in the middle of accepting my First at Magdalen or something. :tongue:
Amazing
lol, well I certainly hope not. I'll probably be hauled off stage and dragged off in the middle of accepting my First at Magdalen or something. :tongue:

Why si there a Magdalen at both Oxford and Cambridge? :confused:
Amazing
Yeah - they've only released 2 sample questions, but they both appear to me to be just like the Critical Thinking tests I've seen at open days and stuff, and people I know who do Critical thinking agree with me. Although there are some short essay type questions towards the end, the majority of the test is made up from the multiple choice questions - which makes me think it won't count for that much. Although, it was developed specifically by the top 6 uni's for law, so it certainly may carry some weight.

I saw The Times questions too and they were a lot like Critical Thinking, so I suppose those people are probably at an advantage.

I suppose if you intend to apply for law then look at Critical Thinking websites, they may be of some use to learn some skills.
Reply 14
happysunshine
I saw The Times questions too and they were a lot like Critical Thinking, so I suppose those people are probably at an advantage.

I suppose if you intend to apply for law then look at Critical Thinking websites, they may be of some use to learn some skills.

I will be doing, and most likely harassing the teachers at my school for some past Critical Thinking papers.
Reply 15
bono
:confused:
Reply 16
Amazing
I will be doing, and most likely harassing the teachers at my school for some past Critical Thinking papers.

I did the critical thinking AS level last month....i can recommend a good "textbook" that will teach you everything you need to know if you want....

G
Reply 17
bono

Magdalen is at Oxford.

Madalene is at Cambridge.

There are lots of colleges that share names - Trinity, Jesus, Pembroke etc. Only one Clare though!
Reply 18
Helenia
Magdalen is at Oxford.

There are lots of colleges that share names - Trinity, Jesus, Pembroke etc. Only one Clare though!

Only one Gonville and Caius too!!

G
Helenia
Magdalen is at Oxford.

Not if you count clare hall :tongue:

Only one Hilda's :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending