The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farah-Lou

Yeah it does!

I feel really sorry for applicants now as when I applied (in the days where this internet application thing was all very suspect and everyone preferred to do it on paper) there wasn't the massive hype surrounding checking for replies and whilst I was concerned about it and did worry, I wasn't obsessive like all of the applicants now because there wasn't really a culture of obsession. I was on TSR at the time but most universities still used the postal service to inform people of decisions meaning there was no need to check track constantly and once the post had come for that day then you knew there was nothing until tomorrow.

I'd seriously hate to be an applicant now, I got paranoid enough with waiting for decisions for my little brother's application (he's applied this year) and thankfully he got all of his offers within a week and a half. There's no way I could deal with several months of torture and be on TSR making it all ten times worse like you all do now.... I much prefer my position :p: Its crazy how much the application system has changed in 6 years.
Reply 561
Ahh okay, checked out the list and none really appeal lol. I just think Edinburgh is more than likely to reject!
Reply 562
Cambridge pooled me, this makes me so sad and panicky. Got an offer from UCL tho.
Original post by jonnes
Cambridge pooled me, this makes me so sad and panicky. Got an offer from UCL tho.

Same, I've been pooled. Which College did you apply to? I'm not too worried as I'd be more than happy at UCL anyway :smile:
I just got an offer from cam! Pretty shocked still...
Original post by Shadow8230

Congrats! Which college? I was pooled. :/
Original post by Salsa034848

Thanks! Sidney Sussex :smile:
And heyy being pooled is good! My friend got pooled and told me that apparently 1/5 of students at Cam come from the pooled system... so you're still in with a good chance!
Reply 567

I got an offer too! Well done :smile:
Original post by Jessikat
I got an offer too! Well done :smile:

Well Donee :smile: What college?

I got pooled, too :frown:
Reply 570
well done :tongue:
Shadow8230

Jessikat

and for anyone worrying about the pool, quite a lot of the linguists in my year are at colleges different to the ones they applied to. there tends to be a handful of colleges who get a lot of applicants and a lot of colleges who only get one or two or none at all. we all know popular colleges pool when they don't have enough space for all the applicants deserving places, but less popular ones are also quick to pool some applicants just to work out where they fall in comparison to the students at other colleges. similar story for all minority/relatively new subjects!
Thanks! Sidney Sussex :smile:
And heyy being pooled is good! My friend got pooled and told me that apparently 1/5 of students at Cam come from the pooled system... so you're still in with a good chance!

Ooh thank you! Hopefully! -crosses fingers-

Original post by ellamelita
I got pooled, too :frown:

It's way better than rejected! At least they were 'impressed' with our applications!
ahhhhhhhhhhhh pooled by Clare College, Cambridge :/

not sure if this is good?! What's everyone feeling like?

And congratulations on the offers!!!!

It's way better than rejected! At least they were 'impressed' with our applications!

Clare have 'sufficient confidence in [my] abilities'!!
Reply 573
Got pooled by King's, but received a call from Pembroke today with an offer :biggrin:
Good luck all of you who are still waiting!
Unpooled by Homerton yesterday :smile:
So happy! Congrats to everyone with offers, and good luck to those still in the pool, I'm sure someone will fish you out very soon :smile: x
Original post by nvs
Got pooled by King's, but received a call from Pembroke today with an offer :biggrin:

Original post by DaveyBenham
So happy! Congrats to everyone with offers, and good luck to those still in the pool, I'm sure someone will fish you out very soon :smile: x

Eeek well done :smile:
Hi Guys!
Still swimming in the pool - I've heard nothing yet!

So far, it seems that there have been 6 offers from Cambridge for Linguistics: one from Corpus Christi, two from Homerton, two from Pembroke and one from Newnham.
In addition, people have been pooled from - Peterhouse, King's, Clare and Emmanuel.
So that's 8 colleges pretty much full...
As you can tell this waiting has left me a little stressed xP How is everyone else doing?
Original post by nvs

Original post by DaveyBenham

Congrats to both of you! :biggrin:
Hi Guys!

So far, it seems that there have been 6 offers from Cambridge for Linguistics: one from Corpus Christi, two from Homerton, two from Pembroke and one from Newnham.
In addition, people have been pooled from - Peterhouse, King's, Clare and Emmanuel.
As you can tell this waiting has left me a little stressed xP How is everyone else doing?

Same - no news. Refreshing Hotmail all the time. It's never been this refreshed, even when I was waiting for interview news!!

I don't like being a fish :s-smilie:

EDIT- it's popular colleges we've been pooled from!
Hi Guys!

I'm still swimming too, it's so stressful!

Those stats aren't too bad - 10 people were fished from the pool last year for Linguistics (2 of them were mature though, for Wolfson), so there's definitely still hope! Three have been fished so far, right? What is it about being pooled that makes you frantically search out statistics?!

Well done to everyone who's got a place <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending