The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ellamelita
Hi everyone :smile: another literal first-poster here, what is it about seeing fellow linguists that makes us want to join in! It's so rare to have a current, relevant thread about Linguistics, so I thought I ought to contribute something.

My application's got to go off pretty soon, and I'm applying to similar places to a few of you:
Cambridge
UCL
Edinburgh
Sheffield
Newcastle

- that's as it stands, anyway!

heyyy :smile: i didnt even realise sheffield did linguistics!
good luck with your application :smile:
just wondering, what were your gcse's/as's like?
Reply 41
Hi everyone :smile: another literal first-poster here, what is it about seeing fellow linguists that makes us want to join in! It's so rare to have a current, relevant thread about Linguistics, so I thought I ought to contribute something.

My application's got to go off pretty soon, and I'm applying to similar places to a few of you:
Cambridge
UCL
Edinburgh
Sheffield
Newcastle

- that's as it stands, anyway!

Yay! I also applied to Cambridge/UCL/Newcastle. Good luck :biggrin:

My application's gone off now and I'm half way through the SAQ. It seems so pointless besides giving module data.

I totally agree about the whole no-one-cares-about-Linguistics thing. It's such a niche subject :wink:
Reply 42
Original post by Jessikat
Hi! Where did you end up applying? My application needs to go off really soon too (Homerton College, Cambridge :frown:) so I'm getting panicky about my other options (at the moment UCL, QMUL, Southampton, SOAS). I've never been to any cities other than Cambridge or London really so I thought I'd play it safe because life is what you make it in the capital...

Hello!
I decided to go for Cambridge! We shall see what happens there! I've applied to Queens', I wonder if any other linguists have!
My other choices are Edinburgh, Manchester, Leeds and York. Hopefully somewhere will accept me!
Ah SOAS! I think I'd like to do a masters there!
The UCL course really looks like the best thing since sliced bread, but for me I didn't want to be in London for uni. I know of people who LOVE London for uni though:smile:
This whole process is so worrying! I saw your grades and they are AMAZING! Well done! You don't need to worry :smile:
Reply 43
why did you all apply for a pure linguistics degree instead of linguistics and a language as this will be more beneficial for the future career according to my teacher.. i m still struggling between these two options? advice from anyone? x
Reply 44
Has anyone received an acknowledgement email from UCL for the Q100 course? I got Cambridge and Edinburgh's emails, but nothing from UCL yet!
Reply 45
Original post by prettified
Has anyone received an acknowledgement email from UCL for the Q100 course? I got Cambridge and Edinburgh's emails, but nothing from UCL yet!

I'm getting a bit nervous now, crikey! I was more relaxed, but getting these acknowledgements makes it a bit too real!
Reply 46
Original post by prettified

I've had an email confirmation from UCL. And the others I think... Oh GOD it's too real. Make it go 'way.
Reply 47
Original post by Farah-Lou
heyyy :smile: i didnt even realise sheffield did linguistics!
good luck with your application :smile:
just wondering, what were your gcse's/as's like?

Hey, sorry for taking so long to get back to you, totally new to TSR, I wish they emailed you when you get quoted - though that'd just give me more reasons to jump when I get emails, thinking it's UCAS :')

Good luck with your application too! Sheffield technically do 'English Language and Linguistics' but I went to the open day and it is literally pure Linguistics, the difference is in name only, the modules are the same I've seen everywhere else. Results-wise, I've been very lucky, I got 9 A*s and a short-course A at GCSE and 5 As at AS :smile: I'm just freaking out over the SAQ right now! How's your application going?
Reply 48
Yay! I also applied to Cambridge/UCL/Newcastle. Good luck :biggrin:

My application's gone off now and I'm half way through the SAQ. It seems so pointless besides giving module data.

I totally agree about the whole no-one-cares-about-Linguistics thing. It's such a niche subject :wink:

Good luck to you too! Which college did you apply to for Cambridge? Ugh, I'm stressing over the SAQ as we speak, supposed to be sending it off tonight but it's looking less likely by the hour! It's the additional personal statement that's got me stumped.

Haha, it's true, nobody even knows what Linguistics is outside of tiny little pockets like here!
Reply 49
Good luck to you too! Which college did you apply to for Cambridge? Ugh, I'm stressing over the SAQ as we speak, supposed to be sending it off tonight but it's looking less likely by the hour! It's the additional personal statement that's got me stumped.

Haha, it's true, nobody even knows what Linguistics is outside of tiny little pockets like here!

Well, I didn't do an alternative personal statement. That's probably a bad thing. But if I'm honest, I didn't know there even was one on the SAQ and I've put everything I want them to know in my UCAS statement. So I gave them an idea of what I want to do as a career, and told them about plays I've seen and books I've read in the other box thing, and they can stuff it if they expect more. :biggrin: I applied to Homerton. :tongue:

Edit: I kind of wish that I hadn't applied to Homerton. I was in Cambridge the other week and decided to try and find it. After about ten years of walking I stumbled upon it and wished I'd never bothered :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Well, I didn't do an alternative personal statement. That's probably a bad thing. But if I'm honest, I didn't know there even was one on the SAQ and I've put everything I want them to know in my UCAS statement. So I gave them an idea of what I want to do as a career, and told them about plays I've seen and books I've read in the other box thing, and they can stuff it if they expect more. :biggrin: I applied to Homerton. :tongue:

Edit: I kind of wish that I hadn't applied to Homerton. I was in Cambridge the other week and decided to try and find it. After about ten years of walking I stumbled upon it and wished I'd never bothered :P

They say you're at no disadvantage if you don't fill it in, so I'm sure that's fine! I haven't done the career box as I've absolutely no idea. It's all too similar to the UCAS statement for my liking. I just want it over with and sent to be honest! Exactly how I felt with the UCAS form a couple of weeks ago, I just want it out of my hands :P

Ah well, at least there's the pool system?! Everyone always falls in love with their college in the end, even if it is in a roundabout way. Cambridge is Cambridge, wherever you go :smile:
Reply 51
They say you're at no disadvantage if you don't fill it in, so I'm sure that's fine! I haven't done the career box as I've absolutely no idea. It's all too similar to the UCAS statement for my liking. I just want it over with and sent to be honest! Exactly how I felt with the UCAS form a couple of weeks ago, I just want it out of my hands :P

Ah well, at least there's the pool system?! Everyone always falls in love with their college in the end, even if it is in a roundabout way. Cambridge is Cambridge, wherever you go :smile:

Which college have you applied for?
The SAQ is so stressy! It is the additional personal statement that is getting me too! I just don't know how to write it at all!
Reply 52

Also, what ellamelita says is true - you will love anywhere :smile:

Homerton is wonderful don't let the distance put you off! It's only about 10/15 minutes to the town centre by bike and you get used to the mad dash through the buses in the morning :tongue:
Reply 54
Original post by iyley
Which college have you applied for?
The SAQ is so stressy! It is the additional personal statement that is getting me too! I just don't know how to write it at all!

I've applied for Emma :smile: It's Queens' for you, like above, right? And I know, I've just about got a draft together and it's basically me rambling about how well Cambridge does Linguistics! The deadline's slowly creeping up now, eek.
Reply 55
I've applied for Emma :smile: It's Queens' for you, like above, right? And I know, I've just about got a draft together and it's basically me rambling about how well Cambridge does Linguistics! The deadline's slowly creeping up now, eek.

Ah yes I think you mentioned that earlier sorry! I got a bit "wwwwwaaaaaaaaooooooooHe?" that you knew I had applied to Queens'... then I saw I had said... ahem!
I have had four emails from them saying "DO YOUR SAQ" :s-smilie:
Reply 56
I got my acknowledgement email from UCL the morning after I posted my worried entry on this thread-- magic! Now I just need to hang on tight and hope for the best!

As a note, I just wanted to say that I find it interesting that I received my 'hey, we got your notification and we changed your address information!' letter from UCAS (although I didn't change it...) but not my 'Welcome, new applicant!' envelope from them. :smile:
Reply 57
Just sent my application off for linguistics (and variations thereon). :biggrin:
Queen Mary, Manchester (x2), Birmingham and Aston. AAB A2 predictions.
Really hoping for a QMUL offer!
Reply 58
Original post by ~Vicarious Daydreamer~
Homerton is wonderful don't let the distance put you off! It's only about 10/15 minutes to the town centre by bike and you get used to the mad dash through the buses in the morning :tongue:

Yeah, I should imagine that by bike it's a lovely little journey. I suppose the walk seemed longer because I didn't actually know how far I had to go to find it :biggrin:
Reply 59
Original post by xxmoist
why did you all apply for a pure linguistics degree instead of linguistics and a language as this will be more beneficial for the future career according to my teacher.. i m still struggling between these two options? advice from anyone? x

I applied for three pure Linguistics courses because I'm sure that I want to go into further study after my degree. The other two are German/Linguistics, so if I don't get where I want to, I suppose I'll end up a bit more useful. :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending