Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Really? Wow! That’s not long! It’s so awkward to get to from Birmingham!
    I’m getting a lift from one of my parents; I couldn’t transport all my stuff on the train up there. :P
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sooooo... how did all us linguists do then!!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I got into Leeds Uni for Linguistics and Phonetics! I got BBB and my offer was ABB but they let me in anyways YAYAYAYY!!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    WHO'S COMING TO UCL?! :woo:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lollyage)
    MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:party:

p.s LOVING the signature.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    meee tooooooo ahhhh!!!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maaria16)
    meee tooooooo ahhhh!!!!
    YAY! which accommodation did you apply for?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farah-Lou)

WOOOOO!! That makes 4 people I know on my course, and 4/25 isn't too bad
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna258)
    I got into Leeds Uni for Linguistics and Phonetics! I got BBB and my offer was ABB but they let me in anyways YAYAYAYY!!
    Same course exciting!
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm a prospective 2013 applicant!
    Well done on all of your results!
    I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me on how to write a Linguistics personal statement - I know no one in real life who does it and English Language isn't offered at my school so the teachers don't know much about it either meaning I'm at a bit of a loss. (sorry, this isn't really the right thread for it but there are so few linguists around :no: )
    So any help would be really really appreciated. Congrats again on your acceptances!!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it'd put me at a disadvantage, applying for straight Linguistics (Q100) with no MFL qualifications?
    I don't even have a GCSE, only decided what I wanted to study in sixth form after doing English language a-level. I know they're not a formal requirement or anything, and the courses I've looked at haven't really mentioned MFLs at all, but I was just wondering whether it's something a "better" applicant for the subject would have. I'm aiming for quite good universities, too - Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield etc.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Me
    Have you got your accommodation yet?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmieS92)
    Me
    i haven't got mine yet but have you? what was your first choice
    congratulations btw!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmieS92)
    Me
    Yes I am in Astor College How about you?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florence321)
    I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me on how to write a Linguistics personal statement - I know no one in real life who does it and English Language isn't offered at my school so the teachers don't know much about it either meaning I'm at a bit of a loss. (sorry, this isn't really the right thread for it but there are so few linguists around :no: )
    So any help would be really really appreciated. Congrats again on your acceptances!!
    look into different bits of lingusitics e.g. sociolinguistics or neurolinguistics and include a reference to them in your PS cos it'll show your enthusiasm and how you have done research into the course! if you want I could mail you my short PS that leeds uni told me to write after I applied cos they gave me an offer! let me know xx
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farah-Lou)

(Original post by maaria16)
    meee tooooooo ahhhh!!!!
    Congrats guys, it's a great department. I graduated from it last year!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Florence321)
    PM me if you would like advice on this.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ktlaurenroe)
    Do you think it'd put me at a disadvantage, applying for straight Linguistics (Q100) with no MFL qualifications?
    I don't even have a GCSE, only decided what I wanted to study in sixth form after doing English language a-level. I know they're not a formal requirement or anything, and the courses I've looked at haven't really mentioned MFLs at all, but I was just wondering whether it's something a "better" applicant for the subject would have. I'm aiming for quite good universities, too - Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield etc.
    Depends on the department. If it is preferred or required, it will say so on each department's website. Newcastle and Manchester don't care. Sheffield expresses a preference for MFL or English Language, but then they don't offer a pure Linguistics degree.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna258)
    look into different bits of lingusitics e.g. sociolinguistics or neurolinguistics and include a reference to them in your PS cos it'll show your enthusiasm and how you have done research into the course! if you want I could mail you my short PS that leeds uni told me to write after I applied cos they gave me an offer! let me know xx
    Thanks! I'm reading a few David Crystal books so I'll try and talk about topics they cover then as well as some others hopefully. If you could PM it to me that would be really really great!!
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Depends on the department. If it is preferred or required, it will say so on each department's website. Newcastle and Manchester don't care. Sheffield expresses a preference for MFL or English Language, but then they don't offer a pure Linguistics degree.
    Ohh good, thanks I have English Language a-level so I wasn't too concerned, but just checking.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 25, 2012
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.