The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Really? Wow! That’s not long! It’s so awkward to get to from Birmingham!
I’m getting a lift from one of my parents; I couldn’t transport all my stuff on the train up there. :P
Reply 701
Sooooo... how did all us linguists do then!! :smile:
Reply 702
I got into Leeds Uni for Linguistics and Phonetics! :smile: I got BBB and my offer was ABB but they let me in anyways :smile:YAYAYAYY!!
WHO'S COMING TO UCL?! :woo:
Reply 704
Original post by Lollyage

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:party:

p.s LOVING the signature.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 705
meee tooooooo ahhhh!!!!
Reply 706
Original post by maaria16
meee tooooooo ahhhh!!!!

YAY! which accommodation did you apply for?
Original post by Farah-Lou

WOOOOO!! That makes 4 people I know on my course, and 4/25 isn't too bad :wink:
Original post by anna258
I got into Leeds Uni for Linguistics and Phonetics! :smile: I got BBB and my offer was ABB but they let me in anyways :smile:YAYAYAYY!!

Same course :smile: exciting!
Hi there, I'm a prospective 2013 applicant!
Well done on all of your results!
I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me on how to write a Linguistics personal statement - I know no one in real life who does it and English Language isn't offered at my school so the teachers don't know much about it either meaning I'm at a bit of a loss. (sorry, this isn't really the right thread for it but there are so few linguists around :no: )
So any help would be really really appreciated. Congrats again on your acceptances!! :smile:
Do you think it'd put me at a disadvantage, applying for straight Linguistics (Q100) with no MFL qualifications?
I don't even have a GCSE, only decided what I wanted to study in sixth form after doing English language a-level. :redface: I know they're not a formal requirement or anything, and the courses I've looked at haven't really mentioned MFLs at all, but I was just wondering whether it's something a "better" applicant for the subject would have. I'm aiming for quite good universities, too - Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield etc.
Reply 711

Me :tongue:
Have you got your accommodation yet?
Reply 712
Original post by AmieS92

i haven't got mine yet but have you? what was your first choice :smile:
congratulations btw!:biggrin:
Original post by AmieS92

Yes I am in Astor College :biggrin: How about you? :smile:
Reply 714
Original post by Florence321
I was just wondering if anyone here could advise me on how to write a Linguistics personal statement - I know no one in real life who does it and English Language isn't offered at my school so the teachers don't know much about it either meaning I'm at a bit of a loss. (sorry, this isn't really the right thread for it but there are so few linguists around :no: )
So any help would be really really appreciated. Congrats again on your acceptances!! :smile:

look into different bits of lingusitics e.g. sociolinguistics or neurolinguistics and include a reference to them in your PS cos it'll show your enthusiasm and how you have done research into the course! :smile: if you want I could mail you my short PS that leeds uni told me to write after I applied cos they gave me an offer! :smile: let me know xx

Original post by Farah-Lou

Original post by maaria16
meee tooooooo ahhhh!!!!

Congrats guys, it's a great department. I graduated from it last year!
Original post by Florence321

PM me if you would like advice on this.
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Do you think it'd put me at a disadvantage, applying for straight Linguistics (Q100) with no MFL qualifications?
I don't even have a GCSE, only decided what I wanted to study in sixth form after doing English language a-level. :redface: I know they're not a formal requirement or anything, and the courses I've looked at haven't really mentioned MFLs at all, but I was just wondering whether it's something a "better" applicant for the subject would have. I'm aiming for quite good universities, too - Newcastle, Manchester, Sheffield etc.

Depends on the department. If it is preferred or required, it will say so on each department's website. Newcastle and Manchester don't care. Sheffield expresses a preference for MFL or English Language, but then they don't offer a pure Linguistics degree.
Original post by anna258
look into different bits of lingusitics e.g. sociolinguistics or neurolinguistics and include a reference to them in your PS cos it'll show your enthusiasm and how you have done research into the course! :smile: if you want I could mail you my short PS that leeds uni told me to write after I applied cos they gave me an offer! :smile: let me know xx

Thanks! I'm reading a few David Crystal books so I'll try and talk about topics they cover then as well as some others hopefully. If you could PM it to me that would be really really great!!
Original post by TurboCretin
Depends on the department. If it is preferred or required, it will say so on each department's website. Newcastle and Manchester don't care. Sheffield expresses a preference for MFL or English Language, but then they don't offer a pure Linguistics degree.

Ohh good, thanks :h: I have English Language a-level so I wasn't too concerned, but just checking.

Quick Reply