The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by Salsa034848
Heya!
Just found this post! So good to have so many linguistics applicants in one place! :smile:

Oh and I just received the questionnaire from UCL - the first part is alright but the grammar exercise is impossible!

Out of curiosity, where else have you applied? :smile:
Original post by prettified
Out of curiosity, where else have you applied? :smile:

I've applied to UCL, King's College, SOAS, Roehampton and Kingston. All for Linguistics and/or English Language and Communication courses. Though in Kingston I applied for English Language and Communication and Psychology!

Where have you applied to? :smile:

--

Ooh sorry! Just saw the bottom of your post! I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 122
Don't worry a bit! UCAS is pretty convoluted, I spent ages on their how-to, FAQ, et cetera et cetera pages because I am an EU applicant and couldn't quite understand what they meant by a certain weird wording or a certain unclear sentence :tongue: You, on the other hand, don't need to do it all by yourself, which is a good thing really! :redface:

I hope your school tutors manage to approve your application soon, even though waiting, at this point, is somehow nerve-wracking!

it's been sent off!!! yaaaayyy!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
FINALLY!
now the waiting begins. *nibbles fingers*
Reply 123
Original post by Farah-Lou
it's been sent off!!! yaaaayyy!!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
FINALLY!
now the waiting begins. *nibbles fingers*

That's so good to know! :smile:

Can you log in to Track now? And good luck with your application, I hope you get offers from your top choice(s)!
Reply 124
That's so good to know! :smile:

Can you log in to Track now? And good luck with your application, I hope you get offers from your top choice(s)!

I can log into Track when i get my welcome letter in the post :smile:
thankyou Prettified :') i'll keep you updated. same thing goes for you! really hope it all goes well! :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 125
Original post by Salsa034848
I've applied to UCL, King's College, SOAS, Roehampton and Kingston. All for Linguistics and/or English Language and Communication courses. Though in Kingston I applied for English Language and Communication and Psychology!

Where have you applied to? :smile:

--

Ooh sorry! Just saw the bottom of your post! I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Good luck to you too, and thanks! :biggrin:

English Language and Communication and Psychology sounds pretty cool! A friend of mine did part of her undergraduate studies at Kingston.

I might be wrong, but aren't they all London universities? :smile: Do you have any specific reason why you want to stay/study in London?
Reply 126
I can log into Track when i get my welcome letter in the post :smile:
thankyou Prettified :') i'll keep you updated. same thing goes for you! really hope it all goes well! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Oh, you can try to log in now, using your UCAS Personal ID, personal username + password you used to make your application! My welcome letter got here two days ago, but I was able to log in to Track the day after I sent my application (16th October?). :tongue:
Reply 127
Oh, you can try to log in now, using your UCAS Personal ID, personal username + password you used to make your application! My welcome letter got here two days ago, but I was able to log in to Track the day after I sent my application (16th October?). :tongue:

Just tried Track, doesn't work yet. i'll try again tomorrow night when it's more likely that my application has been processed.
eeeeee, I can't believe i've entered the waiting game now! i finally feel part of the team!
how long after your application did you get the questionnaire from ucas? and also does everyone get this questionnaire? :smile:
Reply 128
Just tried Track, doesn't work yet. i'll try again tomorrow night when it's more likely that my application has been processed.
eeeeee, I can't believe i've entered the waiting game now! i finally feel part of the team!
how long after your application did you get the questionnaire from ucas? and also does everyone get this questionnaire? :smile:

The questionnaire from UCL, you mean? Everyone who applies to UCL for Linguistics gets it, I think, but I haven't received it yet, which makes me worry a bit! :tongue:
Reply 129
The questionnaire from UCL, you mean? Everyone who applies to UCL for Linguistics gets it, I think, but I haven't received it yet, which makes me worry a bit! :tongue:

Ohhh, I thought it was like a 'you're halfway there' sign haha :frown:

You're an EU applicant right? That could be the reason? I dont knowwww. Well it's probably nothing to worry about. But I understand, if I was in your position I'd be going crazy!
I'm such a worrier. ARGH. I'm going crazy!:eek::afraid::argh:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 130
Ohhh, I thought it was like a 'you're halfway there' sign haha :frown:

You're an EU applicant right? That could be the reason? I dont knowwww. Well it's probably nothing to worry about. But I understand, if I was in your position I'd be going crazy!
I'm such a worrier. ARGH. I'm going crazy!:eek::afraid::argh:

I explained it with my EU status, yes! Someone else in this thread from the EU hasn't received it yet as well, which makes me feel a tiny bit better to be honest-- everyone was talking about this questionnaire, and my face was like ---> :frown::frown::frown:!
Reply 131
I explained it with my EU status, yes! Someone else in this thread from the EU hasn't received it yet as well, which makes me feel a tiny bit better to be honest-- everyone was talking about this questionnaire, and my face was like ---> :frown::frown::frown:!

I logged into Track :smile: exciting stuffff.

Yeah, if you dont get your questionnaire by, say, May... start worrying. LOL
I think i'll scream when i get my first acknowledgement! i'm so excited :biggrin: :biggrin:

EDIT: whereabouts in the EU are you from? out of interest :smile:
Reply 132
I logged into Track :smile: exciting stuffff.

Yeah, if you dont get your questionnaire by, say, May... start worrying. LOL
I think i'll scream when i get my first acknowledgement! i'm so excited :biggrin: :biggrin:

EDIT: whereabouts in the EU are you from? out of interest :smile:

Yes, I was actually pretty amazed by UCAS' processing times! They're really good at processing applications quickly.

Ahahaha, I just noticed a glaring mistake in one of my posts... and I'm supposed to be a linguistics applicant! Oh dear. Well, at least after a while I do spot them.

I'm from Italy! :smile:
Reply 133

hiii :biggrin:
yay i'm applying to all of those apart from oxford! (just for straight linguistics though)
what's your grade profile/predicted grades like :smile:

GCSEs: 3A*s 8As
Predicted A Levels: A*AA

so some of my choices are a longshot but I love the courses!
Reply 134
I've sent off my UCL questionnaire! And now we wait. UCL seems to have such a convoluted way of going about their Linguistics applications. If they're GOING to give you an offer, I heard that they invite you to an open day before doing so... It makes no sense!

Sorry to go on, Prettified :frown: I'm getting more than a little stressed that my friends are getting offers left right and centre and there's me, alone, Jessie-no-offers. :P
Reply 135
I spent the entire day doing math exercises and my head is TOO FULL of functions and numbers :frown: and the worst thing is, I rather feel like I'm going to bomb this math test. Oh well. I have three books open, a giant pile of discarded paper sheets with nonsensical scribblings on them, and a list of exercises I don't actually understand. SIGH.

Original post by Jessikat
I've sent off my UCL questionnaire! And now we wait. UCL seems to have such a convoluted way of going about their Linguistics applications. If they're GOING to give you an offer, I heard that they invite you to an open day before doing so... It makes no sense!

Sorry to go on, Prettified :frown: I'm getting more than a little stressed that my friends are getting offers left right and centre and there's me, alone, Jessie-no-offers. :P

Don't worry, I have reached the point of total zen-like calm and I am just happy that they have at least started looking at people's applications! Was the questionnaire interesting, at least? :tongue:
Reply 136
I spent the entire day doing math exercises and my head is TOO FULL of functions and numbers :frown: and the worst thing is, I rather feel like I'm going to bomb this math test. Oh well. I have three books open, a giant pile of discarded paper sheets with nonsensical scribblings on them, and a list of exercises I don't actually understand. SIGH.

Don't worry, I have reached the point of total zen-like calm and I am just happy that they have at least started looking at people's applications! Was the questionnaire interesting, at least? :tongue:

Haha, re. the maths exercises: the only time I DON'T feel brain dead is when I'm doing grammar exercises. :biggrin:

But no, today was absolutely awful. I was incessantly checking my emails. I just want to hear *something* good. :frown: The questionnaire was really fun, though. I did most of it and then left it for a week and looked at it again. If you are an obsessive linguist like me then you'll enjoy the challenge :smile:
Reply 137
Original post by Jessikat
Haha, re. the maths exercises: the only time I DON'T feel brain dead is when I'm doing grammar exercises. :biggrin:

But no, today was absolutely awful. I was incessantly checking my emails. I just want to hear *something* good. :frown: The questionnaire was really fun, though. I did most of it and then left it for a week and looked at it again. If you are an obsessive linguist like me then you'll enjoy the challenge :smile:

The only time I DON'T feel brain dead is when I'm doing weird linguistics quizzes! :tongue: Maths just makes me go :frown: even when I actually manage to grasp the concepts. I really wish I'd had the possibility to drop maths and/or physics, I'm not really all that interested in them...

What are your current A-Levels, out of curiosity? :smile:
Reply 138
Yes, I was actually pretty amazed by UCAS' processing times! They're really good at processing applications quickly.

Ahahaha, I just noticed a glaring mistake in one of my posts... and I'm supposed to be a linguistics applicant! Oh dear. Well, at least after a while I do spot them.

I'm from Italy! :smile:

ahhh buongiorno! i went to italy in june to a place called viareggio :smile: i also went to florence for a day!

yeah i'm impressed by UCAS too! much more efficient than my school...:colone:
Reply 139
Original post by danrw4
GCSEs: 3A*s 8As
Predicted A Levels: A*AA

so some of my choices are a longshot but I love the courses!

your grade profile is amaaazing.
if yours are long shots then what are mine!! :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending