The Student Room Group

Anyone who is doing or has done the IB?

I’ve currently just finished year 11 doing GCSE’s and in waiting for my results, where I live my post-16 choices are very wide, many sixth forms offering diplomas, a levels and baccalaureate. I’ve opted for the IB but my questions to you are..

1. Do you regret taking the IB?
2. How much hard work is it?
3. Could someone with not all A*’s cope with it?

My predicted grades range from A-C and I’m AWFUL at maths but predicted a C? How hard is maths studies?

Don’t turn this into an A level vs. IB war please!

I’d do

English (HL)
Film (HL)
Social and Cultural Anthropology (HL)

And

Maths Studies (SL)
Environmental and System Studies (SL)
Beginners Italian (SL)

Pleaaaaase help :frown: :frown: :frown:
Reply 1
Hi :smile: I am doing the IB next year, as follows.

HL English, Bio, Psycology
SL Beginners Spanish, Chemistry and Maths.

You're so lucky that your school offers Film! I would LOVE to do that.

People say it's hard but to be honest, it'll be fine as long as you take it in your stride and work hard, ask as many questions as you can and believe in yourself. That's my plan, at least. :smile:
Reply 2
1. Do you regret taking the IB? I am disappointed with my end result (I finished this May), but I definitely do not regret taking the IB as some uni's prefer it and it is a more well-rounded qualification. I also am still going to University regardless of the fact I did not get into my Firm & Insurance.
2. How much hard work is it? Well, I took 4 HL subjects and taught myself one of them.. It is a lot of hard work but it is definitely worth it.

I took HL History (Self-Taught), HL Biology, HL English A1, HL Economics, SL Maths Studies and SL Spanish Ab Initio.
3. Could someone with not all A*’s cope with it? I got 11 GCSE's ranging from A-C and everything was fine, You will be able to cope (:
I'm starting IB this September, in a couple of days... OMG, the time goes so fast...
Anyway - I'm not doing it in UK (I'm from Poland) but the programme is pretty much the same around the world.
Yes, it is hard. But I don't see any reason why you should not manage it if you organise your time well. Many people love to say that IB is awful, no sleep and fun at all... Maybe it's true, I will be able to answer this question in a couple of weeks :wink: But it's just two years. If you want to have a good start into university, you'll cope :wink:
Original post by ElleRussell
I’ve currently just finished year 11 doing GCSE’s and in waiting for my results, where I live my post-16 choices are very wide, many sixth forms offering diplomas, a levels and baccalaureate. I’ve opted for the IB but my questions to you are..

My predicted grades range from A-C and I’m AWFUL at maths but predicted a C? How hard is maths studies?

I’d do

English (HL)
Film (HL)

And

Maths Studies (SL)
Beginners Italian (SL)

woa is this same person asking same question?:s-smilie:

anywayz part about all A's - screw those A's cause they can easily turn into Ds God forbid! if you're determined to do higher level of math or standard level which is quite enough - don't give up!
if its harder for you let it be 1 subject where you will be successfully working your ass out and let other subjects be more classical or subjects you're going to enjoy in (even though word 'enjoy' in a beginning of the IB can easily turn into SUFFER IN A SILENCE huh')

anywayz good luck and definitely DO IB! only thing is that you have to adapt it to yourself, don't let IB rule your life and adapts you to it. be a man (regardless of your gender xD)
Original post by lastlullabyy
I'm starting IB this September, in a couple of days... OMG, the time goes so fast...
Anyway - I'm not doing it in UK (I'm from Poland) but the programme is pretty much the same around the world.
Yes, it is hard. But I don't see any reason why you should not manage it if you organise your time well. Many people love to say that IB is awful, no sleep and fun at all... Maybe it's true, I will be able to answer this question in a couple of weeks :wink: But it's just two years. If you want to have a good start into university, you'll cope :wink:

that's how typical IB student consoles him/herself when they want to turn to workaholics after long time of a lazy and relaxed lifestyle. well be relaxed! don't be that lazy :rolleyes: but take at least 1 hour of every day in the beginning and dedicate it to the IB (that doesn't refer to the The Student Room or IB Survival in one tab and youtube in the other tab)- learn from my mistakes xD !
try to read the syllabus and books out of fun, like good comic or a good book (it looks so 'yuck' but in reality kicking internal and final's paper ass is so damn 'yay')
Finally, this refers to all: if your parents are involved into process of choosing a subject (which is totally normal) - if they're stubborn and make you take a subject you don't feel to do - be stubborn as well and use that opportunity to take also a subject that you think is going to be piece of cake for you in terms of joy while working. A good balance between so called ass kicking subjects and subjects you feel good about is very important!
Reply 6
1. Do I regret the IB? No.

2. Is it a lot of work? Yes, but if you organise your self and manage your time well, there is no reason you will end as one of those horror stories you head of IB students.

3. You don't need A*s to cope with the IB. I had a friend who had all Bs and Cs throughout the GCSEs, she worked and worked and slogged her butt off in the IB in year 12. She ended up with an IB34 which was 6 points more than her predicted score.

Maths Studies is a joke, a baby penguin could get a 3 in it.

Also your subject choices are super easy, you have nothing to worry about. Most people who suffer in the IB have Maths, Physics, and Chemistry HL, those are the ones that cause pain.

I’d do

English (HL)
Film (HL)

And

Maths Studies (SL)
Beginners Italian (SL)

Answers:
1. Nope, and I can't regret it since this is my third semester :s
2. The Diploma work in my school is piled up during the beginning of Year 12. I'm stuffed with the Extended Essay, TOK Essay, Internal Assessments, and so on. But I can put up with it :smile:
3. Its not really about the A's; its about your efforts from 1 - 7.

Maths Studies is basically reviewing previous mathematics. Stuff like trigonometry, logics, functions, algebra. Nothing extreme. The calculator is needed a lot there :smile:
Reply 8
1. Do you regret taking the IB? No, it was an amazing experience and I came out with good grades and good friends.
2. How much hard work is it? It is hard work, but just stay on top and don't procrastinate too much. There are times where you are like "Why?!" but you get through it and its worth the long summer.
3. Could someone with not all A*’s cope with it? Yes, there were many different types of people on the IB. I mean, you need GOOD G.C.S.E's but no amazing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending