The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

The massive disadvantage of Aber that noone is talking about?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Thanks for the list. It's a good start, but it's hard to judge without pictures of the actual rooms. And it's pretty useless right now, as I'd rather live with fellow CS students, but I hardly know any right now.

Original post by nia512
For second year...
I'm looking for roommates now so I can get a flat as soon as possible.

http://www.aba-property.co.uk/Student%20Property%20Search%20.html look at file 36...

I'm clean, tidy, friendly and I don't smoke.Also, I bake chocolate cakes when I'm bored.

PM me if you're interested (or as panicky about 2nd year accommodation as me :tongue: )

Original post by nia512

I'm clean, tidy, friendly and I don't smoke.Also, I bake chocolate cakes when I'm bored.

Original post by nia512
Also, I bake chocolate cakes when I'm bored.

Hi, I'm your new room-mate :ahee:
(edited 12 years ago)
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 101
Original post by DRJT

Hi, I'm your new room-mate :ahee:

:banana2: THE CAKE COMMENT WORKED!

I want to live with people on my course or similar ones too, but I thought I'd post this juuuust in case someone else had seen that building and were looking for people.
Hi Emtab

This question has been asked several times over on the Facebook page for Aberystwyth 2011 Entrants and not once has anyone given a definite answer.

I know of a good few who confirmed around 8am on results day and applied for accommodation early, AND who put Aber as their Firm choice. It would appear that those who chose it as their Insurance choice were given the same priority as those who gave it as a Firm and a lot of them have now been allocated the single rooms.

It doesn't seem to matter how early you responded to anything, the situation is still looking grim for those who haven't had an offer yet.

HH

I know I was never told it would be allocated like that!!!!
Reply 103
Well, I shouldn't complain I have a room in brynderw even with all the horror stories about it.

I'm just annoyed about how things turned out!
Reply 104
Original post by emtab
Well, I shouldn't complain I have a room in brynderw even with all the horror stories about it.

I'm just annoyed about how things turned out!

Share the horror stories?
Reply 105
Well maybe horror stories is a bit extreme. But I read somewhere that someone found ot the code to the block, went inside and took all the food in someone’s kitchen. I also read that it smells of damp, and that most things don’t work properly. I suppose I should have said that it sounds very unpleasant.
Original post by emtab
Well maybe horror stories is a bit extreme.

There usually is no smoke without fires. While some of it may be exaggerated usually they aren't that far from the truth.

Original post by emtab
But I read somewhere that someone found ot the code to the block.

90% of this tends to be inside jobs. Usually someone who lived in the block or someone in the block had given the code to someone else. Something quite common is most people tend to have a lackadaisical attitudes in regards to safety for some reason or another..... maybe it is due to the town's general low crime rates.... but the reality of it is there are quite a lot of theft that happens.

Original post by emtab
took all the food in someone’s kitchen.

This isn't an uncommon type of theft. My gf and me both experienced this, there was a time that we didn't close the door tightly and someone came into the flat, took all our food stuff in the kitchen all our canned foods and bread plus cereals were stolen, the damn thief even saw it fit to eat up any food stuff we had cooked and was to be eaten later in the day.

Original post by emtab
I also read that it smells of damp

This is generally a problem with all Aber accommodation premises. Corridors and poor ventilation is to blame.

Original post by emtab
that most things don’t work properly. I suppose I should have said that it sounds very unpleasant.

Well there isn't much in there LOL... but usually the cookers tend to be useless. Some of the units have leaky showers as well which added to the damp smells. YUCK.

I never want to live anywhere near Aber after that LOL.
Reply 107
I still haven't received an email but I called the accomodation office and they confirmed I had been placed in a bunk room. I applied for accomodation back in June and I confirmed my place in Aber the morning after results day as I was waiting to hear from my first choice. As Aber was my insurance option I didn't expect to get my first choice accomodation or even 2nd/3rd/4th... but I in no way expected to be made to share A BUNK BED with another student. I would not have applied to this University at all had I known this was going to happen or if I had known on results day at least I would've declined their offer and found another Uni through Clearing. Now I'm stuck at Aber.
I'm not the only person in this position, does any one know of any legal action we can take or at least where we can file official complaints? They have effectively cost me a year of my life and cost me thousands of pounds as now I will defer for a year and find another university (paying the new inflated tuition costs) or have to pay masses of rent to live somewhere in a nearby town as it is impossible to find private accommodation this close to term starting.
Reply 108
I'm not the only person in this position, does any one know of any legal action we can take or at least where we can file official complaints?

I don't think you can take legal action. Aber only promised to find all first years accommodation, they didn't specify what the accommodation would be. They have fulfilled their end of the bargain, as crappy as that sounds.
Reply 109
Original post by nia512
:banana2: THE CAKE COMMENT WORKED!

I want to live with people on my course or similar ones too, but I thought I'd post this juuuust in case someone else had seen that building and were looking for people.

MMmmmmm cake :smile:
Reply 110
Ok, so it's official. I'm bunking :/
Reply 111
:O actually, tbf, when I went to the applicant open day thingy a girl called Lou warned me to start looking quickly for 2nd year accomodation and to be careful who I choose to live with, but that was the only downside she'd found to the place, its the only downside I can see too. XD I LOVE ABER.
Reply 112
Original post by RMR
Ok, so it's official. I'm bunking :/

Oh no :frown: I hope you get someone decent
Reply 113
Original post by nia512
Oh no :frown: I hope you get someone decent

Thanks, me too :smile: I got my second choice of Accommodation though (bar bunking) which isn't too bad I suppose. Also, as angry as I am about the whole situation Aber are offering those bunking a discounted rate on accommodation. It's £55 a week self-catered and £33.50 a week self-catered for those who got the accommodation bursary by applying before June 1st and putting Aber as their firm choice.
Reply 114
Original post by Erich Hartmann
[...]
There usually is no smoke without fires. While some of it may be exaggerated usually they aren't that far from the truth.

[...]
90% of this tends to be inside jobs. Usually someone who lived in the block or someone in the block had given the code to someone else. Something quite common is most people tend to have a lackadaisical attitudes in regards to safety for some reason or another..... maybe it is due to the town's general low crime rates.... but the reality of it is there are quite a lot of theft that happens.

[...]
This isn't an uncommon type of theft. My gf and me both experienced this, there was a time that we didn't close the door tightly and someone came into the flat, took all our food stuff in the kitchen all our canned foods and bread plus cereals were stolen, the damn thief even saw it fit to eat up any food stuff we had cooked and was to be eaten later in the day.

[...]
This is generally a problem with all Aber accommodation premises. Corridors and poor ventilation is to blame.

[...]
Well there isn't much in there LOL... but usually the cookers tend to be useless. Some of the units have leaky showers as well which added to the damp smells. YUCK.

I never want to live anywhere near Aber after that LOL.

You are so scaring me!!! :ahhhhh:

Well, I guess you survived all of this, seeing that you're here today to answer the thread, but still... :dong:
Original post by cefnfor
You are so scaring me!!! :ahhhhh:

Well, I guess you survived all of this, seeing that you're here today to answer the thread, but still... :dong:

You'll survive :smile: Thousands of others have done so.

Just got to use some common sense and you should survive Aber. :smile:
What's the average cost of a room in a shared flat/house in the private sector? Uni info says upto £90 pw plus bills - sounds bloody expensive.

Not even started yet and I'm worrying about next year!
Original post by spanishguy
What's the average cost of a room in a shared flat/house in the private sector? Uni info says upto £90 pw plus bills - sounds bloody expensive.

Not even started yet and I'm worrying about next year!

Depends a lot on location and the type of building it is.

£80pw inclusive of bills may get you a place in a 5 bedroom student house, and can go up to £130pw for a studio plus bills.

Most people I know in Aber have places between £90-100 bills inclusive among 3-4 people per house.
Reply 118
Most houses without bills are £75 to £80 per week in Aber. With bills this will work out around £90 to £95 per week (Dependent on use of course).

I agree with you this is very expensive compared to most other places outside of cities. Aber also has the highest rents for private accomadation of any uni in Wales
Reply 119
I had 0 problems finding flats (I'm in my 2nd different private sector accommodation atm)
Just need to make sure you get in there early

Quick Reply

Latest