The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Recommend you have a look here and see what you think http://www.aircadets.org/

But the basics are that you learn an insight into the raf, join in on activities to obtain Duke of Edinburgh rewards (something that can look favourable to future employers).
Learn Drill, Gliding, Arms, communications, navigation and many more different subjects.
It can help you for a future application, to an excent that you have shown to be doing something worth while with your time, but by all means it does not guarantee entry.
Going by what you said earlier, you are old enough to join if you are interested, as minimum age is 13.
You don't have to have a shaved head; just a tidy hair cut and be clean shaven.

Air cadets is good fun for learning new activites as mentioned above. You also get chance to go on week long camps where you visit an RAF base and have section visits; for example visit one of the squadrons, look around the aircraft etc. There are many courses along with D of E available.
Reply 3
You also get to meet people who have got similar intrests as you and build new friendships etc. I'm a Civiliam Instructor with my local cadets... it's really good fun, everyone has a lot of respect for each other and it really does provide a good insight it to the military (on a basic level of course... cadets and regulars are two very different things!)... I would really recommend it!
Reply 4
I have to wait until May before I'd be able to be a Civilian Instructor, since I'm only 19 at the moment. A bit of a bugger, since I was told that I could put my radio communications experience into use...
Reply 5
i used to go to air cadets. Went flying, that was really good
Reply 6
I was a Sea Cadet for a while, I'd definitely find out about cadet corps in your area and have a look. I wasn't the least bit interested in joining the navy but still really enjoyed myself there. There's plenty to do, even if you aren't into the RAF stuff, with the Sea cadets there were swimming competitons, football, all sorts against other units throughout the country.

Have a look, you've got nothing to lose. They want you to look respectable, especially during annual inspections and stuff, but all that means is you need your hair relatively tidy and to have a shave, not so much to ask!

--------------

Oh, and ages: Sea cadets, you can join as a Junior Cadet when you are 10, until your 12th birthday when you become a full cadet. I don't think air cadets have juniors, in which case the age would be about 12 or 13 I think? Couldn't say with any authority though.
Reply 7
13 as a probationer, 13.25 as a Cdt.
Reply 8
The lad is 14 as he mentioned in the want to become an raf pilot thread. So he'll have no problem joining in relation to age :smile:

I didnt mention this earlier but I am Civilian instructor at the Air Cadets as well
I was an Adult Sergeant at my local ATC Sqn up until mid-December.

All i'll say is whether you join the air force or not, you can't beat spending your youth in the cadets. It'll mould you into a decent person and have some of the best laughs of your life on various camps.

Go for it.
Murgz, noticed you tried to PM me. I've cleared my Inbox now so feel free to try again. :smile:
Reply 11
It's good fun. All the fun bits of mod life on a very part time basis.

Drill (well, it's more fun when you're taking it!), shooting, flying, nitexes, adventerous training - along with learning about planes and stuff. I did it school via the CCF so we kinda looked down on the ATC as they didn't get the 'real' berets! ;-)

lol, those were the days, getting wasted, shooting, getting wasted, shooting ad infinium at Bisley! Had some great times with them. The camps you get to attend would cost hndreds in the civvie market, so make the most of it.
I'm in air cadets. Its good fun, and although they can help you to go into a career in the forces, there is absolutely no pressure whatsoever. My parents were really concerned that when I joined, I'd come back brainwashed, but it hasn't been anything like that.
I've met some really great people, (and found that it was a really good place to meet boys, :P met my boyfriend of a year there :biggrin:) and had a lot of fun on a cadet camp at RAF Brize Norton, not to mention flying and gliding at various RAF stations.
Reply 13
Air cadets is fantastic. It's a great chance to go flying, shooting, do DofE as well as LOADS of other stuff, plus (don't hate me for being boring) it can look fantastic on UCAS forms etc.

I'm a sergeant, and I'm loving every minute of it, and I thoroughly recommend it.
Reply 14
Hey, I'm technically still in the Air Cadets although i've taken some time out for OASC prep. Its a really good laugh and presents innumerable opportunities to meet people from all over the country.

I was on the ACLC (Air Cadet Leadership Course) and had people in my flight from every country in the UK and a lad from Cyprus! So it really does show how much of a change from everyday life it can make.

Also I am now a Flight Sergeant and am in charge of the NCO team at my squadron, an opportunity to lead and learn leadership skills that you will take to OASC with you, so in that respect it is very helpful to have been or be in the ATC.
Reply 15
I think its the best thing that I have ever done.
I've done a gliding scholarship and gained my solo wings (flown a circuit on my own)
Done the Duke of Edinburgh's Bronze award - and doing silver at the moment
Met some amazing friends who are like a family to you!
Go on camps like the Air Tattoo which I've done for 3 years in a row - and its amazing!
Flying in a powered aircraft - and do aerobatics - is awesome
Ranking up in the NCO ladder - I'm a Corporal, going for Sergeant.
The list is honestly endless...
Air cadets go to Nijmegen once a year and keep in time to the commands of "lefty, righty, lefty, righty" and are generally an embarrassment to the British forces.
Hardly an embarrassment. It shows young people do have the motivation to get up and do something that they wouldn't normally.
Go talk rubbish elsewhere.
Spiral Architect
Air cadets go to Nijmegen once a year and keep in time to the commands of "lefty, righty, lefty, righty" and are generally an embarrassment to the British forces.

haha, no.

Air cadets is a great opportunity for anyone, I really enjoyed my time with them, and made some great friends. I owe a lot to the air cadets, and some really fantastic people work there, all volunteers, who put alot of time into giving young people incredible opportunities which they wouldn't get elsewhere.

Latest