The Student Room Group

My big weight loss of 5 stone..advice needed

Hello.

When I left school In the summer of 2004 I was a whopping 16 stone.

After leaving school I went abroad for the first time to New York City and was exhausted at all the walking, and was constantly sweating so I decided to do something about It by joining the gym.

I joined the gym and within 9 months I lost 5 stone :cool: (now weigh 11 stone)

At the time of loosing the weight I was at college, and didn't tell anyone at college that I was at the gym, so when I walked back Into college after christmas break (3 weeks) having lost 8lbs the kids in my college class were pretty stunned.

At the time I was eating takeaways every night, not a McDonalds, more like a large pizza from the takeaway - something which I now regret.

Although Im a different person from my weight loss, there is something bugging me which effects me. I have thick excess skin around my tummy area - which just sags.

I went and seen the doctor and she advised me that I may still have some fat there and to continue working out but I doubt little will change.

It effects me because obivously the excess skin is a reminder of the past.

I just wondered If anyone had any advice or has the same problem as myself.
Reply 1
Lu_ke
Hello.

When I left school In the summer of 2004 I was a whopping 16 stone.

After leaving school I went abroad for the first time to New York City and was exhausted at all the walking, and was constantly sweating so I decided to do something about It by joining the gym.

I joined the gym and within 9 months I lost 5 stone :cool: (now weigh 11 stone)

At the time of loosing the weight I was at college, and didn't tell anyone at college that I was at the gym, so when I walked back Into college after christmas break (3 weeks) having lost 8lbs the kids in my college class were pretty stunned.

At the time I was eating takeaways every night, not a McDonalds, more like a large pizza from the takeaway - something which I now regret.

Although Im a different person from my weight loss, there is something bugging me which effects me. I have thick excess skin around my tummy area - which just sags.

I went and seen the doctor and she advised me that I may still have some fat there and to continue working out but I doubt little will change.

It effects me because obivously the excess skin is a reminder of the past.

I just wondered If anyone had any advice or has the same problem as myself.

Firstly, congratulations! That is an impressive weight loss and it sounds like shedding that weight has helped your no end and you should be congratulated for taking it upon yourself to change your life.........................unfortunately the excess skin is a likely "side effect" so to speak of loosing weight.................after being stretched for long periods your skin looses its ability to be elastic enough to shrink back to how it should have been........................................can I ask how old you are? If you're over 18 you could consider cosmetic surgery however it would have to affect you an awful lot mentally and physically to get it free on the NHS and therefore you would probably have to pay for it yourself which won't be a small sum............
Reply 2
yeah i saw a programme on tv about a girl that had .done a similar weight loss to you (well done btw!) and she had this excess skin. so she had surgery.
Congrats on the achievement!

I know lots of people suffer with this after dramatic weight loss and there isn't much that can be done about it other than plastic surgery. There's been quite a few programmes on telly about people having it all cut off following losing massive amounts of weight.

You might be able to get it done on the NHS (but would you want to with all the horror stories you hear??!) I've also heard you can go abroad to places like Cyprus and Malaysia to have it done....
Does it leave you with terrible scars and loss of feeling and movement if you have surgery in this way?
Reply 5
Duck and Cover
Does it leave you with terrible scars and loss of feeling and movement if you have surgery in this way?

well I would suppose there is a risk it MIGHT........................but people have tummy tucks all the time and the majority of time have no problem
Reply 6
Firebird
Try some serious ab toning. If you don't see any results in a couple of months it will be loose skin rather than just flab. You were too overweight for your skin's elasticity and it's been permanently stretched. You may need a tummy tuck if that's the case but I think some crunches will go a long way to help :smile:

the crunches won't reove the flab/tighten the skin - ab crunches DO NOT burn fat they merely improve muscle tone and strength so he could do all the crunches he wants and it wouldn't matter
WELL DONE!!!!
i think you should follow your doctor's advice first and foremost. and carry on doing stomach excersises as it's can't do any harm! and go back to the doctors if you see no improvement after a few months. surgery may be one of many options.
In women anyway it does leave a noticeable (tho not hideous!) scar near the pubic bone - I know surgeons try and hide it as much as possible though!
Reply 9
Its not excess skin, its fat. As your doctor said, carry on working out.
Reply 10
You should get a job as a waiter then you can carry beers on it and stuff.
Reply 11
JackieS
Firstly, congratulations! That is an impressive weight loss and it sounds like shedding that weight has helped your no end and you should be congratulated for taking it upon yourself to change your life.........................unfortunately the excess skin is a likely "side effect" so to speak of loosing weight.................after being stretched for long periods your skin looses its ability to be elastic enough to shrink back to how it should have been........................................can I ask how old you are? If you're over 18 you could consider cosmetic surgery however it would have to affect you an awful lot mentally and physically to get it free on the NHS and therefore you would probably have to pay for it yourself which won't be a small sum............

Hello - I am 17 and a half
Well done :biggrin:
Reply 13
Eat Dairy... retracts excess skin.

Or build some muscle.

congratulations, im on my loose weight crusade as we speak.
Reply 14
why's everyone gone for the op option? if it is just a bit of flabby skin in time it will eventually revert but prolly will still be a lil saggy. if its a bit of fat just keep as you are doing.

Latest

Trending

Trending