The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
linguist786
to Socrates: what is the urdu/hindi word for "governement" ? i wanna c if u get the same as the one i'm thinking!

and also, do you know the word for "prime minister" ? i just learnt it today and i was like "wtf?!?!"

government = hukumat/sarkar
prime minister = wazeer-e-aazam (urdu)
= pradhan mantri (hindi)
Socrates
government = hukumat/sarkar
prime minister = wazeer-e-aazam (urdu)
= pradhan mantri (hindi)

my lord you are good!!

yeh i was thinking exactly them words too!! i was thinking "pradhan mantri" for prime minister actually (the hindi one)

(but i was thinking, could you have "raajniti" for gov't too, or does that mean something slightly different?)
Reply 62
linguist786
my lord you are good!!

yeh i was thinking exactly them words too!! (but i was thinking, could you have "raajniti" for gov't too, or does that mean something slightly different?)

raaj is probably the most accurate in hindi, but hukumat/sarkar is used in Urdu (both words borrowed from Arabic).

raajniti = political policy
Socrates
raaj is probably the most accurate in hindi, but hukumat/sarkar is used in Urdu (both words borrowed from Arabic).

sarkar - is it borrowed from arabic? really? i know "hukumat" is, but is sarkar? maybe it is derived from arabic, but is it actually BORROWED from arabic?
Reply 64
linguist786
sarkar - is it borrowed from arabic? really? i know "hukumat" is, but is sarkar?

My bad - sarkar is from Farsi (persian).
Socrates

i swear you are really quite fluent in urdu/hindi! i definitely know where to come now!! are you from india originally? or was urdu/hindi your mother tongue?

--------------

Socrates
My bad - sarkar is from Farsi (persian).

yeh thought so! i can usually "recognise" urdu words that are borrowed from arabic!
Reply 66
linguist786
i swear you are really quite fluent in urdu/hindi! i definitely know where to come now!! are you from india originally? or was urdu/hindi your mother tongue?
I grew up learning Urdu at home since my father is from India. :smile:

You?
Socrates
I grew up learning Urdu at home since my father is from India. :smile:

You?

hehe cool. well my mother tongue is actually gujarati, but i was surrounded by urdu speakers in my upbringing like ALL the time (and also by learning it in mosque)

besides, things like word order is pretty much EXACTLY the same in gujarati and urdu/hindi. and a lot of the words are sometimes borrowed staright from hindi (in gujarati) and i'd say the grammar is exactly the same too! so i just sorta "picked up" urdu/hindi i guess. i wouldn't however say i'm absolutely fluent in it, i do hesitate a little bit when i speak, but i can definitely get by. and can certainly understand more or less everything
Reply 68
linguist786
hehe cool. well my mother tongue is actually gujarati, but i was surrounded by urdu speakers in my upbringing like ALL the time (and also by learning it in mosque)

besides, things like word order is pretty much EXACTLY the same in gujarati and urdu/hindi. and a lot of the words are sometimes borrowed staright from hindi (in gujarati) and i'd say the grammar is exactly the same too! so i just sorta "picked up" urdu/hindi i guess. i wouldn't however say i'm absolutely fluent in it, i do hesitate a little bit when i speak, but i can definitely get by. and can certainly understand more or less everything

I'm exactly the opposite to you! I can understand a lot of gujrati because of the guys I know (and its my mum's mother tongue).
Socrates
I'm exactly the opposite to you! I can understand a lot of gujrati because of the guys I know (and its my mum's mother tongue).

haha. bo saru che!

the thing is, the gujarati that i am used to speaking is generally quite slangy, since that is the type i am used to speaking, and that is the type i was brought up to speak. (e.g. i would say "bo haru che" rather than "bo saru che") However if someone asked me to say something in "standard-spoken-gujarati" i would be able to tell them pretty easily.

there are so many different types of gujarati mind, but all gujarati speakers (no matter of what type) would be able to understand each other, they just vary ever-so-slightly!
Ok here's my attempt at gujurati just for the hell of it :p: -

mahaey tamari satay pyar che (or something that sounds like that!)

and

marru nam Jack che

am I *at all* close?? :biggrin: :redface:
Reply 71
Duck and Cover

and

marru nam Jack che

At least you tried, I wouldn't know where to begin!
I've also been learning Russian for a year but don't include me for that or anything as all I know is the alphabet (it's complicated!!) and a few phrases, most of them rude :biggrin:
Oh if anyone needs Latin translation I could do that (lol, well aware it's dead, but for school purposes?? :wink: )?
Well I'll be off to bed now as I have only just realised what time it is.
Paddy
Duck and Cover

and

marru nam Jack che

hahah LOL. that made me laugh!! where did you learn that???

well the first one means: i love you (although it sounds a little funny, since you used the polite form of "you", a bit like saying "je vous aime" in French!) and it should really be "manay", not "mahaey", so overall it should be:
manay taari satay pyaar che. HOWEVER the stricter way of saying it is actually "hu tanay prem karu chu"
and the second one means: my name is Jack (spot on!)

i'm guessing you learnt it from some guy at school/college, right?
so many "non-asians" guys have learnt all the really harsh swears in urdu/punjabi, since some of the guys in our year speak it in front of them, so they ask the asians to teach them the swears! lol it sounds really funny (and bad!) when they say it!
Reply 73
just thought i'd check the lists of names, but you clearly don't want my help! lol kidding! if you look at page 3 towards the bottom linguist786, then you will see a post or two from me! then you could update the lists.
F.A.O : GERMAN TRANSLATORS!!

to fugly_duckling: (translation wanted from other thread)

i think the other "german translators" we have here should have a definite look at this! its quite a hard little chunk to translate, especially since it's from a book:

'Stuende einmal, wie fuer die uebrigen Reiche der Natur, auch fuer das Menschengeschlecht ein Linnaeus (Linnaeus is just a name!) auf, welcher nach Trieben und Neigungen klassifizierte, wie sehr wuerde man erstaunen, wenn mann so manchen, dessen Laster in einer engen buergerlichen Sphaere und in der schmalen Umzaeunung der Gesetze jetzt ersticken muss,mit dem Ungeheuer Borgia in einer Ordnung beisammen faende.'

Admittedly, i just copied and pasted it into a translation website (and this translation is much better than some other ones!). But in a really complicated sentence like this, i just normally put things like this into a translation website, just to help me get the gist of it (because i don't feel as though the EXACT translation is sometimes necessary)

so this was the result:

"Would get up once, like for remaining imperial of the nature, also for the human race a Linnaeus which classed after desires and inclinations, how much one would be surprised if mann quite a lot of, which vice must suffocate in a narrow middle-class sphere and in the narrow "Umzaeunung" (i dont think you've spelt this right!) of the laws now with which monster Borgia would find in an order together."

that sounds terrible i know!, but maybe it will help you to get the gist of it? other german translators help!
first draft:

Would once, like for the other empires of the nature, also for mankind a Linnaues stand up for, who classified upon inclinations and impulses, oh how would one be astonished, wenn some likes this, whose vices in a tight civil sphere and in a fencing of laws would now must suffocate, with the beast Borgia find together in an order.

not really english get

@ linguist: Umzäunung is a word (it means there is a fence around something)
austrian guy
first draft:

Would once, like for the other empires of the nature, also for mankind a Linnaues stand up for, who classified upon inclinations and impulses, oh how would one be astonished, wenn some likes this, whose vices in a tight civil sphere and in a fencing of laws would now must suffocate, with the beast Borgia find together in an order.

not really english get

@ linguist: Umzäunung is a word (it means there is a fence around something)

hehe, i sorta expected you to come along! brilliant translation btw! really impressive. and yes, i had a look at the word "Umzäunung" just now in a dictionary, and it translated it as "enclosure". my mistake!
putting it into (correcter) english:

If once also for mankind a Lineaus, who classifies due to inclinations and desires, would stand up, like it happens in the other empires of nature, oh how big the astonishment would be, if somebody like this, whose vices caught in a tight-knit civil sphere and narrow enclosure of law would have to suffocate, could be found in an order with the monster Borgia.

I think my first attempt was better
alexjoh1
just thought i'd check the lists of names, but you clearly don't want my help! lol kidding! if you look at page 3 towards the bottom linguist786, then you will see a post or two from me! then you could update the lists.

lol REALLY sorry about that! i think i was so into the conversation with Socrates about gujarati/urdu/hindi, that i just missed your post! (and it wasn't just once you posted was it?! lol) check the list now, do you think the way i have set it out is ok with you?

--------------

austrian guy
putting it into (correcter) english:

If once also for mankind a Lineaus, who classifies due to inclinations and desires, would stand up, like it happens in the other empires of nature, oh how big the astonishment would be, if somebody like this, whose vices caught in a tight-knit civil sphere and narrow enclosure of law would have to suffocate, could be found in an order with the monster Borgia.

I think my first attempt was better

you redeem yourself all the time!

i think this was better actually (more 'natural' english) but like i said before, i don't think he actually wants an exact translation, just one so that he can get the gist of it. (or maybe not?) it's nice, translating something for the hell of it anyway! but i'm not gonna go any further with that translation. tis quite complicated for me!
OK, so this is what it means:

Nobody stands up for mankind, so if this Linneaus would do so everybody would be really astonished (generally because he is human and has the human faults) whose vices (of the civilian thought and the civilian law) would have to be extinguished, to find his order with Borgia...

this is crap (not the original, my interpretation)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending