The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

I know this might not be in the correct place but I am stuck on this sentence:

Interdiu enim raedas intra urbem agere Romanis non licebat.

It's something about carriage drivers I think,not being allowed somewhere..or carriages some where..
Is the sentence "Il est impossible/difficile de s'ennuyer de l'Internet" grammatically correct. And if it's not how can I phrase it better?
Thanks.:smile:
Reply 8082
Original post by Dusty12
Is the sentence "Il est impossible/difficile de s'ennuyer de l'Internet" grammatically correct. And if it's not how can I phrase it better?
Thanks.:smile:

It feels just a tiny bit weird in my opinion though I don't really know why, it seem correct.
I'd probably rather use "se lasser de" though.
Original post by Xurvi
It feels just a tiny bit weird in my opinion though I don't really know why, it seem correct.
I'd probably rather use "se lasser de" though.

Thank you again.:biggrin:
Can someone translate this to German?

Two weeks ago I joined a Football team to keep fit although I would prefer to play Tennis the lessons are to expensive. I have started to eat less chocolate and more fruit when I am hungry.
Original post by studentom
Can someone translate this to German?

Two weeks ago I joined a Football team to keep fit although I would prefer to play Tennis the lessons are to expensive. I have started to eat less chocolate and more fruit when I am hungry.

Vor zwei Wochen bin ich Mitglied in einer Fussballmannschaft geworden, um fit zu bleiben. Ich würde zwar lieber Tennis spielen, doch der Unterricht ist zu teuer. Ich habe angefangen weniger Schokolade und (stattdessen) mehr Obst zu essen, wenn ich hungrig bin.
Original post by grizzlybär
Vor zwei Wochen bin ich Mitglied in einer Fussballmannschaft geworden, um fit zu bleiben. Ich würde zwar lieber Tennis spielen, doch der Unterricht ist zu teuer. Ich habe angefangen weniger Schokolade und (stattdessen) mehr Obst zu essen, wenn ich hungrig bin.

Thank you :smile:

Sorry guys but could you do one more for me?

for german

I have a brother who's name is Conor, unfortunately he is very unhealthy. He eats junk food and plays video games all day. He does no excercise, he thinks that it is boring because of that he is quite fat. I think he is stupid but he says he would like to lose weight. However last week he started drinking alcohol.

Original post by studentom
Thank you :smile:

Sorry guys but could you do one more for me?

for german

I have a brother who's name is Conor, unfortunately he is very unhealthy. He eats junk food and plays video games all day. He does no excercise, he thinks that it is boring because of that he is quite fat. I think he is stupid but he says he would like to lose weight. However last week he started drinking alcohol.

I've just sent you a message. :smile:
Hey, how would I say the following in French:

We also gain an insight into the process where the pupils move from primary school to middle school in France.
Reply 8089
Original post by SpiritedAway
Hey, how would I say the following in French:

We also gain an insight into the process where the pupils move from primary school to middle school in France.

Nous obtenons également un aperçu du processus par lequel les élèves passent de l'école primaire au collège en France.

There are other ways to translate "to gain an insight into" though.
Hallo (deutsche) Leute:

I'm trying to translate the sentence "possibly for the first time since it was built".

I've come to "vielleicht zum ersten Mal seit es gebaut war" but am not sure - because seit takes the dative, should it be "vielleicht zum ersten Mal seit ihm gebaut war"??

Help muchos appreciated. I hate pronouns and that!!!! MANNNNNNN :frown:
Reply 8091
I could help with French! :wink:
And a little bit of Spanish and Hindi/Urdu. :h:
Original post by alexcs
Hallo (deutsche) Leute:

I'm trying to translate the sentence "possibly for the first time since it was built".

I've come to "vielleicht zum ersten Mal seit es gebaut war" but am not sure - because seit takes the dative, should it be "vielleicht zum ersten Mal seit ihm gebaut war"??

Help muchos appreciated. I hate pronouns and that!!!! MANNNNNNN :frown:

hi

... möglicherweise zum ersten Mal seit es (er/sie) gebaut wurde.
Reply 8093
Original post by Varsh05
I could help with French! :wink:
And a little bit of Spanish and Hindi/Urdu. :h:

knew you'd be mauritian when i read that hahaha! :wink:
Reply 8094
Original post by dips94
knew you'd be mauritian when i read that hahaha! :wink:

Loool,yeah and the flag says it too :wink:
Where're you from? :h:
Reply 8095
Original post by Paradox.
How would I say 'they make him laugh' in French.
The sentence is 'my brother who is sixteen prefers comedies because they make him laugh'
in French:
'mon frère qui a seize ans préfère les comédies car ...'
Thanks in advance.

Make somebody do something = faire faire quelque chose à quelquun
Original post by Paradox.
How would I say 'they make him laugh' in French.
The sentence is 'my brother who is sixteen prefers comedies because they make him laugh'
in French:
'mon frère qui a seize ans préfère les comédies car ...'
Thanks in advance.

elles lui font rire.
Well, I just want to know a quick one for now, but I might need some help, cos I'm writing a letter to my French exchange partner, anyways
how would I say "your exchange partner"?
I know, I'm really bad, I'm in year 10 at the moment.
Oh and also, how do you say "I hope you don't mind that..." in French again
Oh and one more thing: "Don't worry I can speak English"

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending