Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    To me, "para ver una pelicula" sounds a bit stiff as what the sentence is trying to communicate is that he/she does it often rather than just once. To me it should be:
    Salgo con mis amigos para ver las peliculas

Hmm, I was interpreting it differently, but I see what you mean and you're right. Anyway "ver las peliculas" in that context sounds weird. It's not wrong, but we never say it, it would be "a ver películas".
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    How can I say the following in Spanish?:

-Contributing factors
    -My viewpoint stands at...
    -Although, we must consider that...
    -If I were to have control...

Gracias
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone help me just translate this one sentence? Please?

It's for a presentation on abortion for my Spanish speaking exam.

At times I ask myself: how would I feel if my mother had aborted me instead?

Me pregunto: como sentaria ....? and this is where I got lost
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doutzie)
    Could anyone help me just translate this one sentence? Please?

It's for a presentation on abortion for my Spanish speaking exam.

Me pregunto: como sentaria ....? and this is where I got lost
    ...si mi madre me hubiera abortado
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesilvermagnolia)
    How can I say the following in Spanish?:

-Contributing factors
    -My viewpoint stands at...
    -Although, we must consider that...
    -If I were to have control...

Gracias
    1)factores contribuyentes
    2)Can't think of a way of saying exactly that. I'd imagine such a construction doesn't really exist but you could something along the lines of:
    "Desde mi punto de vista..." or "Mi punto de vista es que...".
    3)Aunque debemos de tener en cuenta/considerar que
    4) Si tuviera el control

(accents omitted)
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ben-smith)
    1)factores contribuyentes
    2)Can't think of a way of saying exactly that. I'd imagine such a construction doesn't really exist but you could something along the lines of:
    "Desde mi punto de vista..." or "Mi punto de vista es que...".
    3)Aunque debemos de tener en cuenta/considerar que
    4) Si tuviera el control

(accents omitted)
    Thanks a lot
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doutzie)
    A veces me pregunto: ¿cómo me sentiría si mi madre me hubiera abortado?"

(Which is a very odd question indeed...)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just came across a phrase I couldn't translate without it sounding rigid.

1) We learn from our mistakes. (In to Spanish)

Thanks in advance!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Atkinson)
    Just came across a phrase I couldn't translate without it sounding rigid.

1) We learn from our mistakes. (In to Spanish)

Thanks in advance!
    aprendemos de nuestros errores
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    in French would you say 'il utilise la description qui nous fait comprends la vie pendant la guerre', or would it be nous fait comprendre?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me if this actually makes any sense please? I'm at a very low level of Spanish so I don't really know at all...

Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan bueno como lo hace. Sé que es solamente mi primero año, pero espero que voy a continuar gustando mi experiencia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t('.'t))
    Can someone tell me if this actually makes any sense please? I'm at a very low level of Spanish so I don't really know at all...

Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan bueno como lo hace. Sé que es solamente mi primero año, pero espero que voy a continuar gustando mi experiencia.
    Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan buena como ??. Sé que es solamente mi primer año, pero espero que ??.

The ?? bits don't make any sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Pienso que la universidad va a ser tan buena como ??. Sé que es solamente mi primer año, pero espero que ??.

The ?? bits don't make any sense.
    Ah ok thank you, trying to write above what I've been taught... I'll just rewrite the whole thing in a simpler way
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <3 inbetweener =D)
    in French would you say 'il utilise la description qui nous fait comprends la vie pendant la guerre', or would it be nous fait comprendre?
    "Fait comprendre"

Par exemple: "Tu m'a fait rire"
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm practising Spanish translation using the subjunctive for my A2 exam and I was wondering if someone could help me?

The sentence I am trying to translate is: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'

I know that when you have 'Cuando' in the future tense, it becomes the subjunctive, and is 'the project is developed' a passive? Or does it not become a passive because of the subjunctive?

If I were to say: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso', would that make sense? If not, what should I say? (please explain why!)

Thank you

tl;dr: Does this make sense: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso' if I want to say: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)
    Hi, I'm practising Spanish translation using the subjunctive for my A2 exam and I was wondering if someone could help me?

The sentence I am trying to translate is: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'

I know that when you have 'Cuando' in the future tense, it becomes the subjunctive, and is 'the project is developed' a passive? Or does it not become a passive because of the subjunctive?

If I were to say: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso', would that make sense? If not, what should I say? (please explain why!)

Thank you

tl;dr: Does this make sense: 'Cuando el proyecto sea desarrollado, el trafico aéreo será más denso' if I want to say: 'When the project is developed air traffic will be denser.'?
    Sounds ok to me
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Mary)
    Sounds ok to me
    Thank you
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviluck)

Thank you

Hmm I'm not sure about the use of 'sea' because generally the phrase is 'estar desarrollado'..
    It depends on the context of your sentence.
    Are you trying to say when the project is fully developed (as in it has finished being developed?) Because then i'm pretty sure it would be with estar ... In the sense 'When the project is (finished being) developed, air traffic will be denser'
    check out this word reference page for 'estar desarrollado' and see what you think: http://www.wordreference.com/es/tran...word=developed

ser desarrollado would mean more in the sense it's still being developed. Like you'd say 'empezó a ser desarrollado' or 'está siendo desarrollado'
    With 'cuando' it's more likely that they mean when it's finished being developed.

Hope that makes sense. I don't claim to be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure! Hopefully with what I've said we can work it out together :P
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess.leia)
    Hmm I'm not sure about the use of 'sea' because generally the phrase is 'estar desarrollado'..
    It depends on the context of your sentence.
    Are you trying to say when the project is fully developed (as in it has finished being developed?) Because then i'm pretty sure it would be with estar ... In the sense 'When the project is (finished being) developed, air traffic will be denser'
    check out this word reference page for 'estar desarrollado' and see what you think: http://www.wordreference.com/es/tran...word=developed

ser desarrollado would mean more in the sense it's still being developed. Like you'd say 'empezó a ser desarrollado' or 'está siendo desarrollado'
    With 'cuando' it's more likely that they mean when it's finished being developed.

Hope that makes sense. I don't claim to be 100% sure but I'm pretty sure! Hopefully with what I've said we can work it out together :P
    That's interesting, thank you . The original sentence came from a grammar worksheet about using the subjunctive after certain expressions (such as 'cuando'), so do you think I should put estar into the subjunctive?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hola,

this is going to sound really silly but I was wondering if someone could help me with some Spanish? I want to translate "the old capital" (as in capital city) and I thought it would be "la capital antigua" but on the mark scheme, it says it's "la antigua capital". I thought you could only put masculine adjectives in front of the noun, so I'm a bit confused.

Thanks

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 25, 2014
New on TSR

Ways to improve university

Should university be free and harder to get in to?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.