The Student Room Group

Lost in Translation? We are here to help...

Scroll to see replies

Thanks, guys. Much appreciated... I had got the gist, but you have clarified and expanded upon the meaning for me! Many thanks. How is your German so good, btw? Are you Austrian?
fuglyduckling
Thanks, guys. Much appreciated... I had got the gist, but you have clarified and expanded upon the meaning for me! Many thanks. How is your German so good, btw? Are you Austrian?

yes, I am austrian. But Schiller is still quite hard to translate
austrian guy
yes, I am austrian. But Schiller is still quite hard to translate

hehe, funny question "are you austrian?" when ur name clearly reads "austrian guy" !

and yes, you're telling me! (that Schiller's hard to translate!)
If you're interersted, here is the online version of the text: http://gutenberg.spiegel.de/schiller/verbrech/verbrech.htm

Schiller can be awfully esoteric at times, which is why I find it hard! Thanks for your help :smile: Best of luck with your uni applications!
Reply 84
not a problem missing my posts, just thought my linguistic value was being under-appreciated! lol well seeing as you asked my opinion hehe firstly my name is alexjoh1, not alek! secondly, if you check my signature, i would hardly call a grade B at AS a beginner's qualification! thirdly i spent so much time in portugal this summer working with portuguese natives that i would say my level in portuguese is higher that the level i am in french and spanish- sounds very odd considering they are the languages i'm studying on my degree programme!! hehe that was all in gest, i am perfectly happy with how you have set it out! just glad to help!
alexjoh1
not a problem missing my posts, just thought my linguistic value was being under-appreciated! lol well seeing as you asked my opinion hehe firstly my name is alexjoh1, not alek! secondly, if you check my signature, i would hardly call a grade B at AS a beginner's qualification! thirdly i spent so much time in portugal this summer working with portuguese natives that i would say my level in portuguese is higher that the level i am in french and spanish- sounds very odd considering they are the languages i'm studying on my degree programme!! hehe that was all in gest, i am perfectly happy with how you have set it out! just glad to help!

sorry about the oopsie with ur name!
i will change it now!

linguistics values are never under-appreciated in the translation crew!
i don't know why i got the impression u were a beginner in portuguese... i'll make a new subtitle for that. brilliant! another language!
Reply 86
oh dear! no i was kidding! completely! i was being sarcastic!
alexjoh1
oh dear! no i was kidding! completely! i was being sarcastic!

woah what? about what??
Reply 88
i don't expect you to change it, i was being sarcastic with the firstly/secondly/thirdly, it seemed arrogant! but no worries, you didn't take it the wrong, i just forget some people don't get my sense of humour sometimes, but not a problem! forget i even said anything!
alexjoh1
i don't expect you to change it, i was being sarcastic with the firstly/secondly/thirdly, it seemed arrogant! but no worries, you didn't take it the wrong, i just forget some people don't get my sense of humour sometimes, but not a problem! forget i even said anything!

noooo silly! i completely understand!

anyway, u wrote urself that all that was in jest or something!

and when i said "brilliant! another language!" - i wasn't being sarcy too! (i think it might have sounded sarcy! i really DO want loadsa loadsa languages!)

any other problem or query i can help with? hahah lol!
grrr....own up! who gave me a neg-rep saying "u do my head in"

whose head am i "doing in" ? i try to be so nice i swear!
ok help people, need to translate to german

"ok, sorry to hear your computer crashed, did u download the file again?"
"ok, es tut mir leid, dass dein Computer gecrasht ist. Haben Sie die Datei wieder heruntergeladen?"

but please can someone else confirm, i'm not sure!
OK, es tut mir leid, dass dein PC abgestürzt ist. Hast du die Datei wieder heruntergeladen? (Haben sie... - formal)
austrian guy
OK, es tut mir leid, dass dein PC abgestürzt ist. Hast du die Datei wieder heruntergeladen? (Haben sie... - formal)

just to let u know - i used "gecrasht" because imre wanted a translation from GERMAN to ENGLISH once, and it had the word "gecrasht" in it (written by the german person) so thats where i picked it up from. is this a real word? its probably one of them invented, colloquial term, right?
and yes, ur right about the "hast du, haben sie" thing!
linguist786
just to let u know - i used "gecrasht" because imre wanted a translation from GERMAN to ENGLISH once, and it had the word "gecrasht" in it (written by the german person) so thats where i picked it up from. is this a real word? its probably one of them invented, colloquial term, right?
and yes, ur right about the "hast du, haben sie" thing!

well obiviously many young german speaking people like using english or at least genglish terms...
austrian guy
well obiviously many young german speaking people like using english or at least genglish terms...

"genglish" hahah. nice!
Reply 97
you can also use gedownloadet, no?
Fleece
you can also use gedownloadet, no?

well you could but downgeloadet is better, or even better: heruntergeladen

Well, you can use them all
austrian guy
well you could but downgeloadet is better, or even better: heruntergeladen

Well, you can use them all

"downgeloadet" hahaha that is hilarious!!

one thing i find funny in german is the fact that they use the word "wellness" when they're talking about health or something... that is just stupid!

there's so many examples like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending