The Student Room Group

Rescue Remedy experiences

Hey guys,

I have my retest coming up on Friday. I know my nerves will get the better of me again so I was thinking of trying Rescue Remedy. It would be helpful if you could post your experiences with Rescue Remedy and whether you feel it was effective.

My questions are; how long before the test did you take it? Did it make you drowsy?

Thanks in advance. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Reply 2
Original post by whattheheck
Anyone?

It worked for me, not sure whether it was real solutions or a placebo effect but who cares? I got the spray (there's other versions) and used it when I arrived at the test centre while I was waiting for the examiner to appear.

Good Luck
Reply 3
I took some Kalms tablets before my last test, I did feel slightly calmer but it could just have been because I was prepared better (I didn't pass, but that was just bad luck on the roads).
Maybe take some on a day before Friday and see if it affects you? Then you can also see how long you have to take it before it starts to work.

Also, I don't think Rescue Remedy has anything in it to make you drowsy.
Reply 4
Original post by The_Goose
It worked for me, not sure whether it was real solutions or a placebo effect but who cares? I got the spray (there's other versions) and used it when I arrived at the test centre while I was waiting for the examiner to appear.

Good Luck

Original post by -aimz
I took some Kalms tablets before my last test, I did feel slightly calmer but it could just have been because I was prepared better (I didn't pass, but that was just bad luck on the roads).
Maybe take some on a day before Friday and see if it affects you? Then you can also see how long you have to take it before it starts to work.

Thanks for your replies!

CONGRATULATIONS The_Goose on your 1st! Well done!
Reply 5
Thanks for your replies!

CONGRATULATIONS The_Goose on your 1st! Well done!

Thank you =D
Original post by -aimz

It doesn't have anything chemical in it (apart from it's made from alcohol). It's completely placebo apart from that. But belief/placebo is a strong, strong effect.
Does not do anything. You're basically spraying water on your tongue. It's homeopathy which is pure bull**** in a bottle. You might get a placebo effect (which is not to be underestimated actually) but that's all.

I will tell you what does work though: Beta blockers. I failed my test thrice entirely due to nerves until I got some of these. It doesn't stop you feeling nervous exactly, it just stops the symptoms (fast heart rate, shakes etc.) Believe me you will not regret it. Works for job interviews too.
Reply 8
Original post by chocolatepeanut
It doesn't have anything chemical in it (apart from it's made from alcohol). It's completely placebo apart from that. But belief/placebo is a strong, strong effect.

I agree. I have read multiple reviews and I have convinced myself it will work. Worth a try, I guess.
Reply 9
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Does not work. You're basically spraying water on your tongue. It's homeopathy which is pure bull**** in a bottle. You might get a placebo effect (which is not to be underestimated actually) but that's all.

I will tell you what does work though: Beta blockers. I failed my test thrice entirely due to nerves until I got some of these. It doesn't stop you feeling nervous exactly, it just stops the symptoms (fast heart rate, shakes etc.) Believe me you will not regret it. Works for job interviews too.

Ooh, interesting. How would I purchase Beta blockers?
Reply 10
Worked for me aswell, passed first time. Might of been a placebo effect but oh well.
Reply 11
Original post by LukeSimms
Worked for me aswell, passed first time. Might of been a placebo effect but oh well.

Congratulations on passing! Were nerves a problem for you? How long before the test did you take it?
I've tried it before.. I agree it is mostly placebo effect, but can be strong if you really want it to work. I would take some maybe before leaving the house or whatever, and a bit more just before going into the exam I guess. I used the drops version, just tastes like alcohol, and there shouldn't be any side effects or drowsiness, there's not really anything in it at all. :smile:
Ooh, interesting. How would I purchase Beta blockers?

They're prescription only but you can get them prescribed for performance anxiety. My GP was fine about it, though if yours is an arse make it clear that your anxiety is beyond normal and you need these as a one off.

They were actually developed for heart conditions but they are entirely safe as a one off.

Some info from wiki:
Anxiety and performance enhancement
There is clear evidence from many controlled trials in the past 25 years that beta blockers are effective in anxiety disorders, though the mechanism of action is not known.[15] Some people have used beta blockers for performance enhancement, and especially to combat performance anxiety. In particular, musicians, public speakers, actors, and professional dancers, have been known to use beta blockers to avoid stage fright and tremor during public performance and especially auditions.

The application to stage fright was first recognized in The Lancet in 1976 and by 1987, a survey conducted by the International Conference of Symphony Orchestra Musicians, representing the 51 largest orchestras in the United States, revealed that 27 percent of its musicians had used beta blockers and that 70 percent obtained them from friends, not physicians.[16] Beta blockers are inexpensive, said to be relatively safe and, on one hand, seem to improve musicians performances on a technical level while some say the performance may be perceived as "soulless and inauthentic".[16]

The physiological symptoms of the fight/flight response associated with performance anxiety and panic (pounding heart, cold/clammy hands, increased respiration, sweating, etc.) are significantly reduced, thus enabling anxious individuals to concentrate on the task at hand. Stutterers also use beta blockers to avoid fight/flight responses, hence reducing the tendency to stutter. Officially, beta blockers are not approved for anxiolytic use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.[17]

Since they promote a lower heart rate and reduce tremor, beta blockers have been used by some Olympic marksmen to enhance performance, though beta blockers are banned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).[18] Although they have no recognisable benefit to most sports, it is acknowledged that they are beneficial to sports such as archery and shooting. A recent, high-profile transgression took place in the 2008 Summer Olympics, where 50 metre pistol silver medallist and 10 metre air pistol bronze medallist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medal.
Reply 14
Original post by Amwazicles
I've tried it before.. I agree it is mostly placebo effect, but can be strong if you really want it to work. I would take some maybe before leaving the house or whatever, and a bit more just before going into the exam I guess. I used the drops version, just tastes like alcohol, and there shouldn't be any side effects or drowsiness, there's not really anything in it at all. :smile:

Yeah, most people agree with you. But, I might just try it anyway. The last thing I wanted was to start acting drunk during the test. Can you imagine that!
Does not do anything. You're basically spraying water on your tongue. It's homeopathy which is pure bull**** in a bottle. You might get a placebo effect (which is not to be underestimated actually) but that's all.

Absolutely, and yea, beta blockers are very good. I've heard similar for Ritalin, never taken it though.

You won't get beta blockers without a prescription though.
Reply 16
They're prescription only but you can get them prescribed for performance anxiety. My GP was fine about it, though if yours is an arse make it clear that your anxiety is beyond normal and you need these as a one off.

They were actually developed for heart conditions but they are entirely safe as a one off.

Some info from wiki:
Anxiety and performance enhancement
There is clear evidence from many controlled trials in the past 25 years that beta blockers are effective in anxiety disorders, though the mechanism of action is not known.[15] Some people have used beta blockers for performance enhancement, and especially to combat performance anxiety. In particular, musicians, public speakers, actors, and professional dancers, have been known to use beta blockers to avoid stage fright and tremor during public performance and especially auditions.

The application to stage fright was first recognized in The Lancet in 1976 and by 1987, a survey conducted by the International Conference of Symphony Orchestra Musicians, representing the 51 largest orchestras in the United States, revealed that 27 percent of its musicians had used beta blockers and that 70 percent obtained them from friends, not physicians.[16] Beta blockers are inexpensive, said to be relatively safe and, on one hand, seem to improve musicians performances on a technical level while some say the performance may be perceived as "soulless and inauthentic".[16]

The physiological symptoms of the fight/flight response associated with performance anxiety and panic (pounding heart, cold/clammy hands, increased respiration, sweating, etc.) are significantly reduced, thus enabling anxious individuals to concentrate on the task at hand. Stutterers also use beta blockers to avoid fight/flight responses, hence reducing the tendency to stutter. Officially, beta blockers are not approved for anxiolytic use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.[17]

Since they promote a lower heart rate and reduce tremor, beta blockers have been used by some Olympic marksmen to enhance performance, though beta blockers are banned by the International Olympic Committee (IOC).[18] Although they have no recognisable benefit to most sports, it is acknowledged that they are beneficial to sports such as archery and shooting. A recent, high-profile transgression took place in the 2008 Summer Olympics, where 50 metre pistol silver medallist and 10 metre air pistol bronze medallist Kim Jong-su tested positive for propranolol and was stripped of his medal.

Cool. Thanks BTW. I have been prescribed propranolol in the past. But, I never picked up the prescription.
Yeah, most people agree with you. But, I might just try it anyway. The last thing I wanted was to start acting drunk during the test. Can you imagine that!

Yeah, but its such a tiny amount it doesn't really make a difference, its like three drops or something :teehee: And I would recommend trying it, because it literally can't do any harm, and lots of people believe in homeopathic remedies like it. Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 18
Congratulations on passing! Were nerves a problem for you? How long before the test did you take it?

Thanks, was a few months ago now so can't remember exactly what times i took it but i think i just took it an hour before my test, i had the drops. Nerves was a problem for me and I almost failed on my maneuver reversing around a corner but I stopped and gathered myself and corrected it and only got a minor :smile: Although at the time I thought I had failed so I just thought "**** it" and carried on with the test with no nerves and passed :biggrin: lol.
Reply 19
Original post by Amwazicles
Yeah, but its such a tiny amount it doesn't really make a difference, its like three drops or something :teehee: And I would recommend trying it, because it literally can't do any harm, and lots of people believe in homeopathic remedies like it. Good luck :biggrin:

Thank you! I need all the luck I can get! :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending