The Student Room Group

kicked out of imperial 2nd year

So after three years, I still can't manage to do an Imperial maths degree. I've been kicked officially.
Didn't see that coming so didn't apply for ucas early... what are my chances in clearing?
outside academics I've interned in ibanks during summer twice, so career-wise i'm alright.
Would unis like QM/royal/King's be realistic, since I'm three years late into uni?
Grades back in alevels are AAAAA. work exp as above. Looking for econ/business/management now...
please help, i'm pretty troubled now...

Scroll to see replies

lol you got owned :/

try a different uni...
Reply 2
Original post by gateux
So after three years, I still can't manage to do an Imperial maths degree. I've been kicked officially.
Didn't see that coming so didn't apply for ucas early... what are my chances in clearing?
outside academics I've interned in ibanks during summer twice, so career-wise i'm alright.
Would unis like QM/royal/King's be realistic, since I'm three years late into uni?
Grades back in alevels are AAAAA. work exp as above. Looking for econ/business/management now...

wat happened?
It's going to be tough since competition for a university place this year is very competitive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
I'm international student so i'm paying full fee anyway.
As long as i get a decent uni i'm ok.
I can't manage imperial maths, so time to get real.
This is something I take very seriously. You got off lightly.
Reply 6
I am trying to stay optimistic... I cried for nights before coming on to ask.
Now I just want to focus on new applications, so I will see what I can do really.
Reply 7
Wait, why did you get officially kicked off from the course?
Reply 8
failed retakes, of course.
Yes, I'm bad at maths and I can't manage the course. So I'm looking to go back to something I like i.e. econ/business
Original post by gateux

Sorry to hear about your situation mate, must be tough.

You come across really well, great A-levels and 2 IB internships is fantastic! I can imagine Imperial Maths must be a killer. Glad to see you still persevering rather than quitting altogether!

With your A-levels, you could definitely find a place at QM and Royal Holloway...maybe King's if they have spaces. If you check UCAS and search for 2011 courses at these unis, the ones that have 'x' next to them means they are not yet full!

Here's King's for example:
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QznKmodlBTyCVZX6uLX6uU8wV5MWC-UeIf/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=&cmbQual=&cmbAttend=&cmbInst=K60&chkExtra=Y&button1.x=29&button1.y=15

As you can see, they have courses like computer science, physics and even their Mathematics with management and finance course are still available. King's doesn't really do econ/business courses though.

Check QM, they have loads still open. Pretty much all of their economics courses are available on UCAS Extra.
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QznKmodlBTyCVZX6uLX6uU8wV5MWC-UeIf/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=&cmbQual=&cmbAttend=&cmbInst=Q50&chkExtra=Y&button1.x=38&button1.y=15

You may find this hard to believe but even Cass have a lot of their courses on Extra/Clearing every year. Might be less this year but it's definitely worth a try considering what field of study you're want to get into.

You have your A-level results already, don't wait any longer contact the universities NOW! In 2 weeks when everybody gets their results and clearing starts, the places will be taken hot cakes!

Best of luck mate :smile:
Reply 10
Why dont u try getting a transfer to an 'easier' uni maths or maths related course, like UCL, Kings, QM. And that way not have to start again
tbh OP...since you are international....

take this year out and do some work/more internships/get money

reapply next year for places such as kings/UCL etc.....since it makes no difference to you what the fees are....

its better than going to a crap uni this year for the sake of it
Reply 12
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
Sorry to hear about your situation mate, must be tough.

You come across really well, great A-levels and 2 IB internships is fantastic! I can imagine Imperial Maths must be a killer. Glad to see you still persevering rather than quitting altogether!

With your A-levels, you could definitely find a place at QM and Royal Holloway...maybe King's if they have spaces. If you check UCAS and search for 2011 courses at these unis, the ones that have 'x' next to them means they are not yet full!

Here's King's for example:
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QznKmodlBTyCVZX6uLX6uU8wV5MWC-UeIf/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=&cmbQual=&cmbAttend=&cmbInst=K60&chkExtra=Y&button1.x=29&button1.y=15

As you can see, they have courses like computer science, physics and even their Mathematics with management and finance course are still available. King's doesn't really do econ/business courses though.

Check QM, they have loads still open. Pretty much all of their economics courses are available on UCAS Extra.
http://search.ucas.com/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/QznKmodlBTyCVZX6uLX6uU8wV5MWC-UeIf/HAHTpage/search.HsSearch.submitForm?txtSubject=&cmbQual=&cmbAttend=&cmbInst=Q50&chkExtra=Y&button1.x=38&button1.y=15

You may find this hard to believe but even Cass have a lot of their courses on Extra/Clearing every year. Might be less this year but it's definitely worth a try considering what field of study you're want to get into.

You have your A-level results already, don't wait any longer contact the universities NOW! In 2 weeks when everybody gets their results and clearing starts, the places will be taken hot cakes!

Best of luck mate :smile:

Thank you for your kind words :smile:
I have came too long way to shatter now... after all, i thought all's going well with two IB interns and stuff, yes I can't believe I got kicked, but if I'm too **** for Imperial, then let me start somewhere else fresh.

Kings is pretty much closed... they replied to me. I'm hopeing QM would accept my application for econ finance. And of course CASS, they'd be good for some **** student like me.

No more maths/physics/computing lol. Imperial proved to me I'm **** at Maths, so I will go back to Econ which I like most!

Actually UCAS is closed until clearing, so I can only email them and ask... fingers crossed they will have something nice for me.

I do have results now (2008 lol), don't I still need for clearing though?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by infernalcradle
tbh OP...since you are international....

take this year out and do some work/more internships/get money

reapply next year for places such as kings/UCL etc.....since it makes no difference to you what the fees are....

its better than going to a crap uni this year for the sake of it

I thought about it... I think my exp are quite decent already, so I wouldn't like to take another year out. In my case it's already 3 years out already, taking another might be disastrous.
I will consider transferring though. I think I can ace QM econ or similar uni's econ/business, and than I'll see if transferring could do.
A crap student who got kicked out by imperial deserves crap uni now. I will try to improve what I have, but I don't want to be 4 years out of uni.... :frown:

Original post by musti123
Why dont u try getting a transfer to an 'easier' uni maths or maths related course, like UCL, Kings, QM. And that way not have to start again

They dont take transfers to 2nd year without a 2.1 in Imperial lol there's practically no uni that allows me a 2nd year entry. Nevermind though, I'd rather start fresh in a subject I like. The imperial story is enough a lesson to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's good to see you keep going :smile: You're A Levels are fantastic and the internships are good to have so they'll work in your favour. What about LSE, Loughborough (I know they're good for business, not sure about economics), Notts, Leeds...
Original post by gateux

A crap student who got kicked out by imperial deserves crap uni now. I will try to improve what I have, but I don't want to be 4 years out of uni.... :frown:.

Try to stay positive. Just because you found maths tricky doesn't mean you'll be bad at other subjects - maths at university level is very different from a-level and lots of people find themselves disinterested or they find that the subject is now too abstract.

To all the people being unfair to the OP: Have you tried imperial maths? It's pretty tricky!
Reply 16
Clearing has already opened for those with no offers (you'd fall into this category).
Best hting to do would be to phone all the universities you're interested in and seee if they have a place available. As soon as they say they do, get straight online and snap that place up in Clearing.
You seem pretty dedicated, I'm sure you'll get sorted out.
Just sound uber positive on the phone, dont mention Imperial at all :smile:
Original post by gateux

Actually UCAS is closed until clearing, so I can only email them and ask... fingers crossed they will have something nice for me.

I do have results now (2008 lol), don't I still need for clearing though?

As mentioned already, I think UCAS is open for those with no offers.

But it's better to do contact admissions tutor directly, let them assess your situation in a more direct manner and if they have a place for you they'll ask for your UCAS ID and they'll give you an offer through the system.

You should register for a UCAS account if you haven't already, universities won't give you an offer without one or else they get fined for enrolling unofficially.
Original post by gateux
I think I can ace QM econ or similar uni's econ/business, and than I'll see if transferring could do.
A crap student who got kicked out by imperial deserves crap uni now.

You calling QM crap? That self-righteous attitude's not going to get you anywhere. Hope they don't let you in so you do really end up going to a 'crap' uni.
Reply 19
Original post by xnatalie01x
It's good to see you keep going :smile: You're A Levels are fantastic and the internships are good to have so they'll work in your favour. What about LSE, Loughborough (I know they're good for business, not sure about economics), Notts, Leeds...

Thank you for your kind words :smile: LSE is gonna be a fail lol too high a class. I should have applied start of my retake years, but I have to pay for my lack of foresight.

Original post by IrrationalNumber
Try to stay positive. Just because you found maths tricky doesn't mean you'll be bad at other subjects - maths at university level is very different from a-level and lots of people find themselves disinterested or they find that the subject is now too abstract.

To all the people being unfair to the OP: Have you tried imperial maths? It's pretty tricky!

I won't find excuse for my own stupidity... People are graduating with 2.1 or firsts and I got kicked out. Obviously I am not qualified to Maths in Imperial.
But I'm confident my economics would do (tbh I wanted Econ more than Maths in 2008 ucas... lol), so I'll stay optimistic :smile:
Thanks for your support!

Original post by sjj9456
Clearing has already opened for those with no offers (you'd fall into this category).
Best hting to do would be to phone all the universities you're interested in and seee if they have a place available. As soon as they say they do, get straight online and snap that place up in Clearing.
You seem pretty dedicated, I'm sure you'll get sorted out.
Just sound uber positive on the phone, dont mention Imperial at all :smile:

Three years without UCAS, I'm starting to forget how things work lol I've started emailing unis and hopefully will get some good news! And I need to mention Imperial... it's a three year gap, no one in the world could explain that lol

Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
As mentioned already, I think UCAS is open for those with no offers.

But it's better to do contact admissions tutor directly, let them assess your situation in a more direct manner and if they have a place for you they'll ask for your UCAS ID and they'll give you an offer through the system.

You should register for a UCAS account if you haven't already, universities won't give you an offer without one or else they get fined for enrolling unofficially.

haha I got it wrong, I heard from my friend doing the same last year and said UCAS is closed at this time until clearing. I'm asking my tutor to get me a reference... hopefully Imperial would help me this one last time.

Original post by Stanley90
You calling QM crap? That self-righteous attitude's not going to get you anywhere. Hope they don't let you in so you do really end up going to a 'crap' uni.

To be fair, comparing IC with QM does make a difference. Of course I overstated it, but yep, put yourself in the same situation, you would do the same.

P.S. as we speak, Royal Holloway made me a first year offer! He wants transcript for second year consideration though (third honour kkkkk), will see if I can convince them to make a second year offer! Hopefully QM will offer me a second (or first) year offer for econ! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending