The Student Room Group

kicked out of imperial 2nd year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stanley90
You calling QM crap? That self-righteous attitude's not going to get you anywhere. Hope they don't let you in so you do really end up going to a 'crap' uni.

Well, not really self-righteous attitude considering he's calling himself a crap student.

It's just his perspective, by his standards he's been a 'crap student' looking to go into a 'crap' uni. Give the guy a break, and let's be honest here QM doesn't even come close to Imperial so yeah he's right in that it is a massive downgrade.
Reply 21
OP I must give it to you. You're the first person on here that i've seen fail, drop out or didn't do so well and NOT make an excuse. For that you have my utmost respect.
Original post by Xenomorph v2.1
Well, not really self-righteous attitude considering he's calling himself a crap student.

It's just his perspective, by his standards he's been a 'crap student' looking to go into a 'crap' uni. Give the guy a break, and let's be honest here QM doesn't even come close to Imperial so yeah he's right in that it is a massive downgrade.

Would they give him an offer if he rocks up to their front desk and says "hey I'm a crap student looking to get into a crap uni, whatchoo got for me?".

Imperial might be academically better but most people say the environment there is terrible, immensely overcompetitive and intense etc.

I find it unfair that Op is calling QM crap when he hasn't been there and frankly I highly doubt he will be singing the same tune when he gets an ACTUAL DEGREE successfully from there or his other prospective crap unis.
Original post by ifstatement
It's going to be tough since competition for a university place this year is very competitive. One girl I know wanted to do psychology at a reasonably ranked university, all were full though by the time she applied. She also didn't want to end up paying the triple fees so where did she end up applying?

London South Bank university. This is just an example of how desperate some people are trying in getting a university place this year.

You can always try clearing though, who knows what you might get out of it.

Unless you've been to LSBU and know what they're like first hand, don't diss it.
Reply 24
To have gotten into Imperial you must have been a good student. You've got great grades and two IB internships which is very impressive. You need to stop feeling that you're 'a crap student' cuz you aren't. You've decided that maths isn't for you and maybe it isn't or maybe it was just that imperial's course wasn't for you, so going for a subject such as economics which you enjoy is very sensible.

Why don't you try Nottingham? They're great for economics. Also on their website their typical offer for international students is lower than that for UK students which probably means that they're trying to attract more international students. Also Nottingham's pure economics course is very flexible and so you can decide exactly how much maths you want to do for your economics course and will get awarded a BA or a BSc according to the modules that you've chosen.

You need to believe in yourself and if you prove your determination to succeed and your love for economics to the universities to which you're now going to apply to I'm sure they'll take you. Btw as maths is important for economics don't tell the unis that you hate it. Just tell them that you feel that you've realised that a pure maths course isn't for you and explain clearly why you feel that economics is the subject for you.

Believe in yourself and your abilities. Where there's a will, there's a way. Good Luck!
Original post by gateux
So after three years, I still can't manage to do an Imperial maths degree. I've been kicked officially.
Didn't see that coming so didn't apply for ucas early... what are my chances in clearing?
outside academics I've interned in ibanks during summer twice, so career-wise i'm alright.
Would unis like QM/royal/King's be realistic, since I'm three years late into uni?
Grades back in alevels are AAAAA. work exp as above. Looking for econ/business/management now...
please help, i'm pretty troubled now...

I feel for you :frown:
Reply 26
with ur decent a level grades it shouldn't be a problem getting into a half decent uni, although im suprised you failed with such good grades in the first place - did u not work hard or something?
Original post by gateux
Three years without UCAS, I'm starting to forget how things work lol I've started emailing unis and hopefully will get some good news! And I need to mention Imperial... it's a three year gap, no one in the world could explain that lol

You were in a coma :wink: shussssshhh!

Original post by gateux
P.S. as we speak, Royal Holloway made me a first year offer! He wants transcript for second year consideration though (third honour kkkkk), will see if I can convince them to make a second year offer! Hopefully QM will offer me a second (or first) year offer for econ! :biggrin:

Well that's certainly fortunate. Congrats.
Reply 28
Sorryto hear about that. I think working for a year is a good idea if you want to get a break from university.

Hope everything turns out ok :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by gateux
So after three years, I still can't manage to do an Imperial maths degree. I've been kicked officially.
Didn't see that coming so didn't apply for ucas early... what are my chances in clearing?
outside academics I've interned in ibanks during summer twice, so career-wise i'm alright.
Would unis like QM/royal/King's be realistic, since I'm three years late into uni?
Grades back in alevels are AAAAA. work exp as above. Looking for econ/business/management now...

You must have been a good student to have gotten into Imperial in the first place, also you've got great A Level grades so you need to stop feeling that you're a 'crap' students because you're not. Also, two IB internships is very impressive. Maybe it was just that maths wasn't the right course for you or maybe Imperial's course wasn't right for you, so its sensible that you're going to now try for a subject such as economics which you enjoy.

Why don't you try Nottingham. They're great for economics. Also, their website shows that their entry requirements for international students is lower than that for UK students, for economics, which probably means that they're trying to attract more international students. Also, their economics L100 is very flexible and you can choose exactly how much maths you want to do for your economics course, and you get awarded a BA or a BSc according to the modules that you've choose.

If you prove your determination to succed and your love for economics to the universities that you apply to, I'm sure that they'll take you. Just don't mention that you hate/dislike maths because maths is important for an economics degree. Just stress on the fact that you've decided that a pure maths course isn't for you and explain clearly why you think you'd be good at economics.

Believe in yourself and your abilities. Where there's a will there's a way. Good Luck!
Reply 30
Thanks all for the comments!

I tried and I worked... Especially I have deferred a year already to retake the failed modules. The work isn't enough to get me a pass. I must be lacking in Mathematical abilities. To put it into context, I'm good at calculations which is what are tested in A-Levels, but abstract stuffs which Imperial focuses in, isn't something I can cope with.
If my ability in Mathematics is lacking, I will go back doing Economics what is what I loved. Maybe I could get into UCL econ three years before, but it's no use regretting now.

Guys, now I have another problem...
As I have said I received an offer for Royal Holloway Economics now, but that guy's pressing for my transcript and want the deal done asap... I just sent emails to twenty unis (lol) today and really would like to wait for some alternatives... Thing is, I want to either stay close to Central London if possible (QM meets that criteria), or hopefully something better comes at clearing (e.g. bristol last year got clearing at econ!).
Would he take back the offer if I waited a little longer? I mean, that guy literally said he don't care where the transcript comes from (I tried to hold him a little longer by saying transcript comes from my tutor), he needs it ASAP.
Should I try delaying him for a few days and see what comes along? I ain't 100% sure how clearing works here now. I don't have a UCAS account right now (waiting for my tutor to ref it), wouldn't they be unable to make official offers yet? Should I just send him the transcripts for second year consideration WHILE saying my ucas account is being prepared by my tutor (which is true), so that I can hold him off and wait for some better offers?
Lastly, how does RH/QM/CASS compare? I haven't got offers from QM/CASS but should be getting it soon...
Original post by gateux

Lastly, how does RH/QM/CASS compare? I haven't got offers from QM/CASS but should be getting it soon...

Can't advice you on the other questions, but as for this, assuming from your internships that you want to work in finance then:

Cass >>> QM>RH.
Although RH might be slightly better than QM academically, QM has the location for you to attend career fairs and events more readily. Also there are better networking opportunities there and you can make full use of the shared UoL facilities. They also have more visits from IBs than RH. RH had one IB visit it last year and that was RBS.
Reply 32
Can't advice you on the other questions, but as for this, assuming from your internships that you want to work in finance then:

Cass >>> QM>RH.
Although RH might be slightly better than QM academically, QM has the location for you to attend career fairs and events more readily. Also there are better networking opportunities there and you can make full use of the shared UoL facilities. They also have more visits from IBs than RH. RH had one IB visit it last year and that was RBS.

I thought so... Do you think I should call up QM and Cass to explain the situation and ask them if they can offer me a place in light of the RH offer, or do I wait and see?
Original post by gateux
I thought so... Do you think I should call up QM and Cass to explain the situation and ask them if they can offer me a place in light of the RH offer, or do I wait and see?

Yeah I think you should get in contact with them asap, the sooner you know which offers are on the table the better.
Reply 34
Yeah I think you should get in contact with them asap, the sooner you know which offers are on the table the better.

Yep, hopefully I'll get some more positive responses.

Anyone knows how such situation works? If I accepted RH offer does that mean I won't be able to get some other offers? Some Clearing masters' advice will be appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by gateux
failed retakes, of course.
Yes, I'm bad at maths and I can't manage the course. So I'm looking to go back to something I like i.e. econ/business

Wow, I'm now terrified of this happening to me :|, sorry to hear about it.
Reply 36
Original post by anil10100
Wow, I'm now terrified of this happening to me :|, sorry to hear about it.

Don't be. Few are as crappy as I am. I should have known, that I'm only good at calculations but not dealing with abstract maths. Most are good enough in Imperial, it's just my own inability.
You will be fine, don't worry.
Original post by gateux

adjust ?
Reply 38
Original post by treacletart01
adjust ?

I don't even remember we have adjust three years ago. I have a verbal offer from Royal Holloway now, but I don't want to rush it... (they wanted to, of course)
I guess I have to play it carefully from now on.
Reply 39
Original post by gateux
Don't be. Few are as crappy as I am. I should have known, that I'm only good at calculations but not dealing with abstract maths. Most are good enough in Imperial, it's just my own inability.
You will be fine, don't worry.

But I have the exact same worries of only being good at calculations & not at abstract maths?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending