The Student Room Group

Insurance to expensive for corsa !!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jimcatinnes
Direct line were "unable to give me a quote at this time"

Even when I called, "sorry it won't let me for some reason"

And you're younger than me :| lol

OP try Admiral and add named drivers, without named drivers my insurance cost £6000 with two named drivers (mum and grandad) that came down to about £2400 fully comp.

But that's with my new car (2L 2007 Clio) my old car (1.2L 1993 Corsa :P) was £1450.

The problem I have with Admiral/Elephant and the like is if you do the accelerator bonus scheme often paying monthly shoots up the cost. I had a quote for £1356, paying monthly turned it into £1900.
Original post by Teh User
The problem I have with Admiral/Elephant and the like is if you do the accelerator bonus scheme often paying monthly shoots up the cost. I had a quote for £1356, paying monthly turned it into £1900.

The majority do that though, they add interest.
Reply 22
Original post by jimcatinnes
The majority do that though, they add interest.

I was expecting some interest like £150-£200 extra, not £500. My insurance was more expensive last year (£2,200) but it only had a credit charge of £140.
(edited 12 years ago)

How the hell do you get quotes like that? I haven't read the full thread, but I'm going to assume this is your first car. I tried Admiral and I get quotes of around £4000. Seriously, I'd kill to get quotes like yours.

EDIT: Just read above post, and that you had insurance before. Still though, I'm lucky if I get quotes as low as £3000.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
How the hell do you get quotes like that? I haven't read the full thread, but I'm going to assume this is your first car. I tried Admiral and I get quotes of around £4000. Seriously, I'd kill to get quotes like yours.

EDIT: Just read above post, and that you had insurance before. Still though, I'm lucky if I get quotes as low as £3000.

I had the same problem last year. I had to stomach it. If you can't afford it though just suck it up and don't drive for a while. Simply holding my licence for 6 months to 1 year and turning 18 has nearly halved the cost of the insurance. The NCB doesn't really matter at this point, it's time you've held your licence.
CO-OP INSURANCE!!! the way forward..
Reply 26
Original post by burgergetsbored

I've been with the Co-op for a year now. If you have NCB it's good, a bit of a high price hurdle to get over at first though.
(edited 12 years ago)
I had the same problem last year. I had to stomach it. If you can't afford it though just suck it up and don't drive for a while. Simply holding my licence for 6 months to 1 year and turning 18 has nearly halved the cost of the insurance. The NCB doesn't really matter at this point, it's time you've held your licence.

I'm 19. Held my license since October 2009(nearly 2 years).

Original post by burgergetsbored

I've been with the Co-op for a year now. If you have NCB it's good, a bit of a high price hurdle to get over at first though.

Is this with the SmartBox thing or can you get insurance from Co-Op without it?
Reply 28
I'm 19. Held my license since October 2009(nearly 2 years).

Is this with the SmartBox thing or can you get insurance from Co-Op without it?

Are you adding named drivers such as your parents, aunties and uncles to the insurance quotes or are you just going on your own? That's what's cut mine down drastically. My Aunty with a safe driving record chopped over £700 off and a second Aunty chopped a further £400 off. Fully comp 12 month with Elephant that way was £1890 from about £3000. Third Party Fire and Theft was £1600 and the 10 month bonus accumulator on Third Party Fire and Theft was £1356 at it's best but I couldn't afford that all at once.

I went with the Co-op again from last year due to the unexpected credit charge and this is on a standard policy without the Smartbox as that was introduced after I got my policy. You can still get a quote for the normal one as I got one the other day out of interest to see if I could beat my renewal (I couldn't). I don't even have NCB with the Co-op due to a technicality and but it was only £1700 fully comp this year.

My details: 18 year old, licence held 1 year 1 month, Category C postcode area, 2001 Fiat Punto parked on the street doing 6,000 miles a year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Get a 10 month accelerator from elephant

Are you adding named drivers such as your parents, aunties and uncles to the insurance quotes or are you just going on your own? That's what's cut mine down drastically. My Aunty with a safe driving record chopped over £700 off and a second Aunty chopped a further £400 off. Fully comp 12 month with Elephant that way was £1890 from about £3000. Third Party Fire and Theft was £1600 and the 10 month bonus accumulator on Third Party Fire and Theft was £1356 at it's best but I couldn't afford that all at once.

I went with the Co-op again from last year due to the unexpected credit charge and this is on a standard policy without the Smartbox as that was introduced after I got my policy. You can still get a quote for the normal one as I got one the other day out of interest to see if I could beat my renewal (I couldn't). I don't even have NCB with the Co-op due to a technicality and but it was only £1700 fully comp this year.

My details: 18 year old, licence held 1 year 1 month, Category C postcode area, 2001 Fiat Punto parked on the street doing 6,000 miles a year.

I tried this out with two of my older sisters and I got a lower quote, just above £3000. However, now when I try it, with the same people or more experienced drivers, it says that I can't get a quote at this time. Strange...?
Reply 31
Original post by History123
Get a 10 month accelerator from elephant

I tried this, but when I asked to pay monthly they stuck a £500 credit charge on it. It's OK if you can pay all in one go though.
Reply 32
I tried this out with two of my older sisters and I got a lower quote, just above £3000. However, now when I try it, with the same people or more experienced drivers, it says that I can't get a quote at this time. Strange...?

Just out of interest try it on Compare the Market, you and 2 very experienced women drivers (held licences for more than 8ish years). The Co-op is odd sometimes with named drivers.

Just out of interest try it on Compare the Market, you and 2 very experienced women drivers (held licences for more than 8ish years). The Co-op is odd sometimes with named drivers.

That's where I've been trying it, and I got the cheapest quote from Elephant.
Reply 34
That's really odd then. TPFT I easily get a quote for £1680 for Elephant. Do you live in a bad area or are you wanting high miles or something? What sort of car are you using as well?

That's really odd then. TPFT I easily get a quote for £1680 for Elephant. Do you live in a bad area or are you wanting high miles or something? What sort of car are you using as well?

Area rated D, 5000 miles a year, TPFT. I'm using a Skoda Fabia as the car to insure. Adding more drivers does seem to work as I found with the quote. I think it's just a case of persevering until I can get a reasonable price. Tbh, I'm looking at anything around(but hopefully under) £2000.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by NOBODY MOVE!
'omg, hi! person living 4 doors from myself who i barely talk to! how are you? good? aww, that's great! so, how many years no claims bonus do you have?'

mmmmmm, smooth 'n' casual. :cool:

You can't use NCB on two policies anyway so you don't need to know that...
Original post by MathsLadette
You can't use NCB on two policies anyway so you don't need to know that...

insurers do ask if each named driver has made a claim/received fines,etc, within the last 5 years though.

yes this is not exactly the same as ncb - because those who protect their ncb and have an accident/claim, still retain ncb itself - but some background into named drivers' recent driving history is requested by them.

even if i had made my hypothetical question along the lines of 'have you been done for speeding in the last 5 years?' instead of mentioning ncb, you seem like the kind who would endeavor to come up with a different sarcastic comment towards me anyways.
Reply 38
How much are you buying the car for? You could say its worth less than that, BUT its a 16valve 1.2 and i'm guessing you are a male under 21? You're going to struggle to find anything much cheaper tbh!

Is it going to be garaged?
Does it have any modifications?
Does it have an alarm?
Can you add a parent to your insurance policy?

Oh and you should always phone up companies to bid them off against each other (even if you make up the price you got with someone else)

Ahh I went under my parents as a named driver so it was £1200 instead of £3500. And tbh earning ncb isn't worth it over a saving of over £2000 to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending