The Student Room Group

Solving a system of differential equations (maybe with Mathematica?)

I have this coupled set of non-linear DE's which I would very much like to get a solution to:

A1ddr(r3dξ1dr)V1r3ξ1+V2ddr(r5dξ1dr)+V4ddr(r4dξ2dr)+V5ddr(r3ξ2)=0A_1 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^3 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}) - V_1 r^3 \xi_1 + V_2 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^5 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}) + V_4 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^4 \dfrac{d \xi_2}{dr}) + V_5 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^3 \xi_2) = 0

and

ddr(r3dξ2dr)rξ2+T1ddr(r3dξ1dr)+T2r2dξ1dr\dfrac{d}{dr} (r^3 \dfrac{d \xi_2}{dr}) - r \xi_2 + T_1 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^3 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}) + T_2 r^2 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}

Some thoughts: apart from that one term at the beginning of equation 1, the system is equidimensional and probably has a solution of the form r^k for some k. However, as it is, we probably don't have a solution of that form.

I've tried putting this into Mathematica by defining

system = {D[r^3*x'[r],r] - r^3*x [r] + D[r^5*x'[r], r] + D[r^4*y'[r], r] + D[r^3*y'[r], r] == 0, D[r^3*y'[r], r] - r*y[r] + D[r^3*x'[r], r] + r^2*x'[r] == 0}

(here I've ignored constants for the time being, and set xi_1 and xi_2 to be x and y).

But when I try and use DSolve on it (ie DSolve[system, {x,y}, r]) I just get the input back as the output. Is this Mathematica's way of saying the system is insoluble?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by around
I have this coupled set of non-linear DE's which I would very much like to get a solution to:

A1ddr(r3dξ1dr)V1r3ξ1+V2ddr(r5dξ1dr)+V4ddr(r4dξ2dr)+V5ddr(r3ξ2)=0A_1 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^3 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}) - V_1 r^3 \xi_1 + V_2 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^5 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}) + V_4 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^4 \dfrac{d \xi_2}{dr}) + V_5 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^3 \xi_2) = 0

and

ddr(r3dξ2dr)rξ2+T1ddr(r3dξ1dr)+T2r2dξ1dr\dfrac{d}{dr} (r^3 \dfrac{d \xi_2}{dr}) - r \xi_2 + T_1 \dfrac{d}{dr}(r^3 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}) + T_2 r^2 \dfrac{d \xi_1}{dr}

Some thoughts: apart from that one term at the beginning of equation 1, the system is equidimensional and probably has a solution of the form r^k for some k. However, as it is, we probably don't have a solution of that form.

I've tried putting this into Mathematica by defining

system = {D[r^3*x'[r],r] - r^3*x [r] + D[r^5*x'[r], r] + D[r^4*y'[r], r] + D[r^3*y'[r], r] == 0, D[r^3*y'[r], r] - r*y[r] + D[r^3*x'[r], r] + r^2*x'[r] == 0}

(here I've ignored constants for the time being, and set xi_1 and xi_2 to be x and y).

But when I try and use DSolve on it (ie DSolve[system, {x,y}, r]) I just get the input back as the output. Is this Mathematica's way of saying the system is insoluble?

I've only ever used Mathematica for very simple stuff, nowhere near this level, so what I say will probably not be very useful but shouldn't it be:
sol = DSolve[system, {x,y},r...
or is that implied?
If yes, ignore me...
BTW I'm sure you've already looked here but, in case you haven't, this could be useful: http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/tutorial/DSolveSystemsOfNonlinearODEs.html
EDIT: eeeek, link isn't working.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Tried that, doesn't work. I think it must just be that the system isn't directly solvable in terms of any nice functions.

Quick Reply

Latest