The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

How much £ do you live off a week?

Well I'm coming to Manchester in September and have started to worry about living costs, so I have a few questions for current students:

1. How much money do you live off a week after accommodation fees?

2. How much is spent on food and where do you buy your food?

3. How much is spent on going out, alcohol, clothes etc?

4. Bit irrelevant to the question, but has the library had all the books needed for your course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
74 views and no answers :lolwut:
Original post by oj234

I think the views include people who aren't actually members, so like people who don't have an account..
Not at uni yet, but i've worked out I'll have around £55 after rent to spend and I'm going to get some part time work too, hopefully it should be comfortable enough :smile:
People usually spend around £30 on food. Can go as low as 20, or as high as 40. I guess the more you plan and stick to shopping lists, the more economically you'll buy
Alcohol, well i usually spend like < £15 on a night out, so just times that buy how much you go out in a week. Predrinking saves money too
Clothes, well you don't need to buy every week. And you'll be bringing clothes from home right? There's no need to spend more on that than you do at the moment..
:smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
£106.53

being on the dole ftw
Reply 5
To be honest, you probably won't stick to your budget. I don't mean to sound negative about it, but the majority of students underestimate how much they'll spend and end up spending more once they're at uni - particularly on going out.
Reply 6
Original post by oj234

Sadly, I havent even gotten around to the idea of budgeting, I'll just take the see how it goes approach :smile: However, I'm curious as to how much others are spending for when I'm bothered to budget :redface:
I'm at MMU and the library has most of the books I need.......sometimes only the old versions are left, and the reading list ones always go first but otherwise I have no problems. (I'm not sure if you're on about UoM or MMU so answered anyway)

As for living, I live on £100 a week, but only about £30 is spent on the big shop unless its the week where I have to stock up on meats and shampoos and toilet rolls and stuff and then its a bit more expensive.

Can't answer for going out however, I don't go out drinking. The rest of my money is spent on phone bills, coach tickets, shopping and a cinema trip :smile:
Reply 8
its hard to say because everyone is different.....my student finance i wont be touching and purely living off my wages which will be about £130ish a week working about 20 hours a week! plus i also have bills too....im not a big drinker for health reasons so i wont be spending that much on alcohol and i hate shopping so spending money on clothes will only be if i really have to! the library is supposed to be amazing....not experienced it myself im a first year too thus year!

in regards to buying food when ilived on my own i used to spend about £30 a week on food but that was buying brand names and lotssssss of chocolate as i cannot go a single day without it lol gheres lots of tesco metros and sainsburys locals in town but be warned they are alot pricer than the asda superstore at eastlands for example cos u pay for the "convenience"

hope thst helps a little....

Amy Lynne :smile:
Reply 9
Factoring in nights out/drinks/food and transport, it averages £250/week.
Reply 10
Original post by Dekota-XS
Factoring in nights out/drinks/ DRUGS/food and transport, it averages £250/week.

Fixed for you :biggrin:
Reply 11
thanks guys, anyone else?
Reply 12
Just finished a budget... probably wont stick to it but i've set aside £30 a week for food/toiletries etc. and then about £20 a week for going out.
I'm saving now for freshers though :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by Pip Leigh
Just finished a budget... probably wont stick to it but i've set aside £30 a week for food/toiletries etc. and then about £20 a week for going out.

Really? £20 a week for going out. Thats Ludicrous!
Reply 14
Original post by Pip Leigh

How much you planning to spend during freshers week?
During the two years I've been at manc uni I've gone through phases of having different budgets per week, I've lived off like £55 a week which was TIGHT and just stressful really and I've also lived off like £120 a week lol which was just a bit extravagant.

But with regards to the £55 budget being hard, I was going out like a minimum of 3 nights a week so if you're not into that perhaps £55 could be pretty lofty or w/e.

- Food costs, well I was in catered halls last year so pretty much not a lot of money on food. When I was in oak house like that would be the majority of my spending, maybe I'd spend £50+ a week on food, but I was going for meals, ordering dominos, **** like that. You could easily spend less if you're more restrained.

- I don't really spend a lot of money on clothes, maybe I'll buy a new outfit every few months. Alcohol wise I would probably spend £4 buying pre-drink for a night out (3 westons cider), getting to clubs is free with a buspass, then the only other cost is paying the entry cos 3 westons ciders gets me pretty wasted so no need to buy more drink :smile:

- also NO!!!! About the library. But then again I study Japanese. Still annoying though, actually have to buy the books for my course ¬_¬
Reply 16
Original post by pomme de terre
During the two years I've been at manc uni I've gone through phases of having different budgets per week, I've lived off like £55 a week which was TIGHT and just stressful really and I've also lived off like £120 a week lol which was just a bit extravagant.

But with regards to the £55 budget being hard, I was going out like a minimum of 3 nights a week so if you're not into that perhaps £55 could be pretty lofty or w/e.

- Food costs, well I was in catered halls last year so pretty much not a lot of money on food. When I was in oak house like that would be the majority of my spending, maybe I'd spend £50+ a week on food, but I was going for meals, ordering dominos, **** like that. You could easily spend less if you're more restrained.

- I don't really spend a lot of money on clothes, maybe I'll buy a new outfit every few months. Alcohol wise I would probably spend £4 buying pre-drink for a night out (3 westons cider), getting to clubs is free with a buspass, then the only other cost is paying the entry cos 3 westons ciders gets me pretty wasted so no need to buy more drink :smile:

- also NO!!!! About the library. But then again I study Japanese. Still annoying though, actually have to buy the books for my course ¬_¬

This was helpful!

I'm planning on surviving with £80 a week - do you think I could go out and get wasted at least twice a week, whilst still not going hungry, without being stressed?
Reply 17
last year I had £40 a week. I spent £10 a week on food (I never ordered take-outs and only baught essentials: fruit, veg, porridge, pasta etc) and £30 on going out.
Original post by oj234
This was helpful!

I'm planning on surviving with £80 a week - do you think I could go out and get wasted at least twice a week, whilst still not going hungry, without being stressed?

£80 a week should be fine, obviously it depends how much you need to drink to get wasted, where you go for nights out.... if you buy drunken takeaways haha. Do you know what halls you're in? Catered/self-catered? Fallowfield or not?
Stay clear of the parties labelled, "blow your loan"!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending