The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Oh, and there are inter-college events too. Like sports stuff.
Reply 21
I looked at pretty much all these courses when I applied last year. First of all, everyone on your list are on the same pegging academically and the reputation is basically the same. Little differences in rankings between them don't make any difference to employers. Do History at any of these unis and you've got a good base.

As susiemakemeblue said, I narrowed it down to York and Bristol when I had all my offers in. (I applied to Bristol, York, Durham, Nottingham, Cardiff, Soton)

York's course looked amazing when I researched it a bit; really good options with lots of scope. The course almost swung it for me actually, but then I visited Bristol and fell in love. York is a great city and really pretty; the campus isnt so pretty but I did like the feel of it. I stayed overnight before my open day with my brother whos now in his 3rd year and went out with his mates the night before and had a fantastic night. My brother said that the nightlife would probably be too limited for me, but I did still have a great night. I was pretty hangover for my open day (anyone from York heard of those evil eye shots? they're dangerous) but that didn't stop me from really liking the place. My "tourguides" were lovely and really enthusiastic people and I got shown some accomodation in (I think) Derwent and Langwith? It wasn't as nice as my accomodation here at Bristol, but they were good sized rooms and I know there is some very nice accomodation there, having seen James college as my brother is there. If you want the best course, IMO, choose York.

Warwick - never applied in the end as you have to do a foreign language module which didn't really appeal. Plus, I don't know why but I just did not like it all. Its a personal thing tho and I have nothing to base it on so just ignore that opinion! A girl in my hall dropped out of Warwick because she didn't like the campusy feel at all, but again thats just one opinion. Its got a great reputation both for history and in general though.

Durham - Course looked good here too. I liked the idea of the collegiate system, till I realised I would hate being in catered accomodation, but I gather there's a self catered option now? Anyway, the rep they have for history is amazing - 2nd behind Cam I think. Durham probably has the most limited nightlife and it would have been a huge drawback for me. Could be a plus for you dpending on what you want from uni. Pretty place though.It was my third choice behind Bristol and York...but I never actually got an offer!

UCL - I didn't want to live in London, so this never appealed and I didn't apply. Rep is great tho, can't tell you much more! A friend of mine is studying History of Art there and is having a great time: she loves it.

And finally - good old Bristol!! Have to say, I am so glad I chose Bristol as my firm. I really do love it here. There's quite a few TSR Bristol Historians (well, 3 others) so I'm sure you can get any questions answered easily. I really like the course - we study medieval history, revolutionary europe and you chose one optional - I chose Paganism in victorian times, but there's loads to chose, like the Apartheid and S. Africa, fascism, the boxer rising, economic history, indian history, canada and u.s etc. The workload is manageable; I had 4 essays to do this term, and extra reading for seminars.Bristol as a city is amazing. The nightlife is perfect for me and is also pretty varied so will suit a lot of tastes. The accomodation is all pretty good to be honest. My hall, Durdham, is very modern and all ensuite. The people there are all really nice and so friendly. Love it, love it, love it!

My advice is obviously going to be go to Bristol, but thats only because I'm so happy there. The uni's you have, as Katie said, are all completely different and its up to you where you will be happiest. My one piece of advice is - go visit all of them. My mum told me "you'll know which uni you want to go to within a minute of being there" and it was so true. After visiting York I wanted to go there, but when I went to Bristol I had decided within a minute of my dad driving through town that it was where I wanted to go. Can't really explain it, I just loved the atmosphere, and had a great day. Don't regret it at all :smile: Good luck, all these unis are fantastic and you'll love wherever you end up!
I knew you would reply to this thread! :p:

Want to go back to Bristol...

Yeah, the one drawback about Bristol is that you will end up wishing all your holidays away. :frown:

--------------

Poica
Oh, and there are inter-college events too. Like sports stuff.

Yep, same. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending