The Student Room Group

Income assessment-Boyfriend or Parents?

Hi there, im needing some help! Iv recently moved in with my boyfriend and will be staying here while studying. He doesn't support me financially so i have classed myself as single.

Problem is when i reach the income assessment section, the only options really suitable for me are:

You are married or live with a partner. (which requires partners income details.)

or

You do not meet any of the above conditions. (requires Parents income details)

In my case should i select the 2nd option and have my parents details assessed even though i do not live with them?

CONFUSED!!
Reply 1
I had to call them and say I living alone and they did something
Reply 2
Parents income, unless you meet the independent criteria in Section 7. Otherwise, you'll just get the minimum.
Reply 3
I callled again today and they said that because i live with him he is classed as a partner and his income is taken into account.

Im only applying for the minimum loan, tuition fees and a bursary. They only need his details for the bursary apparently because the minimum is non assessed.

Thanks for the help though.
I'm afraid they gave you incorrect information then, unless you're over 25. If you are under 25 your partner's income is not assessed unless you are married - believe me, I know, I live with my partner earning £24k but they wanted to assess my Dad who earns £70k+!

If you are only applying for minimum loan it's irrelevent, you just go non means tested. Dunno about this bursary though - what are you studying?
Reply 5
I am about to start a Management Degree. I am under 25, they didn't ask my age but just said if i was living with my boyfriend, regardless of his support i would have to inform them of his earnings.

Problem here is that my boyfriend earns more than my single mum and it will effect how much i receive, which is concerning when i still have rent and bills to pay.
Reply 6
SFE were wrong on the telephone. Regulations state clearly the criteria for being independent, and it doesn't sound as if you do, so it should be parental income.
Reply 7
SFE? Should i have been more specific and said i was applying to SAAS? Do all funding providers have different terms and what not?
Reply 8
As others have said it's unlikely they will not need your parents; in your case you would have to have been supporting yourself financially for 3 years (since you're not married, don't have kids and are in contact with parents).

The problem is SF's form is confusing. You put that you don't live with your parents which is true then they give you a selection of options none of which is really true or properly applies to you. My fiance is estranged from his parents but can't prove it and we had no end of trouble as the form just isn't designed for any unusual circumstances.

If you're applying for the minimum loan then none of it really matters, but again SF are confusing here and may not give you the option of 'non-income assessed' because of the way their system works. Also being non-income assessed would cut you out of most bursaries.

I would ring again, take the name of the person and the time, and ask; you may get a different answer. Say clearly that you are living with a partner but you are NOT married and exactly how long you have been living away from your parents. Then do as they say but keep on their heels... ring up regularly to check how it's going and that everythings ok.

xxx
Reply 9
Original post by esie19
SFE? Should i have been more specific and said i was applying to SAAS? Do all funding providers have different terms and what not?

http://www.student-support-saas.gov.uk/student_support/scottish_inside/isb.htm#independent

From that website, the phone call was right. You are living with your partner BEFORE the start of the academic year.

In that case you would select the living with partner option from the two you gave.

The best thing to do is probably to sit down and talk to your partner once you've been assessed to discuss funding... they will probably assume that there is x amount of sharing money with you living together, so that if you are getting much less than him he can support you a bit.

xxx
Oh ok, I have no idea how SAAS works, but yea if it was SFE it would def go on your parents income, not your partners.
Reply 11
Ok thanks for all the help, think I have it all sorted out now. Maybe call one last time to double check though.
Reply 12
Ok, as it's SAAS then they were right. As the majority of queries are related to SFE on this forum though, that tends to be what is advised, unless we know differently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending