The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Complete OU confusion

I'm 20 and have never known what I wanted to do. For the past four years, I've been drifting from rubbish job to rubbish job, stupid course to stupid course. I've enrolled for an NVQ course in beauty therapy for this autumn and winter but I'm almost 100% certain that I don't want to become a beauty therapist in the future (it's more to do with being absolutely bored, and wanting to add more strings to my bow). The only thing that I've ever been certain of is that I want to eventually run my own business (don't ask which industry, I still haven't decided)

For quite a while, I've been interested in studying law but lacked the patience when I was younger to study A levels. I know that the OU does a law degree, but would it be viable for me to complete it within four years? Is it challenging? I know that it's a degree, but I've heard so many conflicting statements about the difficulty of courses, and I don't want to take the "easy" route to a degree. I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I'm just trying to gather as much information as I possibly can as quickly as I can.

Also, how exactly do students communicate with one another, if at all? Are there any face-to-face meetings or tutorials? Or are you left completely alone with a textbook for the year? Is it just the middle-aged middle class who do courses or are there younger people? I know absolutely nothing and would like as much information as possible before I register for a course.
Reply 1
I've only just got accepted for my course with the OU but have been getting to know a lot of other students on my course through FB groups set up for our module from what I gather you do get a lot of support and you will be asked to attended a tutorial I'm not sure how many, there are forums on the OU site and on here and facebook all there to support help, if you have a specific course in mind I would have a look on facebook and see if there is a group they might be able to give you some more info.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by CocoH
I've only just got accepted for my course with the OU but have been getting to know a lot of other students on my course through FB groups set up for our module from what I gather you do get a lot of support and you will be asked to attended a tutorial I'm not sure how many, there are forums on the OU site and on here and facebook all there to support help, if you have a specific course in mind I would have a look on facebook and see if there is a group they might be able to give you some more info.

Oh that's great. I wasn't sure about the support I could get. I think I'll search on facebook to see if I find anything. Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by amison
For quite a while, I've been interested in studying law but lacked the patience when I was younger to study A levels. I know that the OU does a law degree, but would it be viable for me to complete it within four years? Is it challenging? I know that it's a degree, but I've heard so many conflicting statements about the difficulty of courses, and I don't want to take the "easy" route to a degree. I'm sorry if this doesn't make any sense, I'm just trying to gather as much information as I possibly can as quickly as I can.
It is viable, and indeed quite possible. It would of course mean a lot of hard work but if you have the self motivation/ you're willing to put the effort in, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to complete the course in 4 years.

Also, how exactly do students communicate with one another, if at all? Are there any face-to-face meetings or tutorials? Or are you left completely alone with a textbook for the year? Is it just the middle-aged middle class who do courses or are there younger people? I know absolutely nothing and would like as much information as possible before I register for a course.
As the user above said, there is Facebook but within your course you will also be assigned a tutor group with people studying the course within your geographical area. Within the OU forums you can also communicate with fellow students via email and their own message boards - Whether it's about a particular essay you're finding difficult, resources and writing technique. It is rather helpful in terms of distance-learning :smile: And to add to this, your tutor should be very accessible via email and telephone (if applicable).

As far as tutorials go, I'm not sure about Law specifically but I had tutorials once a month and Seminars every 10 weeks. The age group ranges from 18-infinity but the general age will be around 21+ I reckon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Stricof
It is viable, and indeed quite possible. It would of course mean a lot of hard work but if you have the self motivation/ you're willing to put the effort in, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to complete the course in 4 years.

As the user above said, there is Facebook but within your course you will also be assigned a tutor group with people studying the course within your geographical area. Within the OU forums you can also communicate with fellow students via email and their own message boards - Whether it's about a particular essay you're finding difficult, resources and writing technique. It is rather helpful in terms of distance-learning :smile: And to add to this, your tutor should be very accessible via email and telephone (if applicable).

As far as tutorials go, I'm not sure about Law specifically but I had tutorials once a month and Seminars every 10 weeks. The age group ranges from 18-infinity but the general age will be around 21+ I reckon.

Thanks for that. Exactly the sort of information I was looking for. I quite like the idea of frequent tutorials/seminars and tutor groups. I was dreading the idea of being left to learn everything on my own.
Reply 5
Original post by amison

I've heard so many conflicting statements about the difficulty of courses, and I don't want to take the "easy" route to a degree. .

I thought my degree was horrifically easy until I got to level 2. By time I'd got the hang of that, I moved onto level 3, and found myself in a whole new world of pain :wink:

Basically, it starts off easy to ease you into that way of learning. It might frustrate you a little for the first year, but it needs to be done to show you the OU way of doing things. The mind-bending stuff is lurking just around the corner :P

Quick Reply

Latest