Captain Crash
Merav. We're such a loverly couple.........:rolleyes:

She is so out of your league :p:

It'll be rather hysterical if you two have very plain, square children :wink:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 41
I've also got in - although I've just discovered the thread, the news is far too late to be remotely interesting, and results day is THE biggest anticlimax. Ever.
Reply 42
Well done! For which subject?
Reply 43
Just thought I'd better say hi again. I'm a second year at Peterhouse doing maths. Is anyone coming to study maths who might have me as a parent? Or if you're doing music, you will definitely have me as a parent.

If you have any questions before you arrive (for any subject, or just practical stuff), feel free to email or MSN me at jenny_scott_thompson at hotmail dot com.

When you get your college email address, I recommend you join Facebook.

See you when you arrive!

Jenny
Reply 44
For medicine. How much work I'm letting myself in for here, I dread to think...
Reply 45
JennyST
Just thought I'd better say hi again. I'm a second year at Peterhouse doing maths. Is anyone coming to study maths who might have me as a parent? Or if you're doing music, you will definitely have me as a parent.

*Waves*
Reply 46
Hey, out of interest, does anyone who's at Peterhouse now know if we'll be able to leave stuff in our rooms over holidays? Or do we have to lug it all back home again after every term? Cheers!
Reply 47
I think, like in most colleges, that we have to take our stuff home with us.
Gary2688
Hey, out of interest, does anyone who's at Peterhouse now know if we'll be able to leave stuff in our rooms over holidays? Or do we have to lug it all back home again after every term? Cheers!

We have to lug it back home. Every. Bloody. Time
Reply 49
There is some official rule about being able to leave a few books on the bookshelf, but that's it, and I've never done even that because they let the rooms out to conferences in the holidays and I don't trust them. Otherwise, everything goes home, at Christmas and Easter as well as for the summer.

Jenny
Reply 50
Aaagh damn. Cheers guys, just good to know that if I take whatever that weighs 3 tonnes, it's not worth the effort.
Reply 51
We got kids! Emails arrived from Lady, so your parents should be writing to you in the next day or two.

Jenny
Reply 52
Woooooooo! I'm so excited! About time we got something, I'm a bit in the dark here about what on earth's going on
Reply 53
Well it would appear that I have fathered two (far from young) children....

Matthew R. E. Happlewhite and Juman Al-Saqlawi I am your dad. Letters will be in the post shortly (well when I have written them and figured out how to send one to Oman)
Reply 54
Yay! I was wondering when I was going to hear something more. I still feel a bit in the dark. I have no idea what I need to take or anything because Peterhouse still have not updated their fresher's page. :frown:
I got my kids too but its no-one here unless you're a medic from Aberdeen or a lawyer from manchester...

If I remember rightly, information was sent out (by post and on the freshers website) relativley late on, so I wouldn't worry if you haven't heard anything yet. Actually the website probably tell you anything interesting (or at least it didn't last year). It mostly has pdf forms to fill in, college regulations and very basic info on your room.
Reply 56
If you have more questions, do ask them here and those of us second-years will try to answer. For instance, we can tell you not to bother bringing a kettle, since every kitchen has one, but it is useful if one person in each house has an iron (Ed and Craig borrowed mine all the time, which was fine, as I hardly used it). There is an ironing board in the laundry room. You need to bring your own washing powder. Oh, and don't pay too much for a gown. Ryde & Amies are cheaper (£30, not £45) than Ede & Ravenscroft, and we can't tell the difference in quality.

Jenny
Reply 57
I got in for engineering and I have some questions. Are we allowed to put posters up on the wall and are we allowed to hang frames up? Im assuming no for the frames but just in case. Also do we need to bring sheets? How much does the internet cost and do you just need a wireless network card thing or do you need a wire to connect to it? what do you wear for matriculation (girls)? should I bring a bike with me even if engineering is close to peterhouse? hmm sorry about all these questions! I just dont know what to bring with me. thankyou!!
I'd definately recommend br.inging a kettle. The ones provided are a bit clogged up with lime scale and it means you can make tea/coffee in your room.

I'm afraid you can't bring toasters (fire risk or something) but they provide one for each kitchen.

Tisch
Are we allowed to put posters up on the wall and are we allowed to hang frames up? Im assuming no for the frames but just in case.

Tisch - Posters are a bit of a fudge issue. You're allowed them as long as you don't use blu-tac/tape/anything that will take the paint off the wall. Peterhouse maintainance will happily put in picture hooks for frames as well.

Tisch
Also do we need to bring sheets?

Yeah. Also a duvet

Tisch
How much does the internet cost and do you just need a wireless network card thing or do you need a wire to connect to it?

I can't remember how much internet costs (£10 a term?)but all you need is an ethernet cable (for sale at your local plodge).

Tisch
what do you wear for matriculation (girls)?

I'll leave this one to Jenny. I'll just embarass myself.
The freshers pack will tell you anyway

Tisch
should I bring a bike with me even if engineering is close to peterhouse?

You probably wouldn't need one unless you plan on rowing (heaven forbid). I'd recommend seeing how you go for the first term without one. I always seem to borrow someone elses whenever i need one.
Reply 59
Hi. I was wondering what the gym was like in Peterhouse? I've heard (on the wiki) that it's not too great, but what is actually in it?

Quick Reply