The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Peterhouse (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Last time I checked there was an erogmeter(rowing machine), a couple of benchs and free weights, and a few more weight machines.

Like the wiki said it's nothing much but its free at least...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 61
Tisch
I got in for engineering and I have some questions. Are we allowed to put posters up on the wall and are we allowed to hang frames up? Im assuming no for the frames but just in case. Also do we need to bring sheets? How much does the internet cost and do you just need a wireless network card thing or do you need a wire to connect to it? what do you wear for matriculation (girls)? should I bring a bike with me even if engineering is close to peterhouse? hmm sorry about all these questions! I just dont know what to bring with me. thankyou!!

Girls normally wear white blouse and black skirt/trousers, unless you have a surname beginning with A then you don't need to worry about tights etc as you're legs will be hidden in the photo. Internet is about £20 a term, and you buy a cable from the computing office at the start of the year - you'll get a huge load of bumpf from the computing office when you come up that will include how to get one and how to get started.

I wouldn't bother with a bike, see how you go without one and then if you find you need one then buy one in Cam :smile:
Reply 62
TCovenant
Hi. I was wondering what the gym was like in Peterhouse? I've heard (on the wiki) that it's not too great, but what is actually in it?

The gym is awful, essentially just a few old and broken pieces of equipment strewn around a cold and dark room. The main uni gym is only a short walk from college, and costs about £30 per year, and is definitely good value for money.
Reply 63
Thanks for the gym-info :smile:. Sounds as though it might be convenient, if limited; will probably check out the main uni one anyway.
Reply 64
I heard from one of my college parents today. I have Charlotte (Lady) as my Mum and somebody called Jack as my Dad. She seems really nice from her letter. Apparently they didn't have enough historians. We are evidently in short supply :p:. Has anybody else heard who their parents are yet?
Reply 65
Yeh, I got a letter from my mum, and a letter from Lady just explaining some basic stuff, pointing out the freshers guide etc. Which obviously means we're getting close to going, which in turn makes me slightly on the nervous side...
Reply 66
Don't worry about it! I feel exactly the same!! I apologise if you have said before, but what subject are your studying?
Clearly Lady and Gary's mum are making me look bad... I haven't even started my letters yet.

Apparently they didn't have enough historians. We are evidently in short supply

Nah, they were probably just asleep when the sign-up sheet went up.... :p:
Reply 68
Tut tut. Yes, they make you look terrible. Although you can hope your wife has written, because I don't know about anyone else but one letter every few days is fine by me, rather than a load at once. Do the historians ever get out of bed? At least scientists get their value for money for 3 grand a year lol. I'm studying medicine by the way Trundle.
Let me tell you a story about a certain Historian who lived next door to me (ie your dad)

Woke up for 9am lecture, he's still asleep
Came back just after 10, still asleep
Left for 12am lecture and he's still asleep
Went for lunch, played some pool, generally finished the most productive parts of my day, headed back to SPT at around 2pm only to catch him stumbling out of his room to get washed.

This happened more than once.

A week

So, yes, historians do get out of bed, just not in the morning.

Btw it just occured to me, you and Trundle are actually college cousins. I'll let you work it out...
Reply 70
Gary2688
Do the historians ever get out of bed?
I think they must on occasions! :p:
Reply 71
Captain Crash
Let me tell you a story about a certain Historian who lived next door to me (ie your dad)

How do you know who is Gary's college dad?
Trundle
How do you know who is Gary's college dad?

Because I'm psychic.

Or perhaps I'm just mates with him.
Reply 73
Sorry! I just thought I was missing something. :rolleyes:
Reply 74
Trundle
I heard from one of my college parents today. I have Charlotte (Lady) as my Mum and somebody called Jack as my Dad. She seems really nice from her letter. Apparently they didn't have enough historians. We are evidently in short supply :p:. Has anybody else heard who their parents are yet?

Hehe, your parents make a funny couple - Lady is diddy, whilst Jack is veeeeeery tall.

My kiddies are going to be abandoned :frown: Hubby is trying for the blue boat and will therefore never be seen, and I'm not coming back until Oct 07 (I degraded after lent term). To make matters worse I'm not in any state to be writing long-winded letters for the next few days (had the **** kicked out of me by a horse :rolleyes: ) so they'll think I don't love them.

I'm a bad mummy :redface:
Reply 75
Hello to all the freshers,
I'm Robert, 2nd year Peterhouse mathmo. Given my laziness in finding a wife (or just any sort of partner), I know that none of you will be my children, but if anyones parents act like mine did and almost completely ignore them, and/or you want to ask anything, feel free to contact me. I'll be looking here regularly anyway.
Captain Crash
So, yes, historians do get out of bed, just not in the morning.

That is a totally unfair generalisation. There is at least one historian who is always around before midday. Probably exactly one, but they do exist. There isn't the same need to be awake in the morning that mathmos, Natural Scientists or boaties have.
Reply 76
The only historian who gets out of bed before midday is Thomas, and you rarely see him outside the library. Besides, I can't imagine him getting married. Trundle, Jack is a very tall lawyer who is great at looking after his friends when they're drunk. I'm sure you'll get on well with him - almost everyone does.

Gary, who are your parents, out of interest?

And I have a muso child as well as a mathmo, so there will now be a grand total of 3 musos in college, rather than just one. Has anyone heard about any female mathmos this year, or will I be the only undergrad one in college?

Jenny

PS - Rob, you totally should have had a civil partnership with Gavin or Colin.
Reply 77
College cousins... Don't leave me to work it out, I'm really not that bright, I don't get family tree type things at all, I struggle working out who's a cousin in real life. So what happens, is one of my parents related to Trundles'/going out with one of Trundles'?
Reply 78
Erm my mum's Amy and my dad's Douglas. So perhaps you could explain the cousin thing? lol
Gary2688
Erm my mum's Amy and my dad's Douglas. So perhaps you could explain the cousin thing? lol

Ah, its nothing special, just Amy and Jack are college siblings. QED

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending