The Student Room Group

4 A*'s in A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fuzzy12345
But then again, you're a Cambridge medic :wink:

But then again, anybody capable of getting 3/4 A*s is, at least academically, capable of being a Cambridge student :wink:
Original post by Rob da Mop

But then again, anybody capable of getting 3/4 A*s is, at least academically, capable of being a Cambridge student :wink:

Touché :tongue:
Reply 22

I wish.
Yh its possible, the human brain can go to extreme lengths. Remember that guy that got 21 A grades at a level (before the a* was introduced)
Original post by Extricated
Yh its possible, the human brain can go to extreme lengths. Remember that guy that got 21 A grades at a level (before the a* was introduced)

Was it the Pakistani dude? Nawazish something I think..
Possible ? Yes

Likely ? Probably not

You will have to work damn hard, especially in FM and Chemistry, and be prepared to have no life, you cannot get an A* without no work, no matter how gifted you are.

Good Luck.
Reply 26

Scraped a 2:1 though, only because he changed courses too
Original post by Jampolo
Scraped a 2:1 though, only because he changed courses too

Well the question was whether 4a* was possible, so the degree classification is irrelevant. Since you mentioned it, the guy scraped a 2.1 because he decided to concentrate hugely on his new business venture and thought that doing a course he didn't really want to do (computer science) was pointless anyway, 2.1 is still impressive i guess.

(from his fb page)
Original post by Mandrews91
I know someone who got 4 A*'s in similar subjects, but was dedicated 24/7, they learnt everything before it was taught and had no life, I chose to have a life and not work myself stupid and got good but not outstanding results, and would never change my ways for a grade :smile:
it is possible but A-levels are only good for getting into university after that employers will not pay too much attention to them, unless applying too some competitive internships then you'll need at least AAB

I think you're an example of how little having A*s matters. You're a chemical engineer at a respected university; once you get a job you will be minted, regardless of your A level results.
Reply 29
Well the question was whether 4a* was possible, so the degree classification is irrelevant. Since you mentioned it, the guy scraped a 2.1 because he decided to concentrate hugely on his new business venture and thought that doing a course he didn't really want to do (computer science) was pointless anyway, 2.1 is still impressive i guess.

(from his fb page)

#JustSaying, 4A*'s dont make you Cambrdige Material as others have said.
Reply 30
Possible, but you need to realize that A levels are A LOT different to GCSE's. Harder.
Oh and you normally complete 3 alevels not 4 :smile:
Original post by Jampolo
#JustSaying, 4A*'s dont make you Cambrdige Material as others have said.

I don't understand how that's anything to do with your post about the guy getting a 2.1... Most cambridge students get a 2.1, it doesn't mean he wasn't suitable. :confused:
Reply 32
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't understand how that's anything to do with your post about the guy getting a 2.1... Most cambridge students get a 2.1, it doesn't mean he wasn't suitable. :confused:

Doing lots of, or well at a level doesn't mean the same for university, yes?
Of course you can get 4 a*s, but it will be extremly hard and require much hard work as well as lots of revision. Good luck.
not impossible but it would be no walk in the park
Oddly enough...my name is also Jason and i'm also hoping for 4A*s this august.

areyouawizard.jpeg
Reply 36
If you're semi-decent at maths, maths and further should be 2 easy A*s without much revision. I can't speak for biology or chemistry, but if they're anything like physics, learning all of the definitions off by heart [~40 per module at a guess] and then applying your maths to any calculation questions should see you right.
With Maths quite a lot of the content overlaps so if you don't get the grades expected you can do a resit without having to learn loads more info compared to other subjects like History for example where topics are completely different. All four subjects you have picked are very challenging and highly respected so if you feel you can do them go for it.

It's very much possible to achieve 4 A*s if you work really hard and stay organised, but it's uncommon.
Best of luck OP, go for it :yy:
I got 4 A*s at A-level in Further Maths, Maths, English and Econ, which was totally unexpected. Most of my teachers expected me to get Cs because I didn't hand work in - tbh there seems to be a strange aura of invincibility about A*s at A-level which is just not justified. More than anything, A-levels are just test of how much you've learnt off by heart and whether or not ur ticking the right boxes in the exam, such as using the correct terminology....

Quick Reply

Latest