The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Beska
There is a lot of advice on the TSR Medicine wiki. There is a GEM-specific page here that might be useful.

Thanks but I was after some experiences of other people who were in a similar situation.
Reply 21
Original post by sundogs
Thanks but I was after some experiences of other people who were in a similar situation.

There's quite an active soc of GEM applicants/medics here but it would probably be best if he came to ask advice himself. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Beska
There's quite an active soc of GEM applicants/medics here but it would probably be best if he came to ask advice himself. :smile:

he doesn't like TSR :P
Reply 23
Original post by sundogs

I've tried to tell him that he stands a good a chance as anyone as long as he gets some decent work experience but he looks at the horrific stats (45-60 applicants per place or something crazy) and just gets scared.

I don't think it's that bad, but yeah 20 applicants per place is not unheard of.
Reply 24
Original post by sundogs
he doesn't like TSR :P

Would he prefer NMM? There are more grads there anyhow.
Original post by Monco
I don't think it's that bad, but yeah 20 applicants per place is not unheard of.

There was one year when Kings GEP had something like 65 applicants per place lol. Absolutely crazy.

Generally you're right though, it's pretty variable, usually anywhere between 5 and 20 applicants per place. Warwick's always a fairly good bet because their admissions policy is very open, and they have far more places than anyone else.
Reply 26
Original post by hoonosewot
There was one year when Kings GEP had something like 65 applicants per place lol. Absolutely crazy.

Generally you're right though, it's pretty variable, usually anywhere between 5 and 20 applicants per place. Warwick's always a fairly good bet because their admissions policy is very open, and they have far more places than anyone else.

I'm fairly sure Warwick don't consider applicants with a degree in Engineering though unfortunately. :frown:
It is tough, there's no doubt about that. I had a bit of a turning point where I realised that if I didn't believe I could do what, what was the point of going to interviews where I was trying to convince them I could do it. I have my strengths the same as any of the other applicants, I have looked into all the medical schools to be sure that the ones I am applying to are the right ones for me, I have researched them and taloired my application to be exactly what they are looking for. So why the hell shouldn't they pick me? I am just as good as anyone else and I can do this.
Ahem.. so yeah, positive thinking, that's the key. :smile:
Reply 28
It's always going to be competitive when you have limiting amount of places + massive amount of applicants.

I personally feel if they aren't going to provide any funding for graduates on 5 year courses, some of the places for 5 year should be cut to open up some for the graduate stream.
Reply 29
Original post by uer23
It's always going to be competitive when you have limiting amount of places + massive amount of applicants.

I personally feel if they aren't going to provide any funding for graduates on 5 year courses, some of the places for 5 year should be cut to open up some for the graduate stream.

Wouldn't that in effect reduce the places available for school-leavers?
Original post by Ronove
I'm fairly sure Warwick don't consider applicants with a degree in Engineering though unfortunately. :frown:

Tell that to the engineers in my cohort, brah.
Reply 31
The figures your friend has for applicants per place is true generally speaking.

But not at Oxbridge.

There its more 9-11 applicants per place. Oxford requires a chemistry a-level I think so Cambridge is something worth looking into.

Other than that, practise practise and practise for entrance exams and they have as good a chance as anyone.
Reply 32
Original post by Alice249
The figures your friend has for applicants per place is true generally speaking.

But not at Oxbridge.

There its more 9-11 applicants per place. Oxford requires a chemistry a-level I think so Cambridge is something worth looking into.

So you're saying Oxbridge is less competitive than most uni's? I would not have thought that to be the case.
Reply 33
Original post by Beska

Why is this a bad thing? :tongue: Less people who only want to do medicine because their parents want them to and drop out in the first year! :teehee:

Original post by Monco
So you're saying Oxbridge is less competitive than most uni's? I would not have thought that to be the case.

It's bizarre isn't it, but I believe it to be true.
Reply 34
Original post by Lantana
Why is this a bad thing? :tongue: Less people who only want to do medicine because their parents want them to and drop out in the first year! :teehee:

Excuse me, I want to do medicine because my grandparents forced me to. Also, I plan on dropping out in second year. Get your facts straight. :hand:

Spoiler

Reply 35
Original post by Beska

Yes, I feel there should be equal amount of places for graduates and school leavers.

Graduates bring more to the table with their life experiences and skills from previous degree. Increased competition means you are less likely to get people who drop out after years 1/2 and they will consider their career more carefully.
Reply 36
Original post by Lantana

It's bizarre isn't it, but I believe it to be true.

Well, it could be true. If Oxbridge asks for very high entry requirements, and there are very few people that meet them, then yes.

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medgrad/

There were only 9 places for 2010 entry, so imagine the competition being quite stiff. Obviously I don't know how many applicants there were, but with such a low number of places I think it was quite competetive.
Reply 37
I always thought fewer graduates apply to oxbridge because they are less keen on reputation and more on having a medical degree. Probably having a first degree puts them in a good stead to be more realistic about options. :smile:
I think it's a mixture of Oxbridge asking for quite specific A levels as well as a degree, and people being unwilling to risk one of their choices on universities they're scared will think they aren't good enough.
Reply 39
Original post by hoonosewot
I think it's a mixture of Oxbridge asking for quite specific A levels as well as a degree, and people being unwilling to risk one of their choices on universities they're scared will think they aren't good enough.

I don't know about that. The requirements Cambridge asks for ( http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medgrad/ ) are not that different from other universities.

Although I can imagine they're looking for students who have done more volunteer work / extracuricular activities and what not.

Quick Reply

Latest