The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lantana
I've been told that the only place you shouldn't have them is F1 and you really don't want a gap between finals and F1. Otherwise, anywhere else, whilst might being awkward and having to do things differently/ in an altered timeframe, is possible. Though it's best if you get F2 out the way also but plenty of people take a break after that - to locum, to go travel, figure out what speciality etc. You can have them in med school, but you don't get paid maternity so you have financial hassle + studying :s-smilie:

Do you have a death wish?!?

Lol, well, as you know, I ride a ZX9R Ninja and a Hayabusa so yeah, I probably do have a death wish!
Just wondering also... I know this is a bit of a daft question but how hard is it...? Especially from not coming from science based degree, I worry a lot that it will be really hard? How have people found it especially not coming from a science based degree?
Original post by Lantana
I've been told that the only place you shouldn't have them is F1 and you really don't want a gap between finals and F1. Otherwise, anywhere else, whilst might being awkward and having to do things differently/ in an altered timeframe, is possible. Though it's best if you get F2 out the way also but plenty of people take a break after that - to locum, to go travel, figure out what speciality etc. You can have them in med school, but you don't get paid maternity so you have financial hassle + studying :s-smilie:

Thanks, I feel a bit more calm now
Reply 523
Hi everyone, I would really like to hear your opinions on what you think my likelihood of getting into medicine are.
I will tell you my background. So my alevels were a bit of a shambles really, I did my AS and got ABCC i decided to resit AS year (weird decision) as i would most likely get 4 rejections and would have done badly in A2. So anyway second time round I got AAAA at AS. Then A2 I applied to peninsula, Liverpool, Lancaster and east anglia. I got 3 interviews (god knows how i did a LOT of work experience to make up for my first time AS results) Anyway I had one offer but at the end I got AABB so I didn’t get in because i was meant to get AAA (my fourth alevel didn’t matter) so i went through clearing. I chose to psychology as well there wasn’t anything else left and i like abnormal psychology (psychiatry for non medics). So anyway, am i on the wrong course? Do i have any chance of getting in? Help please!!!
Original post by pingu25
Hi everyone, I would really like to hear your opinions on what you think my likelihood of getting into medicine are.
I will tell you my background. So my alevels were a bit of a shambles really, I did my AS and got ABCC i decided to resit AS year (weird decision) as i would most likely get 4 rejections and would have done badly in A2. So anyway second time round I got AAAA at AS. Then A2 I applied to peninsula, Liverpool, Lancaster and east anglia. I got 3 interviews (god knows how i did a LOT of work experience to make up for my first time AS results) Anyway I had one offer but at the end I got AABB so I didn’t get in because i was meant to get AAA (my fourth alevel didn’t matter) so i went through clearing. I chose to psychology as well there wasn’t anything else left and i like abnormal psychology (psychiatry for non medics). So anyway, am i on the wrong course? Do i have any chance of getting in? Help please!!!

I'm confused, are you already on your degree, or just about to start?

You're certain you want to go on to do a degree this year? Could it now be more worthwhile (and certainly cheaper) to resit your "B" subject at A2 and reapply next year?

If you do choose to do a degree, GEM will not discriminate (in most cases) on A-levels at all. Some courses require 3 B's, which you meet.

I strongly recommend just resitting the subject which prevented you meeting the offer, but if you are a graduate or soon-to-be graduate, then sure you can apply for GEM assuming you meet the 2:1 or 2:2 requirements laid out by certain courses.
Reply 525
Sorry yes, I am already at university. I didn't want to resit because although people say the system is fair, at college last year (it was a resit type college where your parents send you if your a failure lol) 16 people applied for medicine they were all resits and not a single one got an interview. There are hardly any unis that accept resits anymore, and why bother taking a resit when you have hundreds that can get the grades first time? obviously im not talking about people who had circumstances like being ill as thats a genuine reason! but yes i was just wondering if it was worth applying in 3rd year.
Certainly worth it if you're sure it's what you want to do -- do not misunderstand the financial implications of graduate entry medicine, but it is definitely do-able. Depending on where you apply your A-levels will either not be relevant or you'd pass the criteria anyway, so don't worry about that.

The things you do need: A good degree (2:1 for UKCAT unis, some accept 2:2 with masters/PhD, or 2:2 for some GAMSAT unis like nottingham), and a lot of work experience! The longer you can volunteer or work in a caring role, the better. This is usually a matter of months, not weeks, though short, shadowing work can also be useful.

All the best,

Matt
Reply 527
Thanks, I was thinking of volunteering at a hospital once a week for a year because it would look good on ucas, and for my gold duke of edinburgh which i am also doing to show I am doing something else at uni not just academic work. Can you think of any other things I can do to make my application stand out? Thanks :smile:
Reply 528
Hey all, I just finished my fourth and final year of my pharmacy degree. I am hoping to apply for medicine. I am just wondering if anyone can give me any help regarding the universities that I should apply to.

My GCSEs and A-Levels weren't that good, I am hoping that they will take my master degree into consideration .

Thanks in advance.
Im in the same boat

I have gradually through my studying, changed my career choice

First off, wt was ur degree class. That will thin the number of unis, e.g. Bham only really take 1st calss degrees but thats mostly from Bsc students, not sure bout Masters.

Second off, have u got a pre reg. It will be useful for making money while studying medicine in hols to pay for tuition. But new changes to GPhC members require 9 completed CPDs per year to keep u registered pharmacist.

Importantly there are graduate entry courses (4 year) and undergraduate (5 year). Which one u applying. Some suggest mix it up as graduate entry is more competitive.

Get some specific work experience to medicine

Once u come up with unis u like, look at their requirements. Some require GAMSAT (4 unis only require this), UKCAT (majority) and some dont need any entrance tests (liverpool, bristol and bham). Get the study books and test urself under timed conditions. Timing is very important because thats what loses u points in these tests.

Research on medicine career progression and how to write personal statements for graduate students. This is important as a lot of my mates were rejected and their feedback was the lack of justification to change and how to cope with workload on fast-track programme.

heres a website with all unis offering graduate entry and their requirements:
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=11
Original post by reee
Hey all, I just finished my fourth and final year of my pharmacy degree. I am hoping to apply for medicine. I am just wondering if anyone can give me any help regarding the universities that I should apply to.

My GCSEs and A-Levels weren't that good, I am hoping that they will take my master degree into consideration .

Thanks in advance.

Hi, MPharm is perfectly suitable for an application to medicine. What did you get as your degree classification? For standard BSc's the requirement is USUALLY 2:1 for UKCAT (but this might be different for you, as you're doing an Mastered degree you might get away with a 2:2). It's also 2:1 or 2:2 for GAMSAT universities (but you'll have to check the individual websites to see what people accept, search A101 in UCAS for graduate entry medicine).

In terms of courses, there's GEM (4-year) and standard 5-year courses that you can apply for. The former is very competitive and you'll need a good entrance exam score (UKCAT or GAMSAT), as well as the degree class mentioned before. You'll also need plenty of work experience, preferably in a caring environment.

The 5-year courses are nowadays pretty out of reach as you get no tuition fee funding until the 5th year, meaning you have to self-fund £39k over 5 years, just for tuition fees! If you are exceptionally wealthy and can afford that, then by all means you could apply for the 5-year courses with significantly less competition than is present with the GEM courses.

That said, obviously most people cannot afford that and will rely on the 4-year GEM courses. The largest intakes are at Warwick, SGUL, Nottingham and Swansea (to my knowledge), but there are lots of programmes around including Newcastle, Bristol, Imperial College London, Kings College London & Barts and the London.

Have a look around, look at the entrance requirements and weigh up your strongest university chances. Any questions feel free to ask!

Matt
Reply 531
Thanks for the informative reply.

Firstly, I haven't got my results yet, but I am hoping for a 2.1.

I am going to start my pre-reg in August, I already have a place confirmed.

Regarding the graduate courses, as you mentioned I believe they are more competitive, so I am thinking of applying to the 5 years course as the 1 year really won't make a difference for me and money is not an issue when it comes to this.

I have done work experience in couple of hospitals before I started pharmacy, I am not sure if it is enough or do I need more recent experience?

Cheers.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 532
EDIT:

Do you recommend applying to non-UKCAT unis, because I bought the book with examples and tbh I don't think I will do very well in it. I am thinking Bristol and Liverpool alongside St.Georges.
Original post by reee
Thanks for the informative reply.

Firstly, I haven't got my results yet, but I am hoping for a 2.1.

I am going to start my pre-reg in August, I already have a place confirmed.

Regarding the graduate courses, as you mentioned I believe they are more competitive, so I am thinking of applying to the 5 years course as the 1 year really won't make a difference for me and money is not an issue when it comes to this.

I have done work experience in couple of hospitals before I started pharmacy, I am not sure if it is enough or do I need more recent experience?

Cheers.

Good luck with everything :biggrin:
Just out of curiosity, why are you considering changing to medicine? I am starting MPharm this September lol, currently on gap year.
Is there something about pharmacy that you don't like or is there something in medicine that is more appealing to you?
You're certain that you can fund, up front, £9k a year for four years? I do envy you if that's the case! By all means if you have such funding available then apply for the five year courses, as you will face much less competition. If you can do so and you have decent A-levels, you could apply for Liverpool 5-year. They place little emphasis on the UKCAT so as long as you attain a decent, average score just above 600, you'll probably be okay.

Assuming that you go for the graduate four year courses, I'd recommend against GAMSAT at first if you can help it. The UKCAT really isn't too difficult once you practice it for a while, a lot of people feel the same as you do! Give it a go, and if you flunk it, then consider GAMSAT.

Matt
Original post by reee
EDIT:

Do you recommend applying to non-UKCAT unis, because I bought the book with examples and tbh I don't think I will do very well in it. I am thinking Bristol and Liverpool alongside St.Georges.

St georges requires gamsat if im not mistaken which is like a 5 hour exam with essay writing

My opinion is buy the 600 UKCAT book and do the exam... If u dont do too well, unis like Leicester and Soton have a more hollistic approach to considering applications and dont focus too much on entrance exams

With regards to apllying to A101 or A100... mix it up, apply for 2 A101 and 1 A100
Reply 536
Original post by reee

Cheers.

If you can, then it would be a good idea - they would want to see what experience you have that has made you decide you want to do medicine rather than pharmacy.
I think the key to work experience, particularly for GEM, seems to be less professional experience (i.e. lab work, pharmacy etc) and more voluntary, caring roles or paid care roles (nursing homes, healthcare assistants, first aid workers etc).

Your academic achievements speak for themselves, I'd focus on the UKCAT and see how it goes whilst also trying to gain caring experience. If the UKCAT is a flunk, either consider those Universities who don't weight it highly like Liverpool & Leicester, or try the GAMSAT.

Matt
Hi guys and girls :smile:

I'm a hopeful GEM applicant for 2013 entry. I have a fairly good idea of where I'd like to apply in my head (definitely Warwick due to the sheer volume of places) but I was wondering you could help me choose other options based on my background?

I have a pretty shocking record prior to my degree - D, E, E in my A-levels and B & C in my AS levels. My degree in Biomedical Science, however, is predicted at a 1:1 and I know people who have got in from my course.

I'd preferably like to stick with UKCAT uni's as GAMSAT is pretty prohibitively expensive for me at the moment, but I would consider it if it's an absolute must.

In terms of experience, I have an unpaid, 9-month placement that I'm about to finish at a clinical NHS laboratory. I'm helping care for my partner's grandfather who lives with us, with his mobility issues and far-reaching medical issues (Severe diabetes, Crohn's disease, liver disease, permanent catheter and so forth), and I'm also hoping to get nursing home voluntary work over this summer for the four months before my application.

What universities am I best applying to, assuming both an average/good UKCAT and a very good one? I'm currently unsure what I'll achieve!

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Matt
Original post by MattKneale
Hi guys and girls :smile:

I'm a hopeful GEM applicant for 2013 entry. I have a fairly good idea of where I'd like to apply in my head (definitely Warwick due to the sheer volume of places) but I was wondering you could help me choose other options based on my background?

I have a pretty shocking record prior to my degree - D, E, E in my A-levels and B & C in my AS levels. My degree in Biomedical Science, however, is predicted at a 1:1 and I know people who have got in from my course.

I'd preferably like to stick with UKCAT uni's as GAMSAT is pretty prohibitively expensive for me at the moment, but I would consider it if it's an absolute must.

In terms of experience, I have an unpaid, 9-month placement that I'm about to finish at a clinical NHS laboratory. I'm helping care for my partner's grandfather who lives with us, with his mobility issues and far-reaching medical issues (Severe diabetes, Crohn's disease, liver disease, permanent catheter and so forth), and I'm also hoping to get nursing home voluntary work over this summer for the four months before my application.

What universities am I best applying to, assuming both an average/good UKCAT and a very good one? I'm currently unsure what I'll achieve!

Any help is appreciated :smile:

Matt

They won't be very impressed if you start off by saying you're predicted a 1:1 since there's no such thing :p:

A lot of it will depend on your UKCAT, but let's assume you get a moderately good* UKCAT (675+) then you can go for Southampton and Warwick. Get above 685 and you can also add Barts and The London to your list. 700+ is good for Newcastle and possibly Imperial. With 730+ you should be okay for King's GEP which usually has the highest cut off.

Basically, I would say to try and do your best in the UKCAT, the higher you can score in it, the more choices will be open to you. Score below 670 and aside from Southampton you really won't stand a chance at the others, so I'd look at the GAMSAT unis instead...though I can appreciate why you'd want to avoid the GAMSAT unless really necessary.The scores I'm using here are based on the 2011/12 cut offs, these rise and fall slightly year on year so bear that in mind.

The UKCAT isn't too bad, it's just hoop jumping. Familiarise yourself with the questions, do some practice tests and you should be okay :smile:

*Good for graduate entry medicine I mean, I know this is well above the national mean!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending