The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Monco
Although I can imagine they're looking for students who have done more volunteer work / extracuricular activities and what not.

Not really.
Original post by Alice249
The figures your friend has for applicants per place is true generally speaking.

But not at Oxbridge.

There its more 9-11 applicants per place. Oxford requires a chemistry a-level I think so Cambridge is something worth looking into.

Other than that, practise practise and practise for entrance exams and they have as good a chance as anyone.

Cambridge also require A-level chemistry (within seven years).
Original post by Monco
I don't know about that. The requirements Cambridge asks for ( http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medgrad/ ) are not that different from other universities.

Although I can imagine they're looking for students who have done more volunteer work / extracuricular activities and what not.

Last time i looked Cambridge were asking for A/AS level passes in 3 of these subjects:
Biology
Maths
Chemistry (A2 compulsory)
Physics

Oxford were asking for 2.

Most med schools don't really care about A levels for GEP applicants. 9 don't ask for any A levels, 1 wants an E in Chemistry, 1 wants a C in Chem, 1 doesn't care so long as you've done some Chem in your degree.

There's only really 4 programmes that are stringent on A levels, Bristol and Liverpool want BBB with Chem, and Oxbridge.

Plus with Cambridge you have to pay to do the BMAT, which is difficult and a bit of a sod to do considering it can only go towards one choice.
Reply 43
Original post by hoonosewot

Plus with Cambridge you have to pay to do the BMAT, which is difficult and a bit of a sod to do considering it can only go towards one choice.

Really? For the Cambridge GEP you don't have to do the BMAT, at least according to this site: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html
Original post by Monco
Really? For the Cambridge GEP you don't have to do the BMAT, at least according to this site: http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/medicine/requirements.html

They certainly did it a year or two ago, maybe they've changed now. Still that doesn't say they don't ask for it, it says they do for A100 and if you wanna do GEP to e-mail and ask. Maybe some people have to do it to prove their scientific knowledge whereas others are considered to be adequately proven already.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 45
They certainly did it a year or two ago, maybe they've changed now. Still that doesn't say they don't ask for it, it says they do for A100 and if you wanna do GEP to e-mail and ask. Maybe some people have to do it to prove their scientific knowledge whereas others are considered to be adequately proven already.

This is what I've found:

* Please note that it is not essential for applicants to the Cambridge Graduate course in Medicine (A101) to sit the BMAT, although applicants could use a successful result as part of their pre-medical requirements.

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/bmat/faqs#q2

So maybe folks who don't have the A-levels should take the BMAT.
Reply 46
There's only really 4 programmes that are stringent on A levels, Bristol and Liverpool want BBB with Chem, and Oxbridge.

From what I've gathered Oxford and Cambridge want AAA at A-Levels, with an A in either biology or chemistry, even though they don't specify. I have not come across a single offer holder with lower than AAA.
Original post by Monco
This is what I've found:

http://www.admissionstests.cambridgeassessment.org.uk/adt/bmat/faqs#q2

So maybe folks who don't have the A-levels should take the BMAT.

Don't know. The website seemed to suggest the A levels were mandatory, so perhaps the BMAT is for people who did them more than 7 years ago or something. Doesn't really matter either way, getting a bit off topic.
Original post by ma'92
From what I've gathered Oxford and Cambridge want AAA at A-Levels, with an A in either biology or chemistry, even though they don't specify. I have not come across a single offer holder with lower than AAA.

Indeed, i was just putting down their minimum requirements.
Reply 49
I think it's a mixture of Oxbridge asking for quite specific A levels as well as a degree, and people being unwilling to risk one of their choices on universities they're scared will think they aren't good enough.

:yes: Plus the tiny amount of places compared to say, Warwick.
Reply 50
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Tell that to the engineers in my cohort, brah.

Ah OK. Admittedly I was going from info on Medschoolsonline and not the Warwick site. :smile:
Reply 51
Original post by Lantana
:yes: Plus the tiny amount of places compared to say, Warwick.

But that shouldn't matter. More places = more applicants. Isn't that a rule of thumb?
Reply 52
Original post by Monco
But that shouldn't matter. More places = more applicants. Isn't that a rule of thumb?

Not necessarily. But surely you are just backing me up. Oxbridge =small amount of places therefore small amount of applicants :tongue:
Reply 53
Hey :-)

I did law at uni and got a 2:1 (2009). I then had a baby and have been working in a bank since! So wanting to do medicine probably seems random but it isn't, it's taken me a looong time to figure out what I want to do! I can only apply to Kings and St Georges as I have to stay in London for the support from my family with baby etc. I am about to start my training with St Johns and I'm trying to wrangle some work experiance at my mums work (shes a nurse). I am also writing to all the hospitals around me about the possiblity of work experiance too. Also applying for part-time roles in healthcare instead of the current bank I work in. Lastly, also hoping to do a 2 week gap medic stint in St Lucia next summer-depending on finances.

I have started to 'revise' for this years UKCAT but I feel to do the GAMSAT and revision justice, being from a non-science background I would have to sit that next year. So I'm thinking to apply to Kings this year and hope for a super good score? BUT should I apply for Sept 2012 OR say I want to defer to get more experiance as I won't have done all of the above by the time I have to send of my personal statement. Which would be better from the unis point of view?

And yes I know the GEM programmes are super competitive! If I did just apply to Kings this year and was unsuccessful, I would reapply next year to them and St Georges. And basically keep going until I get in lol.

Anywho, thanks for reading, any thoughts would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by naynay135
Hey :-)

I did law at uni and got a 2:1 (2009). I then had a baby and have been working in a bank since! So wanting to do medicine probably seems random but it isn't, it's taken me a looong time to figure out what I want to do! I can only apply to Kings and St Georges as I have to stay in London for the support from my family with baby etc. I am about to start my training with St Johns and I'm trying to wrangle some work experiance at my mums work (shes a nurse). I am also writing to all the hospitals around me about the possiblity of work experiance too. Also applying for part-time roles in healthcare instead of the current bank I work in. Lastly, also hoping to do a 2 week gap medic stint in St Lucia next summer-depending on finances.

I have started to 'revise' for this years UKCAT but I feel to do the GAMSAT and revision justice, being from a non-science background I would have to sit that next year. So I'm thinking to apply to Kings this year and hope for a super good score? BUT should I apply for Sept 2012 OR say I want to defer to get more experiance as I won't have done all of the above by the time I have to send of my personal statement. Which would be better from the unis point of view?

And yes I know the GEM programmes are super competitive! If I did just apply to Kings this year and was unsuccessful, I would reapply next year to them and St Georges. And basically keep going until I get in lol.

Anywho, thanks for reading, any thoughts would be appreciated :smile:

I would suggest that you apply for 2012 Entry. If you get in, you wouldn't need the extra work experience :smile: If you didn't get in, then you'll get a whole year to accumulate as much work experience as you can. Then when you reapply, it could be taken as a sign of commitment to medicine at that university since you came back to try again after being rejected the previous year.

One thing tho, check if Kings / St. Georges lets people reapply. Some universities don't.
Apps per place tends to be fairly proportionate for some reason, with a few exceptions including KCL which seems to be ultracompetitive.

I believe the general average is around 13-20 applicants per place.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yep, sounds like you've got your head screwed on. Although, I must point out that for kings, you need to be aiming for a UKCAT over 700 to get an interview. In addition, GEP is expensive and personally I wouldn't be wasting money on a glorified holiday to St. Lucia when there is plenty of experience available in the UK. It won't buy you extra brownie points. Finally, don't just apply to one Uni, you may as well slap some others in there too.
Reply 57
Thanks for the reply guys, I have nothing to lose by applying for 2012 but might waste a year unneccessrily if I don't! Cheers for the heads up on reapplicants Vulpes, hadn't thought of that so I'll email the admissions departments.
GodspeedGehenna I know I'm going to have to do super well at the UKCAT to even be considered for interview but I'm feeling positive that I can do it-if I can crack abstract reasoning :mad::rolleyes: And I hear what your saying about other unis but I have no choice but to stay in London, I'll need help picking lil one up from nursery and then school for example and my family would be able to help. I think my mum would kill me if I said I was moving away with lil 1 aswell lol.
Ah dear, decisions decisions!
Reply 58
Oh and the gap medic trip is me trying to kill to birds with one stone. I haven't been on holiday in years and was meant to go this year but everyone dropped out so I'm determined to go next year! My ethnic background is caribbean but I've never been so would be nice. And the medical experiance would be invaluable-I doubt I'll be able to get the equivalent over here.
Ooh, check out the gradmed megathread. Very fancy.

Quick Reply

Latest