The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

I don't understand. How can you not apply for 2014 entry? That's what deferred entry is!

See screenshot below:

Attachment not found
GEP programmes don't allow deferred entry unless there are exceptional circumstances (and only when you already hold a place). You cannot apply for deferred entry; if you want to apply for any 2014 GEP programmes you'd have to do that around October 2013.

It is possible, according to people on here, to work part-time to earn money -- particularly earlier on in the course. If this isn't an option, then wouldn't it be best to play it safe and wait an extra year? You could use that year well earning money and volunteering.
Reply 742
OP - just had a look and seen that both KCL and SGUL allow for deferred entry.

If I were you, I'd apply for just 2013 entry and see if you get in. If you get a place defer due to financial reasons at the *latest* opportunity - gives you time to make a judgement call as to whether you have enough money behind you to go straight into the course in 2013.
OP. I did this last year, IIRC only 3 GEPs allow deferred entry:

KCL, SGUL and Southampton
Original post by groovyangel2008
Just to let you know to apply for the 4 year course at bham you need to have achieved a first class honours in your first degree. You could try the five year course though if you feel it is viable, although I know bham are big on GCSE's even with graduate applicants.

Yup and i can't remember what other uni was as well but i remember the lovely arsey women at bham tell me because of my GCSE results i think i was 1 A off "You shouldn't apply here, you clearly do not have the academic background required to study medicine" so my reply of "Soo me being lazy when i was 16 means i can't study medicine or be a good doctor and you don't think 4 years of disaster medicine relief and public health work is at all relevant?"
I shockingly didn't get an email back...
Hello

I would like some advice. I am sitting the UKCAT on 6 September. I want to apply to Warwick, Newcastle, Leciester. However, I could apply to Southampton but I do not have an A-level in Chemistry.

I have found a college to take me on and do A-level chemistry within a year for a fee of £652. However, I am not sure whether this is worth it just for Southampton (I only like the fact that they do not interview). They said I could apply and put on predicted grades - I am not sure what to do :-(

Any Advice??
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mature007
Hello

I would like some advice. I am sitting the UKCAT on 6 September. I want to apply to Warwick, Cambridge, Leciester. However, I could apply to Southampton but I do not have an A-level in Chemistry.

I have found a college to take me on and do A-level chemistry within a year for a fee of £652. However, I am not sure whether this is worth it just for Southampton (I only like the fact that they do not interview). They said I could apply and put on predicted grades - I am not sure what to do :-(

Any Advice??

Overall I'd say it's not worth it, but it depends on your background. Soton are very keen on getting individuals from non-standard backgrounds: carers, healthcare professionals etc.

If your strength lies in your voluntary/caring work, then yes Soton is a better option. If it's more academic, you'll be just fine with Cambridge. Warwick is a good mix of both.
thanks matt. i meant to write newcastle rather than cambridge. i do not meet their entry requirements. i just dont want o spend 652. i'll just apply to warwick, newcasle and lecister as they dont care about alevels.
So people I want to apply for graduate entry medicine too, but I honestly don't think I would get in. It's so competitive and also I haven't got much work experience. I heard most universities expect that you have done a lot of work experience to do the graduate course. You need to stand out from the rest. I'm thinking of taking a gap year (so I can focus on my third year of uni now) and applying for 2015 entry. This way I can do more work exp and better prepare for my UKCAT - because I have not looked at any practice questions at all. Do you guys think I should go ahead with my plan or apply for 2014? Ohh another question, do other European countries do the graduate entry course or is it just here? Has anyone here tried apply elsewhere (around the world)?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by JustOrdinary
So people I want to apply for graduate entry medicine too, but I honestly don't think I would get in. It's so competitive and also I haven't got much work experience. I heard most universities expect that you have done a lot of work experience to do the graduate course. You need to stand out from the rest. I'm thinking of taking a gap year (so I can focus on my third year of uni now) and applying for 2014 entry. This way I can do more work exp and better prepare for my UKCAT - because I have not looked at any practice questions at all. Do you guys think I should go ahead with my plan or apply for 2013? Ohh another question, do other European countries do the graduate entry course or is it just here? Has anyone here tried apply elsewhere (around the world)?

I got into GEM with 3 weeks worth of work experience. Not a massive amount. It's not about how much you do, it's what you take away from it and reflect on. You still have two months before the UKCAT deadline, it's not too late by any means.

You have nothing to lose by applying this year so don't psyche yourself out (or worse - make up excuses :p:).

And I don't think GEM is offered in Europe and if it is, the fees will be extortionate.
Original post by lcsurfer
Yup and i can't remember what other uni was as well but i remember the lovely arsey women at bham tell me because of my GCSE results i think i was 1 A off "You shouldn't apply here, you clearly do not have the academic background required to study medicine" so my reply of "Soo me being lazy when i was 16 means i can't study medicine or be a good doctor and you don't think 4 years of disaster medicine relief and public health work is at all relevant?"

I once was rejected for work experience in radiography because of my academics. ABBB at A-level and a 2.1 degree wasn't good enough. :biggrin:
what are cambridge like for looking at a levels? i looked on the grad med page on here and it said passes in bio and chem, which i guess is EE?

so if you got a good degree, like 70%+ would they look at your a levels and gcse's or just your degree and ps
Original post by good morning
what are cambridge like for looking at a levels? i looked on the grad med page on here and it said passes in bio and chem, which i guess is EE?

so if you got a good degree, like 70%+ would they look at your a levels and gcse's or just your degree and ps

The EE would be a minimum requirement i.e. if the rest of your application is, to them, exceptional (perhaps a very, very good degree, excellent admissions test (is it UKCAT or BMAT for Cambridge GEP? Can't remember) and lots of experience).

It's to do with scoring, you need to hit a minimum score on their system and if you are on or above it it's possible to get in. The more ticks you have on the above, the better chance you have. It is possible, but unlikely, to get in with just EE passes.
Original post by Pandabär
I once was rejected for work experience in radiography because of my academics. ABBB at A-level and a 2.1 degree wasn't good enough. :biggrin:

Thats just ridiculous.

Original post by lcsurfer

What's the point in GEPs if they are going to reject people based on GCSEs. I've also looked at Leicester's requirements and it basically looks like they are accepting people who could have got in after A level anyway (and now have extra experience) :rolleyes: I realised I wouldn't get maximum points for the GCSE or A level sections :frown:
Original post by manupalace
Thats just ridiculous.

I know. Especially as it was for over-18's only, so they should be used to people with diverse academic qualifications applying. :rolleyes:

I went and got better work experience elsewhere.
Reply 755
Hey soz for jumping in but I've been checking my options for courses and wondered if anyone knows how occupational therapy would look to most med schools for a graduate entry course. I'm going to contact the uni but thought I'd check if anyone has already done anything similar?:-)
Original post by doc2b
Hey soz for jumping in but I've been checking my options for courses and wondered if anyone knows how occupational therapy would look to most med schools for a graduate entry course. I'm going to contact the uni but thought I'd check if anyone has already done anything similar?:-)

The issue with occupational therapy is the lack of chemistry content, though this is not an issue usually so long as you have A-level chemistry. Barts would take you with A-level chemistry at grade B.
Reply 757
Thanks sounds good, I'm pretty sure I got at least that and hoping for an A
Original post by doc2b
Thanks sounds good, I'm pretty sure I got at least that and hoping for an A

It's only at AS level, too, if that helps more :smile:
Reply 759
Original post by Mature007
Hello

I would like some advice. I am sitting the UKCAT on 6 September. I want to apply to Warwick, Newcastle, Leciester. However, I could apply to Southampton but I do not have an A-level in Chemistry.

Any Advice??

Personally, I wouldn't do it as IMO it's an unnecessary expense. You're better off putting that time and energy into the gamsat and going for gamsat unis in addition to the ukcat ones as you'd be opening up more options to yourself. I applied to southampton twice (I really wanted to go there as I liked their teaching style) and I still don't know what they want lol except that they seem to favour science grads having spoken to a friend who currently studies there... but they do not explicitly say that on their website/or in their prospectus. Also the fact that they don't interview is the worst reason to apply there! It's heavily competitive for this very reason!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending