The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - The GEM "Am I Good Enough?" General Questions & Advice Megathread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by pegler
Hi,

I sat UKCAT on monday and sadly only scored 2395. I'm currently at birmingham doing biological sciences (expecting to get a 2.1) and I will consider 4 or 5 year courses. I'm sitting Gamsat but not holding out too much hope!

So my question is, is anyone aware of universities that place little emphasis on UKCAT scores? Assuming the soton cut-off doesn't go up too much I should be ok there, so will put down both 4 and 5 year courses.

I have Chemistry, Maths and Geography at A level (AAA) and Biology at AS (A).

Any advice would be great

From past (and unsuccessful) experiences, I know that Aberdeen only give the UKCAT a 4% weighting. Mine was quite low and when I received feedback I got my interview due to academics and my written application.

Also HYMS use a points system and it isn't too hard to make up the points you lost due to a low UKCAT... again I found this out on my feedback letter after ANOTHER unsuccessful interview *sigh*. So with there, as long as you have a really good personal statement, you should be okay with there. Mind you they only offer the 5 year course.

As for other med schools, I'm not sure! Oh, Keele hardly use it at all for their standard 5 year, otherwise for the 4 year you'll need the GAMSAT.
HYMS....leicester (base it on your lowest score - so depends)

Liverpool (dont use UKCAT if i remember correctly)

Bristol? (as above)

this is off top of my head. but i'd advise you to look at each uni website or there is a great resource on here that lets you know all reqs.
Did anyone applying through UCAS as a graduate add all of their module results? I did a 5 year course so it would be like 50 modules I would need to add and I don't even know if UCAS will let me add that many!

By the way - I am not applying to a GEM course but a normal 5 year course at one of the Scottish medical schools.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 163
I will be getting my results today but I just want to prepare myself in case I do not meet my offer. I applied for biomedical science. Would I be able to apply for the graduate stream with a psychology degree? What degrees would be suitable? Thanks in advance.
(edited 12 years ago)
some universities have programmes which require don't require specific degrees whilst others have a list of accepted degrees. You'll just have to check with the universities that you wish to apply to.
Wasn't there a guy on this forum who already did that? godspeedgehenna I think. I may be wrong. Studied psychology, then got onto a graduate medicine course.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 166
Original post by Vanny17
I will be getting my results today but I just want to prepare myself in case I do not meet my offer. I applied to biomedical science. Would I be able to apply for the graduate stream with a psychology degree? What degrees would be suitable?

I think you can because it's a Life Health and Science course. I know quite a few who have applied successfully with Psychologh infact.

Anyway, best of luck I hope you get into your Uni/course..:borat:

Yeah this dude did it after Psy: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=143055
Reply 167
Original post by Yawn11
I think you can because it's a Life Health and Science course. I know quite a few who have applied successfully with Psychologh infact.

Anyway, best of luck I hope you get into your Uni/course..:borat:

Yeah this dude did it after Psy: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=143055

Original post by Fat-Love
Wasn't there a guy on this forum who already did that? godspeedgehenna I think. I may be wrong. Studied psychology, then got onto a graduate medicine course.

Original post by Comet Andromeda
some universities have programmes which require don't require specific degrees whilst others have a list of accepted degrees. You'll just have to check with the universities that you wish to apply to.

Thanks very much for the replies. :biggrin::
Reply 168
I got into GEM with a Psychology degree *nods* - I'd ensure the Psychology course is BPS accredited though :smile:
I know that all of the Scottish medical schools say a relevant science degree and if it is not a relevant science degree then you must have relevant qualifications in Chemistry & Biology. I have an undergraduate Masters in Computer Science and I am undertaking Chemistry & Biology this year at Scottish Higher to meet the requirements. The Scottish universities don't offer a GEM 4-year course though so it might be different.
Reply 170
But at post graduate level, would it be better for me to do a chemistry degree or a biomed degree?
bumpitty bump
Reply 173
no idea...
Reply 174

i think after graduation you become some sort of technician i.e. put in cannulas, take bloods etc. you can become a cardiac physiologist where you take ECGs. Ring up the uni and see what they say. Also it may not be academic enough for GEM if this is where you want to go, as it is a relatively new course so you need to find this out from the med schools themselves.
Reply 175
Original post by Vanny17
I will be getting my results today but I just want to prepare myself in case I do not meet my offer. I applied for biomedical science. Would I be able to apply for the graduate stream with a psychology degree? What degrees would be suitable? Thanks in advance.

I didn't get into my Biomed placement :frown: So I'm doing Psychology! :P Hopefully getting a 2.1 so I can do GEM :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 176
Hi, I was just wondering does the uni you go to affect your chances for Graduate Entry Medicine, and will i be able to apply with BBBb at A level if i get a 2.i or a First.

Lastly which course would the best out of the following

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Biomed

Thanks for Advice
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 177
Original post by T-Bags
Hi, I was just wondering does the uni you go to affect your chances for Graduate Entry Medicine, and will i be able to apply with BBBb at A level if i get a 2.i or a First.

Lastly which course would the best out of the following

Biology
Chemistry
Psychology
Biomed

Thanks for Advice

No, yes, whichever one you want. There are people who did Arabic, Computer Science, Business Studies etc. in my course. Having a science degree just makes it easier on yourself when applying.
Reply 178
If I do clinical sciences at Bradford uni would the degree have enough value to apply for GEM with?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
Hi
Basically today I found out that I missed my grades for medicine and am getting a priority remark done as I am 6ums away from the A grade in physics. Biology and chemistry are AA. If the remark doesn't work, do any of you know what proportion of school leavers who miss their grades go on to GEM. I asked southampton and they said that not a lot of school leavers in my position go on to do medicine as a grad but i thought GEM was the thing that most people in my siutation do.

Quick Reply