The Student Room Group

King's- Maths?

Hey, You lot noticed that Kings have changed their entry requirements? They now say you HAVE to have Maths as either an AS or A level (which I haven't done), but on the Prospectus it says anyone out of bio, physics or maths!
I'm really Pissed, they can't just change it after people have started applying?
Anyone else in the same dilemma as me?
The online prospectus isn't working at the moment :frown: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ugp06/

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/kis/schools/life_sciences/health/pharmacy/other/PharmacyDegreeBookletV003.pdf still states that chemistry A Level is the only compulsory one.

The UCAS course search (http://search.ucas.co.uk/cgi-bin/hsrun/search/search/StateId/CiawEGWvQqsObiXnc1EFDjfoTDZeG-VRMV/HAHTpage/search.HsEntryReq.run?n=702030#ER-A) says:

GCE A level

Acceptability Acceptable on its own & combined with other qualifications
Subjects and grades required Chemistry and Any Science subject.
Excluded Subjects General Studies
Additional Information Grades BBBb or BBbbb required. A/AS level Mathematics preferred.

Who told you that maths was compulsory? I really don't know that many people on the course with A Level maths, maybe AS but not the full whack.
Reply 2
yess!!! im in same situation!!
I didnt do maths at AS, but have been offered a place by kings. However, I am only predicted a B in chemistry...but they have said i need an A!! So, i think that cos i didnt do maths, they think they can push the chem offer up... hmmmm...not happy as i doubt i will get the A. Its annoying yes, they should change the requirements BEFORE people begin applying, not half way thorugh.
Reply 3
The online prospectus is working now and states:
Applicants studying Chemistry, Biology and Maths to A-Level are favoured. A-Level Chemistry must be included. Maths must be included at least to AS-Level. In addition to Chemistry and Maths we require one other science from either Biology or Physics at at least AS level and one further A-level from any of the following: Geography, History, English language, English Literature, Sociology, Politics, Geology, Philosophy or Law.

Congratulations alp12! Thats really given me hope! When did you recieve the offer?
Reply 4
I received the offer at the beginning of december.
Have you heard anything from them yet?

What has anyone else been offered for Kings... that don't do Maths..?!?!?
Heys,

I got an offer from Kings some time in December of ABB (chemistry, biology, geography respectivley).

I was told that if you don't have maths, but have already applied then you will not be automatically rejected, but will instead be required to achieve higher grades than those who so, like i have got an offer of ABB, but those with maths are offered BBB as it says on their online prospectus. Get me?
Reply 6
alp12
I received the offer at the beginning of december.
Have you heard anything from them yet?

What has anyone else been offered for Kings... that don't do Maths..?!?!?

yup i got an offer from kings in the post 2day, it doesnt say wot grades at the mo, but i dropped maths after GCSE! lol anyways how good is kings for pharmacy in comparison to the rest? I'm considering going there, but it doesn't seem to be all that great for the course, or am i talkin rubbish? lol, i'd love 4 sum1 2 prove me wrong.. its basically between kings and manchester lol- ne1 at kings/ went 2 kings? wot du think of it?
I'm doing pharmacokinetics revision now.
I well regret being forced out of maths at AS level. All these log things do my head in.

If Kings is anything like manchester, you'll do a fairly hard level of maths a few times a year, infrequent enough so that you forget stuff but often enough to be a complete pain in the arse.
Reply 8
i never new that uni's demand a level maths

most courses these days require maths even if the course seems to be unrelated to it !
Reply 9
I am curious to know, is the maths different at different uni? Or are they basically the same, essential maths one needs to know? Or some uni do more than nessecery maths?
Haven't done maths modules at other unis, so can't compare it sorry.

We did lots of fairly simple algebra, differentiation, integration, stats (stats is hard)

can't remember what else, but it wasn't too tough apart from the stats bit
Reply 11
I haven't done maths to AS level so was also rather annoyed when the entry requirements changed. I have heard from a Kings pharmacy 2nd year student that the course at Kings is not very good, anyone want to disagree?
I've heard that the teaching's not very good at Kings - not sure how much i believe that though. Hmmph. This uni stuff is doing my head in!!