The Student Room Group

Investing in property, whilst you are at university

I have been thinking about buying a house in Lancaster, for investment purposes, to sell or rent out after I have finished university there. The house prices look very reasonable, and it looks as if I can get a decent house for 110,000 or below.

Does anybody know the good areas in Lancaster, preferably somewhere close to the university?

Furthermore, does anybody know anymore property websites, all I know is right move?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Some of the houses that I have found are listed below:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29385061.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18458511.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34028465.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16722315.html
how old are you? Do you have any income?

I bought a house in my first year of university its alot to deal with
Do they even give mortgages to students?
Original post by MathematicsKiller
Do they even give mortgages to students?

Hey

Yes they do several options they give

Public Banks
Offer buy to let mortgages
And mortgage co-guaranteed by someone i.e your parents

Private Banks
Can sometimes offer you mortgages on other terms i.e future potential earnings much much higher interest rates
Reply 4
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
how old are you? Do you have any income?

I bought a house in my first year of university its alot to deal with

I am 22, I got 15k plus whatever I receive from student loan for living expenses, how did you find it buying the house. Also, I am starting a clothing business with a friend, so that should provide some income, I am about to make a thread for that too.

N.B. My family are also willing to borrow me money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Millz
I am 22, I got 15k plus whatever I receive from student loan for living expenses, how did you find it buying the house. Also, I am starting a clothing business with a friend, so that should provide some income, I am about to make a thread for that too.

N.B. My family are also willing to borrow me money.

Well it sounds like your set

Lucky for me i bought during the holidays and did most the workmanship myself. It is stressful very stressful at times. But worth it in the end. But your rents not always guaranteed. Its brilliant time to buy just not to sell. So if your a long term investor i.e 4-5 years it will pay off handsomely.
Reply 6
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
Well it sounds like your set

Lucky for me i bought during the holidays and did most the workmanship myself. It is stressful very stressful at times. But worth it in the end. But your rents not always guaranteed. Its brilliant time to buy just not to sell. So if your a long term investor i.e 4-5 years it will pay off handsomely.

What area did you buy your property in. Yea, I am thinking long-term? How much did you pay for your house, if you do not mind me asking? Also, how is the mortgage payments, can you pay a year up front?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by Millz
What area did you buy your property in. Yea, I am thinking long-term? How much did you pay for your house, if you do not mind me asking? Also, how is the mortgage payments, can you pay a year up front?

Thanks in advance.

I paid over 100k i didnt take a mortgage in the end but i did apply for one and got approved but parents helped fund me bought in the midlands stick to an area you know
Original post by Millz
I have been thinking about buying a house in Lancaster, for investment purposes, to sell or rent out after I have finished university there. The house prices look very reasonable, and it looks as if I can get a decent house for 110,000 or below.

Does anybody know the good areas in Lancaster, preferably somewhere close to the university?

Furthermore, does anybody know anymore property websites, all I know is right move?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Some of the houses that I have found are listed below:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29385061.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-18458511.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34028465.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16722315.html

How long/short a term are you looking at?

Not too familiar with that neck of the woods...... I never touch any property north of the Spaghetti Junction.

Anyway I have been into property investing for the last 9 years, if you are buying for your own stay then on condition you can get a good mortgage, there isn't a better time to buy.

Long term investing, I would only invest long term in the SE part of the country and at this moment in time my cut-off is 5 miles outside of the nearest M25 exit or a train station that is within 3 miles away. However if you are buying for long term rental then it depends entirely on the neighbourhood, one thing for sure, don't expect prices to rise anytime in the next 10 years.... where it does rise, then you need to take into account the inflation rates as well as to whether it is worth it or not.

Short term? Expect prices to remain at near stagnant levels for at least 5 years and you should be thankful if the house you buy today doesn't fall in value :biggrin: This one even if your property is in Knightsbridge you can still expect it to fall :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Erich Hartmann
How long/short a term are you looking at?

Not too familiar with that neck of the woods...... I never touch any property north of the Spaghetti Junction.

Anyway I have been into property investing for the last 9 years, if you are buying for your own stay then on condition you can get a good mortgage, there isn't a better time to buy.

Long term investing, I would only invest long term in the SE part of the country and at this moment in time my cut-off is 5 miles outside of the nearest M25 exit or a train station that is within 3 miles away. However if you are buying for long term rental then it depends entirely on the neighbourhood, one thing for sure, don't expect prices to rise anytime in the next 10 years.... where it does rise, then you need to take into account the inflation rates as well as to whether it is worth it or not.

Short term? Expect prices to remain at near stagnant levels for at least 5 years and you should be thankful if the house you buy today doesn't fall in value :biggrin: This one even if your property is in Knightsbridge you can still expect it to fall :tongue:

I was thinking 5 years; I was planning to rent it out when I finish uni.
Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

1) Property prices may still fall some way, especially outside London. There is still a price/earnings mismatch and a seller/buyer expectation mismatch. See http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-1720650/A-property-market-of-haves-and-have-nots.html.

2) You are unlikely to be able to get a mortgage. 15% is not a large deposit, and you have not got a stable income against which the bank can expect repayment. If you can get a mortgage, the interest rate is likely to be very high.

3) How can you afford to make mortgage payments whilst at uni?

4) You are locking yourself into earning an immediate income for no good reason. Perhaps you would like to take a post-uni gap year and go travelling? Perhaps you will decide to do a masters? Perhaps you will decide to enter a graduate job? None of these things are possible if you are obliged to make a certain income to meet your repayments. And of course you may be unemployed for some time or doing lower paid or voluntary work whilst you find a decent graduate job.

It would be much more sensible to put your money into a savings account, invest it in a fund (your bank can help with this, or you can do it through a stock broker - your money is pooled with that of other investors and invested in a particular type of asset) or invest in shares. You are likely to get a better return (particularly if the high mortgage costs you will face are taken into account), plus its liquid: you can sell the shares if you need cash, or you can just keep them and sell them when it is time to buy a property. And if you end up not earning for a few months you don't have to still meet regular repayments.

The idea that investing in property is a good idea for everyone developed some years ago when any idiot could make fists-full of money on the back of house prices that continued to rise above the rate of inflation for decades. This simply can't and won't continue, "just invest in property" isn't true anymore. If you genuinely believe in the property market, you should put your money in an investment fund that invests in the property market - you will gain if house prices go up, without the issues associated with getting a mortgage at an inappropriate time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by jacketpotato
Sounds like a very bad idea to me.

1) Property prices may still fall some way, especially outside London. There is still a price/earnings mismatch and a seller/buyer expectation mismatch. See http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/mortgageshome/article-1720650/A-property-market-of-haves-and-have-nots.html.

2) You are unlikely to be able to get a mortgage. 15% is not a large deposit, and you have not got a stable income against which the bank can expect repayment. If you can get a mortgage, the interest rate is likely to be very high.

3) How can you afford to make mortgage payments whilst at uni?

4) You are locking yourself into earning an immediate income for no good reason. Perhaps you would like to take a post-uni gap year and go travelling? Perhaps you will decide to do a masters? Perhaps you will decide to enter a graduate job? None of these things are possible if you are obliged to make a certain income to meet your repayments. And of course you may be unemployed for some time or doing lower paid or voluntary work whilst you find a decent graduate job.

It would be much more sensible to put your money into a savings account, invest it in a fund (your bank can help with this, or you can do it through a stock broker - your money is pooled with that of other investors and invested in a particular type of asset) or invest in shares. You are likely to get a better return (particularly if the high mortgage costs you will face are taken into account), plus its liquid: you can sell the shares if you need cash, or you can just keep them and sell them when it is time to buy a property. And if you end up not earning for a few months you don't have to still meet regular repayments.

The idea that investing in property is a good idea for everyone developed some years ago when any idiot could make fists-full of money on the back of house prices that continued to rise above the rate of inflation for decades. This simply can't and won't continue, "just invest in property" isn't true anymore. If you genuinely believe in the property market, you should put your money in an investment fund that invests in the property market - you will gain if house prices go up, without the issues associated with getting a mortgage at an inappropriate time.

Thanks mate, do you trade ?
Original post by Millz
I was thinking 5 years; I was planning to rent it out when I finish uni.

Take the 4th property as an example, I think if I remember correctly it was listed at £69500 or something like that.............. what are the average rental rates in that area for a property similar to it? Then look at how much your monthly repayment will be..... do factor in that interest rates would have to go up pretty soon.

Whether you can make money or not from it will depend on the condition of the house and the extent of the maintenance required to keep the property in liveable state............trust me this isn't cheap which is why landlords tend to skimp on this as long as possible.
Original post by Millz
Thanks mate, do you trade ?

No worries. I used to trade shares and derivatives, now I only trade funds (junior lawyer, generally the risk of owning shares directly is too great for me because I have insider information).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending