The Student Room Group

Paranoid I will get caught speeding

When I am driving along on a normal road thats 30mph I am always constantly checking the speedometer to check that I am not going over 30.
Whenever I am doing 30 I release the gas pedal a little as otherwise I seem to go over 30 realy quickly without meaning it to.
Consequently the speed then drops and I worry that I may be going too slow and annoy the car behind.

Does anyone else feel like this or am I just weird?
Reply 1
I don't actually feel like this, but I'll try to help.

Firstly, you're unlikely to be prosecuted in a 30mph zone unless you're travelling faster than around 35mph.

Secondly, your speedometer is likely to over-read by about 5-10%, giving an extra margin of comfort.

Thirdly, there isn't that much enforcement around, so if you briefly stray over by a few mph it's very unlikely that anyone will even notice, let alone care.

Of course I'm not sure how you use the gearbox, and the gearing varies from one vehicle to another, but it's often helpful to use 2nd or 3rd gear in 30mph zones rather than straying into the higher regions of the box. This can assist with speed control and prevent drifting - maybe something to try.

And if there are any fixed speed cameras around where you regularly drive, just take a quick glance at the speedometer before you reach them to ensure you're compliant.

So basically try to use the gearbox to your advantage, and don't fret too much over the odd mph or two as it really isn't that important.

HTH :smile:
Reply 2
I am a bit like that, I can't seem to keep a nice constant speed. When I see it go up to 30 I think I better go lighter on the gas so I don't go over, then I drop to about 26 and think I better speed up so I don't annoy the drivers behind me. It's a constant cycle.
Reply 3
I get up to a speed that's suitable for the weather and road conditions (ideally bang on 30) then just find the right pressure on the gas pedal that stops me speeding up yet keeps me at my desired speed.

I don't know whether it's a good idea but I always use the road to my advantage, like if I'm going down hill I'll come off the gas a lot as I know I'll pick up speed on the way down the hill.
Reply 4
Better being cautious than speeding and getting caught!
Reply 5
Original post by Doofy
Better being cautious than speeding and getting caught!

Depends if by "being cautious" you mean constantly checking your speedo to check you haven't drifted 1mph over the limit. I'd say that's a pretty dangerous thing to do.
Reply 6
Original post by FXX
Depends if by "being cautious" you mean constantly checking your speedo to check you haven't drifted 1mph over the limit. I'd say that's a pretty dangerous thing to do.

Well no, I mean like staying around the 30 mark and occasionally glancing, not constantly checking it :tongue:
Reply 7
Stay in 3rd instead of using 4th, you'll want to keep it under 30 (~27 is usually fine) to keep the revs low for economy and you'll notice the engine tone more if you do start to creep faster, not to mention better control of the car when on hills.
I do this, every time I come near speed camera's I keep checking my speedo and then freak out if I go near one at like 31 or 32 in a 30. Hate the bloody things.
Reply 9
I used to be like this, but as has been said, there is very rarely enforcement, I just make sure my speedo always reads 30 when I go past speed cameras (they have lots of camera boxes up here but like swapping the actual cameras around so we dont know where they are) or if I see police around. That said, I have been tailgated by police cars in the past, most of them dont really care unless you are going stupidly fast.
Original post by Arron17
I do this, every time I come near speed camera's I keep checking my speedo and then freak out if I go near one at like 31 or 32 in a 30. Hate the bloody things.

Its not gonna flash at 31 or 32

Quick Reply

Latest