The Student Room Group

Student Loans and Taking a year out

I'm not actually taking a year out, I'm having a year abroad, but it's essentially a year out as far as Student Finance England are concerned because I'm not applying for any money this year. My course has been extended by one year to a four year course to accommodate the year abroad, but there are no fees for the third year so I only need three years of loan just like before.

Basically I've got one year of university left, but instead of taking the loan now, I'm delaying it by one year.

I went onto the Website to amend my profile but there's no way of changing your status without applying for another year of loan! I don't want any money!

I phoned Student Finance and they said "Just don't apply for any loan and write us a letter saying what's happening so we're kept informed, then in a year's time when you apply for your final year of funding amend the form to say that it's the final year of a four year degree".

So I wrote them a letter two weeks ago explaining my situation - I don't want any money this year, my course is four years but I only one more year of funding and it's a year later.

I haven't heard anything from them since. I'm worrying that I'm jeopardising my final year of funding for some reason. What should I do?

Thanks for any advice you can give :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending