The Student Room Group

Government & Politics or Law?

Poll

Which subject to self teach?

Basically I'm about to go into year 11 and am thinking or self teaching an A Level early, but I don't know which subject to do.

I've got it down to either Gov & Politics or Law, Please vote in poll and also comment on pros and cons of the subjects.

Reply 1
gov + pol is universally recognised as an 'proper' a level. Some universities do not accept law as an a-level.
Reply 2
Original post by treyno
gov + pol is universally recognised as an 'proper' a level. Some universities do not accept law as an a-level.

I think most Universities do now accept Law as a 'Proper' A-Level
Reply 3
Having done both, the second unit of both AS-Levels is very similar (AQA Gov-Pol, OCR Law).
Law would probably be the easiest to self teach, if on OCR.
However, the A2 of Law would probably be quite hard to understand without a tutor who fully understands the law.
Original post by forrestgump26
I think most Universities do now accept Law as a 'Proper' A-Level

No they don't, especially if you want to do Law at university. Universities prefer History and English over Law for a Law degree. Many universities consider Law to have a poor syllabus and it is generally disregarded by the top universities.

Govt & Politics is considered to be the stronger of the two and most universities accept it. It would be preferred to Law if you wanted to do Law at university.

But neither are considered to be very strong subjects as shown here. Both fall under the "Limited Suitability" list.
Original post by michaelhaych
No they don't, especially if you want to do Law at university. Universities prefer History and English over Law for a Law degree. Many universities consider Law to have a poor syllabus and it is generally disregarded by the top universities.

Govt & Politics is considered to be the stronger of the two and most universities accept it. It would be preferred to Law if you wanted to do Law at university.

But neither are considered to be very strong subjects as shown here. Both fall under the "Limited Suitability" list.

Hmmm, most universities do accept it, but unis with specific lists of "preferred" subjects do seem to have an aversion to the Law A-level and if studied want it as a 4th subject rather than part of the 3 main A-levels, or they deem it less suitable.

I would say Law because it's a really enjoyable course but if you are worried about its status as a "soft" or "less preferred" A-level at some unis, pick Gov+Pol (although this isn't a traditional subject either but correct me if I'm wrong anyone who has had experience applying to top unis!).
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest