The Student Room Group

Does this sound like dyspraxia?

Hey,

I have severe OCD but feel as though something else is wrong with me, I was wondering if my issues (below) sound like dyspraxia? or are they just anxiety related?:

1. I have difficulty organizing myself e.g. planning what to do and timing it efficiently

2. I am unable to put together children's puzzles (e.g. big 5 piece puzzles) and always lose my place when reading (again even children's books and even when the child I'm reading to knows where I had got to!)

3. I have difficulty memorizing

4. I am more clumsy than most- frequently spill things on myself!

5. At assessment as a young child, somebody said I had poorly established hand dominance, (although I was an early crawler and walked on my first birthday, learned to ride a bike at 6 and am good at playing tennis [despite some difficulty with hand-eye coordination/catching when younger] so I don't really have motor coordination problems).

6. Tendency to say things loudly without realising it's loud!

7. Claustrophobic tendency: dislike being sat between two people!

8. I find instructions difficult to follow

9. I am messy and chaotic!

10. I do lots of things at once and finish nothing! (I've recently started writing process lists so that I stay on task and tick off each sub-task in order and this has helped!)

Anyway does anyone have dyspraxia and does this sound like dyspraxia?

(I have good grades at university so far but have missed exams through illness)
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This sounds just like me
but I have never being diagnosed with anything
Reply 3
See a doctor?
Reply 4
Thanks, I will see a doctor- do I go & ask for referral to an educational psychologist? I'm seeing a clinical psychologist should I ask her rather than the GP?
Reply 5
Hello Katy, I have dyspraxia and would be glad to talk to you about it. I have actually been diagnosed since the age of five - If you would send me a private message and I'll add you to facebook and we can discuss it.
Reply 6
Hey,

I have severe OCD but feel as though something else is wrong with me, I was wondering if my issues (below) sound like dyspraxia? or are they just anxiety related?:

1. I have difficulty organizing myself e.g. planning what to do and timing it efficiently - Sign of Dyspraxia

2. I am unable to put together children's puzzles (e.g. big 5 piece puzzles) and always lose my place when reading (again even children's books and even when the child I'm reading to knows where I had got to!) - Possible Dyspraxia

3. I have difficulty memorizing - Sign of Dyspraxia

4. I am more clumsy than most- frequently spill things on myself! - I have no issue with this, I have issues with riding a bike etc which is fire motor control

5. At assessment as a young child, somebody said I had poorly established hand dominance, (although I was an early crawler and walked on my first birthday, learned to ride a bike at 6 and am good at playing tennis [despite some difficulty with hand-eye coordination/catching when younger] so I don't really have motor coordination problems).

6. Tendency to say things loudly without realising it's loud! - Not Dyspraxia

7. Claustrophobic tendency: dislike being sat between two people! - Not Dyspraxia

8. I find instructions difficult to follow - Possible Dyspraxia

9. I am messy and chaotic! - Not really Dyspraxia.

10. I do lots of things at once and finish nothing! (I've recently started writing process lists so that I stay on task and tick off each sub-task in order and this has helped!) - Not really Dyspraxia

Reply 7
I was diagnosed at a very young age only being five, as I was not developing as other children were.

You'll require a doctors appointment who will discuss your concerns and if he believes your concerns are a valid reason to be referred to an educational psychologist "They're the ones who will diagnose you" he will arrange an appointment. This can take up to twelve to thirteen weeks to take place so the sooner you address the issue the sooner you can get a diagnosis.

Your school or college/university can actually arrange for an educational psychologist to come and visit you while at school etc. This usually incurs a cost which will be between 50 - 75 quid and is non refundable as its private though depending on your school it can be free.
Reply 8
I'm Dyspraxic and Dyslexic and have quite a few of the symptoms you described.

With regards to the post 2 above me I'd like to add that the losing place in books could be Dyslexia which it is very common to find overlapping with Dyspraxia, 4 is common issue and one I have sometimes and may indicate problem 5, it can show in different situations for different people. 6 is interesting one, I've never actually heard it mentioned as a Dyspraxia specific problem but I do the same! Perhaps we're both just going deaf! 7 could be Dyspraxia or anxiety, Dyspraxia wouldn't cause claustrophobia but it may cause the exam you describe as Dyspraxic people sometimes don't like being touched which is something that can happen sitting between people, I hate sitting in the middle of people myself. 9 could be related to 1, lack of organisation, but it depends in what context you mean messy and chaotic, same with 10 as it is to do with organising and remembering to do things which is a common issue.

If I were you I would see about getting an assessment, it's not going to do any harm and may help you in long run with exams and things as you may be able to get allowances.
Reply 9
Thanks Earlysound and Dr Zaius,

Your posts make sense & it's really helpful to hear about the wait for assessment and the costs involved! Earlysound- I will PM definitely, I've recently deleted my facebook account because I was addicted!
Original post by earlysound
Hey,

1. I have difficulty organizing myself e.g. planning what to do and timing it efficiently - Sign of Dyspraxia

2. I am unable to put together children's puzzles (e.g. big 5 piece puzzles) and always lose my place when reading (again even children's books and even when the child I'm reading to knows where I had got to!) - Possible Dyspraxia

3. I have difficulty memorizing - Sign of Dyspraxia

4. I am more clumsy than most- frequently spill things on myself! - I have no issue with this, I have issues with riding a bike etc which is fire motor control

6. Tendency to say things loudly without realising it's loud! - Not Dyspraxia

7. Claustrophobic tendency: dislike being sat between two people! - Not Dyspraxia

8. I find instructions difficult to follow - Possible Dyspraxia

9. I am messy and chaotic! - Not really Dyspraxia.

10. I do lots of things at once and finish nothing! (I've recently started writing process lists so that I stay on task and tick off each sub-task in order and this has helped!) - Not really Dyspraxia

Sorry, but you're wrong on some of these. Just checking the list of signs on dypraxia website, some of the things you've said are not dyspraxia are. EG
"Tendency to say things loudly without realising it's loud!" You said wasn't dyspraxia... from dyspraxia foundation
Difficulty in picking up non-verbal signals or in judging tone or pitch of voice in themselves and or others. Tendency to take things literally. May listen but not understand

and
Difficulty in listening to people, especially in large groups. Can be tactless, interrupt frequently.

Suggest otherwise

Being messy and chaotic definitely DOES indicate dyspraxia.
Unfocused and erratic. Can be messy and cluttered

Point is, there are LOADS of symptoms of dyspraxia, and even the worst affected won't display all of them. Earlysound, you seem to be using your personal experience of dyspraxia as a ticklist of symptoms. I'm mildly dyspraxic, and I know there are lots of symptoms I don't have. And I know people with it that have a few different symptoms from me.

OP, you are displaying some signs of dyspraxia. Best thing to do is see a doctor, or go to someone who provides disability support at your college or uni and they might be able to arrange an ed psych to come in and test you.

My parents tried to diagnose me a few times when I was younger, I had a few assessments and was told that I was too mild to be diagnosed... or something similar. In the 90s and early 00s it wasn't well understood be even some professionals. Its not a massively well known condition generally.When you say to someone dyspraxia, a lot of people will think you said dyslexia...
Reply 11
Thanks Kabloomybuzz,

Still a bit unsure whether to bring it up with my GP/clinical psychologist or disability service at the uni! Yeah I definitely don't have dyslexia and I guess if I have dyspraxia it's mild to moderate! Are there specific tests that an educational psych would use? or do they use self-report/questionnaire based assessment?
Original post by Katy100
Thanks Kabloomybuzz,

Still a bit unsure whether to bring it up with my GP/clinical psychologist or disability service at the uni! Yeah I definitely don't have dyslexia and I guess if I have dyspraxia it's mild to moderate! Are there specific tests that an educational psych would use? or do they use self-report/questionnaire based assessment?

Sorry, I don't remember that much about my educational psychologist test... I was also quite depressed at the time and quite stressed, so its all a bit of a blur. I remember doing some activities which, on the face of it seemed quite childish... but obviously showed something... One of the things I do remember was being asked to put pics in order... there were questions too and a writing test I think.

Were your parents concerned at all when you were younger? Have you had any assessments in the past? You could bring this up when talking to somebody about it.

I would suggest your uni disability service as a first port of call if you are already seeing them... doctor if not...

Definitely have a look around the dyspraxia foundation website.. They have loads of useful information
Reply 13
I'd go to your advisor at the uni, they will be able to get you in touch with someone and being through the uni may subsidise it for you!
I've got dyspraxia and have a lot of those symptoms - it varies between sufferers though. I suffer from muscular issues (hypo and hyper tensive muscles), reflex issues (overactive startle reflex), gross motor difficulties (spatial awareness, sports, movement, bodily positioning, holding a cup, spilling food, chopping veg, cooking), fine motor problems (writing, using a paintbrush, sewing, craft, using a knife and fork, picking up small things), sensory problems (having my hair brushed, extremes of temperatures, food textures, fabric textures, noise overload, smell overload), anxiety/phobia and confidence issues and communicative/social awareness difficulties. Despite all that - I lead a fairly normal life and people often don't know my difficulties until I tell them.

I'd ask either your GP or uni for some more advice - you may have it, but then again you may just be normal.

The tests ed pyschs/OTs use can be veeeery long - I had drawing tests, writing tests, spelling tests, reading tests, maths tests questionairres and then some other tests that involved lpaying darts, using a ball (throwing, kicking), walking, crawling, curling up into a ball, lying on the floor and having my neck rotated to see if I had retained baby reflexes, cutting up a twix, putting on a shirt with buttons, putting on a pair of shoes, pretending to "cook", standing with my eyes closed, having my eyes and reflexes tested, using a balancing beam and other gym equipment, playing with blocks, putting pictures in order - there's a lot, howevr that was spaced out from 2000 to 2011 and I would imagine you won't require a lot of those tests!

It never cost me to get any tests - however, I was tested at age eight through the hospital, then again at age eighteen through the uni so they could organise support. Your uni/GP should be able to help cost wise.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Thanks so much for the detailed response daisydaffodil, sounds like you cope amazingly with your symptoms. I also have anxiety and phobia issues, although in my case I think they may not be related to any dyspraxia I have. Is it unheard of to have dypraxia without gross or many fine motor difficulties?
Original post by Katy100
Thanks so much for the detailed response daisydaffodil, sounds like you cope amazingly with your symptoms. I also have anxiety and phobia issues, although in my case I think they may not be related to any dyspraxia I have. Is it unheard of to have dypraxia without gross or many fine motor difficulties?

:tongue: I wish, it's a struggle at times :wink:

To be honest I'm not entirely sure - it might be possible but I don't know. Confusingly, everyone shows up some traits of disorders. Some people are just naturally more clumsy than others, and anxiety due to the distraction effect could theoretically make you more clumsy, more hypersensitive and definitely effects your feelings around other people and how you think, what your thought patterns are like.

So you could say it was just anxiety making you feel the way you do, certainly if you have OCD already.

May well be possible that you *do* have dyspraxia though, some of your symptoms point to it.

What I'd suggest - if you really want to know whether you are dyspraxic or not - I'd book an appointment to see a disability advisor at uni, or see your GP who might be able to point you in the right direction. Bearing in mind if you have had good grades up til now it might not be something you need to worry about, particularly as you might end up being charged for any tests (although you'd hope, and think, not!)

There's also an embarrassing bodies dyspraxia test, which you might find to be useful; a quick google search should also take you to the DORE sight which offers a quick test to see if you *might* have learning difficulties (I don't reccomend their "cures" though, dyspraxia and the likes can't be cured - just managed effectively) - both can be quite good if you're really not sure.

Hope it's all sorted soon - don't be afraid to PM if needing advice.
Original post by Katy100

Speaking as a dyspraxic, one of the most common things I notice is whenever people see the symptoms, they say "oh, that's just like me!" Which is annoying.

Other symptoms, in addition to the common ones, from experience, are:

1. A naughty elf. No really - ever put, say, a pen, or guitar, or money down, with nobody else around, and then turn around, and it's gone? Or go to look for something, be unable to find it, get someone to help you, and it turns out it was literally right where you were looking? Make absolutely sure that something is where it should be, but then it isn't, for NO REASON?! This drives me up the wall: I call it my naughty elf sometimes :smile:

2. Being useless verbally, getting words wrong, muddled, mixed up, in the wrong order. Or....

3. Being a verbal genius: Hitler crossed with Al Sharpton after reading a book of clever quotes would still not be as hot as you verbally. You come across like a genius - but ON PAPER your work looks like an annoyed two year old has written it while eating a cake?

(edit: you could a 4. too - Sensory Integration Disorder is very common with dyspraxics. If you're overly sensitive to light or sound (like me,) or perhaps the opposite, then think of it as a symptom of Dyspraxia.)

Actually, there are others, but they get increasingly bitter =)

My best advice is to develop a sense of humour, take up something performance related, whether music, or acting, or anything like that, and then to not ask on a forum, or your doctor either. Instead, look at http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/info/contact_us.php and ask them for advice.

Remember that almost all dyspraxia stuff is run by and for mums. Seriously, it's like nobody cares if you're an adult with dyspraxia. They should still be able to help. Your uni should also have a disability team, officer, or unit (or something) who should be able to help.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Katy100
Hey,

1. I have difficulty organizing myself e.g. planning what to do and timing it efficiently

2. I am unable to put together children's puzzles (e.g. big 5 piece puzzles) and always lose my place when reading (again even children's books and even when the child I'm reading to knows where I had got to!)

3. I have difficulty memorizing

4. I am more clumsy than most- frequently spill things on myself!

6. Tendency to say things loudly without realising it's loud!

7. Claustrophobic tendency: dislike being sat between two people!

8. I find instructions difficult to follow

9. I am messy and chaotic!

10. I do lots of things at once and finish nothing! (I've recently started writing process lists so that I stay on task and tick off each sub-task in order and this has helped!)

This sounds just like me, and I'm quite dyslexic, and very dyspraxic. So maybe look into getting tested :biggrin:
Reply 19
Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'll look into it, although I'm leaning more towards querying if it's just anxiety related disorganization now!

xxx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending