Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Comparing yourself to others and feeling inadequate?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to uni this year? Check out our new personal statement advice hub 28-11-2014

I can't stop looking at Facebook and realizing how crap, to put it bluntly, my life has been in comparison to other people of the same age. Yes, I know some will say it is all fake, done for show, you don't know what is going on behind the scenes and that is true. But it doesn't make me feel better.

One girl I have on Facebook, who I really disliked at school (she was SO false and bitchy), got a first class degree, just secured a really good graduate job, is getting married to her childhood sweetheart, seems to have tons of money and goes on holidays abroad every few months. Her and her fiance have their own flat and are trying for a baby in a couple of years. In comparison to me (no proper job, no money, no confidence, no real friends, certainly no relationships, still very much live at home) it is like we are poles apart and yes, I can't help but feel jealous. I guess I envisioned (perhaps dreamed would be a better way of putting it) having a similar kind of "ideal" life and it never really materialized. I'm stuck in a rut while everyone else is moving on.

Anyone else feel the same?

I feel you. im exactly the same. im forever doomed to be depressed. im gona choose to walk around in a cloud of doom. I have the ****test luck in the world in everything. my fate is doom. the only thing I can embrace the **** that is your life. this is whats meant for you.. Im giving up. whats the point anymore..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me for being so blunt, but who cares!? The only person in charge of your life is yourself. Comparing yourself to others doesn't achieve anything other than making you feel worse. Focus on feeling better rather than complaining; move on!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with above blunt person. One person has the capability to change things and it is you. If you need help finding motivation this is a fair place to ask, but it would garner far more productive replies if it was a request for help not a complaint about nothing in particular.

(Original post by bradshawi)
    Excuse me for being so blunt, but who cares!? The only person in charge of your life is yourself. Comparing yourself to others doesn't achieve anything other than making you feel worse. Focus on feeling better rather than complaining; move on!

see the thing is when you've had the worst luck in the world all your life and nothing has ever gone right. you sink into a depression cycle and start looking at other people's lives and start comparing yourself to them and feeling ****... I've got no warmth left in me only cold seas.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Everyone experiences depression. What differentiates those who seem to do better from those who seem to do worse is how you deal with it afterwards. You have the power to put things right, and if you really don't think you do for whatever reason, go and see a professional counselor and get to the bottom of things. Their job is to help you and they'll do a lot better than a bunch of randoms on a forum.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 29, 2011
New on TSR

Vote for your favourite Christmas film

Win a bundle of Xmas DVDs

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.