Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sweetiepie

I applied for 4 courses at Chester, a combination of English and (something). I received 4 unconditional offers

Yes you can definitely apply for more than one course, and yes they will take on board the requirements of each course.

Isn't it exciting now it's only a few months away x
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emelynaki)
    Hi guys!!
    I just firmed an unconditional from Glasgow!!
    I'm so excited about it!!!
    Anyone going there in September?
    I'm not sure yet, Ive been given a offer which is easy to attain but I have an offer for York, Manchester and I'm still waiting to hear from Edinburgh. Ideally Edinburgh would be my firm and then a battle for insurance Glasgow and York. grrr I never though going to uni was possible for me, now I'm have problems picking one
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone had an interview for English BA? Any tips on what I should read up on? Would be very grateful for any advice!

Thanks!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Age 26, applied for BA History/Politics. Offers from; York, Leicester, Queens Belfast and Uni of Notts. Firmed York and have nearly got enough distinctions, and will get them
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    finally heard back from one of my uni's (tho one still pending) and i have an offer to do Social Work! quite relieved, since i only had two options left on UCAS due to my own mentalism.

conditions are that i pass my course which is fantastic, i do have to say lolol...it has totally taken the pressure off! mind u, selection process is stressy enuff so i'll take the conditions, tyvm

due to my personal experiences here's a few hints for anyone out there that reads this and is heading for study in 2013;

if u have an idea of what u want to do at uni, ring admissions of the uni's u are interested in and ENSURE they accept your particular qualification. i made an assumption that because 5 uni's i spoke to did accept Access, the 6th would too. as it happens, uni of glasgow did accept Access but did not accept my particular strand of access. not their fault since they prefer generic programmes of study (an Access to HE for example) and entirely mine for not clarifying and realising that my access course is/was too specific (an Access to Social Work).

pls GOD when u come to UCAS time make your choices carefully (lol) - and it comes fast when u start your course, so start researching and KNOW where u wanna head - i researched but, turns out not enuff due to the following points;

if u are applying for a competitive degree, make sure to have alternative routes on your UCAS into your preferred career (ie in my case, it would have been any social science degree followed by a postgrad in SW);

if u are considering social work or any of the human services/social care, get that placement started NOW;

if u are undecided on institutions be unafraid to leave a choice (or two!) blank on UCAS. this means u can add other institutions and courses later. or instead, have two degree programmes from the same place (tho bear in mind it will need to be reflected on your PS as to why) ie, i applied for both social science and social work at the same uni. this only applies to those that may wanna get into particular institutions tho;

(this really does happen) - it is possible that u change your mind as to the subject u enjoy. example. i went on the course fully revved up for social work. fell in love with social policy tho (yeah that sounds sad. live with it! ) tried to get a social policy place and nearly considered changing from social work to social policy, which is when i contacted uni of glasgow and learnt my quals were not acceptable, despite being on straight distinctions (galling, to say the least!). sometimes, no matter how much u think u want to do something, doubts can occur. as it happens i changed my mind back, but, beware that over the course of nine months, things can change - so by leaving blanks, it gives you room to chop and change without stressing yourself. the number of uni's i spoke with willing to accept me and that asked me to apply thru UCAS and i couldn't because i had used up all my choices, caused me no end of stress.

PS = Personal Statement - final hint - start that personal statement asap - yes, i mean now lol...believe it or not it will help take the pressure off u later when UCAS time comes. most people in my group struggled to get a workable first draft and felt the pressure as the deadline fast approached and UCAS opened.

hope the above helps and saves someone from unnecessary stress when it's their time
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashtoreth)
    finally heard back from one of my uni's (tho one still pending) and i have an offer to do Social Work! quite relieved, since i only had two options left on UCAS due to my own mentalism.

conditions are that i pass my course which is fantastic, i do have to say lolol...it has totally taken the pressure off! mind u, selection process is stressy enuff so i'll take the conditions, tyvm

due to my personal experiences here's a few hints for anyone out there that reads this and is heading for study in 2013;

if u have an idea of what u want to do at uni, ring admissions of that uni and ENSURE they accept your particular qualification. i made an assumption that because 5 uni's i spoke to did accept Access, the 6th would too. as it happens, uni of glasgow did accept Access but did not accept my particular strand of access. not their fault since they prefer generic programmes of study (an Access to HE for example) and entirely mine for not clarifying and realising that my access course is/was too specific (an Access to Social Work).

pls GOD when u come to UCAS time make your choices carefully (lol) - and it comes fast when u start your course, so start researching and KNOW where u wanna head - i researched but, turns out not enuff due to the following points;

if u are applying for a competitive degree, make sure to have alternative routes on your UCAS into your preferred career (ie in my case, it would have been any social science degree followed by a postgrad in SW);

if u are considering social work or any of the human services/social care, get that placement started NOW;

if u are undecided on institutions be unafraid to leave a choice (or two!) blank on UCAS. this means u can add other institutions and courses later. or instead, have two degree programmes from the same place (tho bear in mind it will need to be reflected on your PS as to why) ie, i applied for both social science and social work at the same uni. this only applies to those that may wanna get into particular institutions tho;

(this really does happen) - it is possible that u change your mind as to the subject u enjoy. example. i went on the course fully revved up for social work. fell in love with social policy tho (yeah that sounds sad. live with it! ) tried to get a social policy place and nearly considered changing from social work to social policy, which is when i contacted uni of glasgow and learnt my quals were not acceptable, despite being on straight distinctions (galling, to say the least!). sometimes, no matter how much u think u want to do something, doubts can occur. as it happens i changed my mind back, but, beware that over the course of nine months, things can change - so by leaving blanks, it gives you room to chop and change without stressing yourself. the number of uni's i spoke to that would accept me and asked me to apply thru UCAS and i couldn't, because i had used up all my choices caused me no end of stress.

PS = Personal Statement - final hint - start that personal statement asap - yes, i mean now lol...believe it or not it will help take the pressure off u later when UCAS time comes. most people in my group struggled to get a workable first draft and felt the pressure as the deadline fast approached and UCAS opened.

hope the above helps and saves someone from unnecessary stress when it's their time
    Excellent stuff. My tip is read the instructions carefully. My first PS draft was 4000 words Doh. I think subconsciously I ignored the word character because i assumed this cannot be based upon only 4000 characters including spaces, and so read what I thought should be there..
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evening sunrise)
    Excellent stuff. My tip is read the instructions carefully. My first PS draft was 4000 words Doh. I think subconsciously I ignored the word character because i assumed this cannot be based upon only 4000 characters including spaces, and so read what I thought should be there..
    many thanks, sunrise! you make a good point too, cos there were a number of ppl that got caught out with that one on my course as well. i was fortunate in that i used the PS help section here an got all the pertinent advice i needed to help me along.

*so to add - do use that resource on this forum, cos it's that which brought me here and it proved invaluable, and i hope it does the same for those to come

you awrite btw, sunrise? not been here cept in passing lately, so not had chance to post much. way too much work and the stress of waiting for a place was killing me, so i was concentrating on staying sane lol...

not long now, eh? - am looking forward to it but, dreading the four years of hard work ahead!
    bet u can't wait, cos your wait will have been even longer!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    many thanks, sunrise! you make a good point too, cos there were a number of ppl that got caught out with that one on my course as well. i was fortunate in that i used the PS help section here an got all the pertinent advice i needed to help me along.

*so to add - do use that resource on this forum, cos it's that which brought me here and it proved invaluable, and i hope it does the same for those to come

you awrite btw, sunrise? not been here cept in passing lately, so not had chance to post much. way too much work and the stress of waiting for a place was killing me, so i was concentrating on staying sane lol...

not long now, eh? - am looking forward to it but, dreading the four years of hard work ahead!
    bet u can't wait, cos your wait will have been even longer!
    I am fine thankyou. Not been on much myself, been out shooting with the cameras as the weather has been good.

Yep the wait is a pain. Still over 5 months to go, as I do not start until October. Will move up once the kids have finshed for the summer holidays. Sorting college out for the eldest at the moment. plus praying that SFE don't lose our kids birth certificates or our marrage certificate. Missus starts beginning of the third week of September, I have shorter terms each year

When do the access courses finish ? Do you get the results quickly ?

Hacked my way through silicate geochemistry, made me feel quite ill lol.

Edit: The hardwork ahead is an interesting point after 30 years of work I am looking forward to doing something I have been and still am really interested in for 3 years (hopefully 6) I don't think of it as going to study I think of it as going to do archaeology and get into some real detail on the various stoneage periods and the scientific methods, should be a dam good crack. Studying will not be some kind of outside element in the way work can be, it will simply be what I do, a great reason for getting up for the next three years.

Congrats on the offers.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    i was fortunate in that i used the PS help section here an got all the pertinent advice i needed to help me along.

I suffer from manualphobia....
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am fine thankyou. Not been on much myself, been out shooting with the cameras as the weather has been good.

Yep the wait is a pain. Still over 5 months to go, as I do not start until October. Will move up once the kids have finshed for the summer holidays. Sorting college out for the eldest at the moment. plus praying that SFE don't lose our kids birth certificates or our marrage certificate. Missus starts beginning of the third week of September, I have shorter terms each year

When do the access courses finish ? Do you get the results quickly ?

Hacked my way through silicate geochemistry, made me feel quite ill lol.

Edit: The hardwork ahead is an interesting point after 30 years of work I am looking forward to doing something I have been and still am really interested in for 3 years (hopefully 6) I don't think of it as going to study I think of it as going to do archaeology and get into some real detail on the various stoneage periods and the scientific methods, should be a dam good crack. Studying will not be some kind of outside element in the way work can be, it will simply be what I do, a great reason for getting up for the next three years.

Congrats on the offers.
    guessed that the wait would be harder on u as u have not had formal studies and deadlines (ugh!) to worry about, tho it needs to be said that i prefer what i've had to suffer than suffer some of your reading material

really need to sort sfe out - MUST do that asap. kick me if i haven't done it by the next time u see me pls

course finishes in july but, only 4 more teaching weeks left. then is just a case of submitting outstanding assignments. results/certs come in Aug but, pending on how u are doing, most should have a reasonable idea as to grades/what to expect when the certs come.

the difference between your circs and most others is in the fact that u are studying for the pleasure of learning and increasing depth of knowledge. you've had a respectable career and are happy with where u are at. i envy your position

for me it will be hard work because i want a minimum of a 2.1 cos i plan a postgrad in social policy and management/or similar and, because this course is a chance to fix my life and finally call a halt to coasting. hence the beauty of doing a social work degree. i could study in a shed so long as it delivers an accredited course, and still get a job after qualifying.
    however, i'm dreadfully lazy so not looking forward to the work i'll have to do to ensure the 2.1 lol

in saying that, anything that requires moving my lazy bum = hard work
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from manualphobia....
    side effect of being a man, no doubt...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Got an unofficial offer from UCL which was my first choice

I hope everyone here gets on offer from their top choice!!!!!!!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    guessed that the wait would be harder on u as u have not had formal studies and deadlines (ugh!) to worry about, tho it needs to be said that i prefer what i've had to suffer than suffer some of your reading material

really need to sort sfe out - MUST do that asap. kick me if i haven't done it by the next time u see me pls

course finishes in july but, only 4 more teaching weeks left. then is just a case of submitting outstanding assignments. results/certs come in Aug but, pending on how u are doing, most should have a reasonable idea as to grades/what to expect when the certs come.

the difference between your circs and most others is in the fact that u are studying for the pleasure of learning and increasing depth of knowledge. you've had a respectable career and are happy with where u are at. i envy your position

for me it will be hard work because i want a minimum of a 2.1 cos i plan a postgrad in social policy and management/or similar and, because this course is a chance to fix my life and finally call a halt to coasting. hence the beauty of doing a social work degree. i could study in a shed so long as it delivers an accredited course, and still get a job after qualifying.
    however, i'm dreadfully lazy so not looking forward to the work i'll have to do to ensure the 2.1 lol

in saying that, anything that requires moving my lazy bum = hard work
    I often studied (when doing the OU) in a tent whilst camped out carp fishing for the weekend, but then I have also done conference calls for work standing in the middle of a river in chest waders, phone stuffed down the front, fly fishing for salmon. You do what you have to do where you have to do it.

I understand what you mean, we intend to do post grad, our psychological position and it also our position with friends and family, is that we are going for 6/7 years. If we come back after 3 years we have fecked up or to quote from The Mummy "had a very very very good time". Due to age I don't really want to do a masters, so I hope I can do a blinding 3rd year dissertation and go straight to Phd like one used to be able to do. My wife is quite content to do the masters year and then Phd.
    I used to be a county chess player, so I intend to brush off a large quantity of dust and get onto the Uni team.

After that....who knows, retirement, bit of parttime teaching / tutoring and I will probably go for my Associateship of the Royal Photographic Society (ARPS.)

After that.........I have no idea and I dont give a No 2.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cmk)

Congratulations.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just firmed Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama after horrible months of indecision.
    Im going to Cardiff! And Im so so happy.

Celebrated finally making up my mind by booking a trip to Stonehenge and Bath this weekend. And making brownies.

Now cant wait for Access and the summer holiday to finish.
    Odd, think its the first time ever Ive been looking forward to the holidays to finish and not to start!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by game well and truly over)
    Just got a letter from St Edmunds, Cambridge. I was so excited!!!!

Rejected without interview.
    Probably cos you're black.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone

New member, second ever post. Congrats everyone on your decisions to go back to education and all offers received/accepted.

Is anybody starting at Sussex for September 2012? I have just firm accepted a conditional offer from them and hope I've made the right choice, I feel a bit uncertain but that's probably just a doubting mind, I expect it will turn out to be the right way to go. Insurance choice Royal Holloway. I'm currently on an Access course doing Biology and Chemistry. One of the best things I've ever done, got so much out of this year and feel more confident.

I'm 25, not old as mature students go, but my course (Geography BSc) is not one many older people apply for like health care qualifications, so I felt a bit out of place on admissions day!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greengloves)
    Hello everyone

New member, second ever post. Congrats everyone on your decisions to go back to education and all offers received/accepted.

Is anybody starting at Sussex for September 2012? I have just firm accepted a conditional offer from them and hope I've made the right choice, I feel a bit uncertain but that's probably just a doubting mind, I expect it will turn out to be the right way to go. Insurance choice Royal Holloway. I'm currently on an Access course doing Biology and Chemistry. One of the best things I've ever done, got so much out of this year and feel more confident.

I'm 25, not old as mature students go, but my course (Geography BSc) is not one many older people apply for like health care qualifications, so I felt a bit out of place on admissions day!
    Congratulations on your offer/firm. I am going to your insurance choice, Royal Holloway, to do Psychology. Like you not too many mature students on my course. I agree completely about the Access course, although I will be pleased to be able to breath when its over (in just over a month) I will miss the course itself, and the tutors.

Will you be staying in halls?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greengloves)
    Hello everyone

Hi! I am also 25 and starting at Sussex in September!! I'm doing Sociology and Cultural studies and I too, felt out of place on admissions day on Saturday. But that was to be expected I guess. I loved the place though, and am SO excited!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.