The Student Room Group

Mature Students Applying for University 2012

Scroll to see replies

if your applying to university and your from europe apply to a scottish uni and its free :smile:
Original post by FluffyTutu
Awww thanks. I'm at the stage right now where I could easily just pack it all in. College I am at is not helpful at all. Its been drama with childcare and then drama because I am absent so much... Luckily its October break! :colondollar:

No given up you have come too far to just give it up.
wish you all the very best of luck this academic year for applying to university,must get my ucas form in after the half term most people on my access group have submitted their forms a while back lol
Reply 103
Hi, I'm Katie.

I left college in 2008, dropped out of uni as made a rash decision through clearing and hated it. Since then I've worked and I now have an 8 month old son :smile:

I'm applying for Primary Education at Oxford Brookes. I've always wanted to teach. I'm a little worried my brain doesn't work as well as it used to!

Hi!
Reply 104
Hey Howdy!
I'm Gav, Studying Access to HE Combined Studies (Psychology and Biology) at Bournville College
Applying to Greenwich, Westminster, London Met, Newman University College, and Aston - hoping for Greenwich!
Going for BSc Psychology after this (if all goes well =S)
favourite snack? Considering a Sunday Dinner doesn't count as a snack, i'd have to say fruit pastilles....i could live off them!
Reply 105
Original post by britishgoose01
if your applying to university and your from europe apply to a scottish uni and its free :smile:

Isn't that for Scottish residents only? I've read that if you're from outside of Scotland (even England or Wales) you have to pay tuition fees..

It's blatantly unfair. lol.
Reply 106
Original post by wizardtop
wish you all the very best of luck this academic year for applying to university,must get my ucas form in after the half term most people on my access group have submitted their forms a while back lol

Only two out of my year (that's a good few hundred students over 18 campus(es?) have done theres submitted UCAS and that's because of uni deadlines! All of my classmates seem really blasé about it, to the point where our tutor has sent out a group e-mail reminding every one that the sooner it's done, the better their chances are at getting interviewed!
Reply 107
Original post by Threxy
Isn't that for Scottish residents only? I've read that if you're from outside of Scotland (even England or Wales) you have to pay tuition fees..

It's blatantly unfair. lol.

Im quite sure that if youre from the EU (but not England or Wales) youre tuition will be paid by SAAS.
Reply 108
Ok, i'll probably post this in the cambridge forum too, just to be on the safe side, but i just received an email from Hughes Hall asking for a scanned copy of my Academic certificates. The deadline being this monday. Firstly, YAY for college acknowledgment, and secondly, they want a scanned copy of my GCSE certificate? Because that's all I have, and they're pretty piss poor grades. This has sent me in to a real tizzy that it's not that that they want and they mistakenly think i've achieved four A*'s at A-level or something :s-smilie:

Original post by admbeatmaker
Have sent my application in!

Absolutely sh*tting myself tbh. As much as going to Cambridge would be amazing, I would be over the moon with 2 out of 5 possible offers.

Adam, fellow hopeful Hughesian... have you received this email? Did you take it to mean the same thing? *panic face*
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Elle408
Ok, i'll probably post this in the cambridge forum too, just to be on the safe side, but i just received an email from Hughes Hall asking for a scanned copy of my Academic certificates. The deadline being this monday. Firstly, YAY for college acknowledgment, and secondly, they want a scanned copy of my GCSE certificate? Because that's all I have, and they're pretty piss poor grades. This has sent me in to a real tizzy that it's not that that they want and they mistakenly think i've achieved four A*'s at A-level or something :s-smilie:

Adam, fellow hopeful Hughesian... have you received this email? Did you take it to mean the same thing? *panic face*

I've fallen into the same pit today, as well!

A think Monday to get all the certificates I have, posted in, is really unreasonable. I've emailed Hughes to ask whether they'll accept an email with the scanned documents.

Bit unhappy now, though.
Reply 110
I've fallen into the same pit today, as well!

A think Monday to get all the certificates I have, posted in, is really unreasonable. I've emailed Hughes to ask whether they'll accept an email with the scanned documents.

Bit unhappy now, though.

Well mine does just ask for scans, so i'm assuming you'll be allowed to be the same? I'm just worried that I only have one and the grades are poor, it looks a bit pathetic! I'm writing the email reply now, which is basically 'here's my gcse certificate, is that all?' (obviously not worded in that way) which just seems too.... EASY! I don't know why I assume there to be a trick question with everything they say and do.

Also, worryingly, at the bottom of my certificate it says 'this is not a certificate' :s-smilie: when it's the only certificate I got! :confused:
Reply 111
Somebody asked me to send scans of my gcse's last year too, I forget who it was .

Who'd have thought that 10 years down the line, the sound of my teachers pleading with me to apply myself would still be ringing in my ears :smile:
Original post by Elle408
Well mine does just ask for scans, so i'm assuming you'll be allowed to be the same? I'm just worried that I only have one and the grades are poor, it looks a bit pathetic! I'm writing the email reply now, which is basically 'here's my gcse certificate, is that all?' (obviously not worded in that way) which just seems too.... EASY! I don't know why I assume there to be a trick question with everything they say and do.

Also, worryingly, at the bottom of my certificate it says 'this is not a certificate' :s-smilie: when it's the only certificate I got! :confused:

I have, at best, a B in GCSE English. So I hope they don't laugh!

Going to get my certs. all scanned in and sent tomorrow. Hopefully it goes well for the pair of us!
Reply 113
Original post by gtfo

Who'd have thought that 10 years down the line, the sound of my teachers pleading with me to apply myself would still be ringing in my ears :smile:

Haha, this sounds familiar! Only I acutely remember my maths teacher stating quite firmly, just before I entered the exam hall, that I was wasting school money by sitting exams that I was sure to fail, having only turned up to 3 lessons since Christmas. She had a point. I did however get a B in Maths, which still makes me laugh now!

I have, at best, a B in GCSE English. So I hope they don't laugh!

Going to get my certs. all scanned in and sent tomorrow. Hopefully it goes well for the pair of us!

I worried about this too, it feels almost ridiculous to be sending in proof of my failures! But, it's done, so I guess we'll see what they say!
UCAS is completed, just waiting on my referece from my tutor now :biggrin:

Also, tutition is only free in Scotland because we have to put up with the crappy weather and missing about 6 weeks over Dec/Jan due to snow. I think it's fair. And after all, us Scots do seem to be providing an above average percentage of scientific breakthroughs. So ner ner ner! :tongue:
I got my first offer today! I'm 25 and doing a BTEC, not an Access.. though I'm awaiting the conditions of the offer, I was happy to receive an offer from Bangor even though it is my fifth choice.

My GCSEs are terrible aswell, I left school at 13 and did only 4 in a year at college at 15. I got a B in english language but failed Maths which I'm now retaking.. they clearly haven't worried about such things so if anyone's panicking like I was try not to. I do have fairly decent work experience under my belt though

Good luck to everyone who's waiting/applying :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
just remember this:
3 yrs + loans + grants £35-40k = to be paid back without tax and so on
4 yrs + loans + grants = £45-50k to be paid back without tax and so on
5 yrs + loans + grant = up to 60k + to be paid back without tax and so on

your gunna have a mortgage before even leaving education, make sure you pass and do well
Reply 117
Original post by britishgoose01
just remember this:
3 yrs + loans + grants £35-40k = to be paid back without tax and so on
4 yrs + loans + grants = £45-50k to be paid back without tax and so on
5 yrs + loans + grant = up to 60k + to be paid back without tax and so on

your gunna have a mortgage before even leaving education, make sure you pass and do well

But you only pay it back when you reach a certain wage threshold. And you're more likely to get a better paying job with a degree than without. And when you do pay it back, it's barely noticeable out of your wage. At least, it was for my friend a few years back, she was paying one pound a week for the first few years!
Reply 118
Original post by DarwinsDevotee
I got my first offer today! I'm 25 and doing a BTEC, not an Access.. though I'm awaiting the conditions of the offer, I was happy to receive an offer from Bangor even though it is my fifth choice.

My GCSEs are terrible aswell, I left school at 13 and did only 4 in a year at college at 15. I got a B in english language but failed Maths which I'm now retaking.. they clearly haven't worried about such things so if anyone's panicking like I was try not to. I do have fairly decent work experience under my belt though

Good luck to everyone who's waiting/applying :biggrin:

Oh and this, very reassuring! Thank you! And congrats on your offer! (I'll be excited for a fifth choice offer right now, lol)
Original post by Elle408
I worried about this too, it feels almost ridiculous to be sending in proof of my failures! But, it's done, so I guess we'll see what they say!

Got my certificates scanned and emailed in to Hughes Hall. No receipt email yet, though.

I can't understand why Cambridge should have the privilege to ask students to submit their certificates this early on in to the application cycle - no other university has asked thus far. I could understand if I had claimed I had 20 A*'s at GCSE and so fourth. But for the grades I have, is it really that necessary?

Anyway, it's done now. I would just absolutely love to be invited to interview. I think it'll be there that I can shine and truly show my passion for law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending