The Student Room Group

BPS Accreditation VS. Lack of Interest?

Hi all, I will be studying Psychology & English at Exeter this year as an UG student, and need your advice!

As the programme I'm doing (Flexible Combined Honours) allows me to choose the number of modules for either subject, I have 2 options: 1. Take two thirds of my modules in Psychology and have a degree accredited by the British Psychological Society at the end of my 3 year course, or 2. Take however many modules in either subject I desire, and then take a 1 year postgrad elsewhere to become accredited.

The problem is, by taking the accredited option, I can only take 1 or 2 English modules every year, which is pretty saddening for me because I find the English modules fascinating, and my interest in English is a lot broader than my interest in Psych. I'm happy to study poetry, novels, creative writing etc in English, but only really find a strong interest in abnormal psychology and a minor interest in neuropsychology in Psych.

I am just not sure how much it would be worth taking the accredited option given that I will miss out on 3 years of interesting topics. Apparently it is very difficult to find the time to even sit in on extra lectures? It does seem however an enormous pain to do that 1 year postgrad course especially as I'm sure I won't have the money, at least not straight after finishing my undergrad. And I'm sure that it will also help me get a job if my degree is accredited.

Suggestions? Help. :frown:
Do you actually want to work in psych?
Reply 2
If you don't want to work in Psychology as a field then the accreditation is irrelevant :smile:
Unless you want to be a psychologist BPS accreditation isn't needed.
Reply 4
What's the point of doing a psych course if you'remore interested in another course?

Also, crazy fool for finding something else more interesting than psychology :colonhash:
Original post by skotch
What's the point of doing a psych course if you'remore interested in another course?

Also, crazy fool for finding something else more interesting than psychology :colonhash:

:getmecoat:
Reply 6
Because I DO love Psych. I love Psych and English equally which is why I'm combining them in my degree, obviously, but my interests in Psych which, passionate though it may be, is more narrow than my interests in English. Hence more modules for English appealing to me, though I adore Psychology as well.

I am however interested in being a psychologist, yeah. Not 100% certain - not sure who can be at this age - but it's definitely a possibility. And I know my parents would be a lot more comfortable with me aiming for a job in psychology than just leaving with an English degree because my dad is always wondering what exactly you can do with an English degree. :P
Reply 7
In that case I'd lean towards English and do extra after your degree to gain BPS accreditation.
Original post by rahrahryn
Because I DO love Psych. I love Psych and English equally which is why I'm combining them in my degree, obviously, but my interests in Psych which, passionate though it may be, is more narrow than my interests in English. Hence more modules for English appealing to me, though I adore Psychology as well.

I am however interested in being a psychologist, yeah. Not 100% certain - not sure who can be at this age - but it's definitely a possibility. And I know my parents would be a lot more comfortable with me aiming for a job in psychology than just leaving with an English degree because my dad is always wondering what exactly you can do with an English degree. :P

I would definitely go for a BPS accredited Psychology and English combined degree.

I've seen loads of jobs advertise for applicants with psychology degrees (mostly for applicants with 2.1s and above at undergraduate level). If you completed a BPS accredited degree then you have the option of applying for postgraduate courses in psychology and therefore further job opportunities. If you decide to pursue psychology as a career option in the future and complete a non BPS accredited degree, you will need to complete a conversion diploma in Psychology accredited by the BPS.

My English degree graduate friends are working mainly in admin, teaching and support staff within universities.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by *Elizabeth*

My English degree graduate friends are working mainly in admin, teaching and support staff within universities.

I don't think my cohort has been that lucky. Straight to retail.
Reply 10
Thanks a lot for your informative post, Elisabeth. I'm very, very UNinterested in doing any sort of teaching job, and I think it'd be better for me in the long run as a career option to go for the accredited version.

Thanks everyone for responding. I've chosen the BPS accredited :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest