The Student Room Group

Amy Winehouse deserved to die?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
she made her bed...and died in it....end of story
She was talented... but she wasn't a bad person so didn't deserve to die... but I don't feel sorry for her and neither am I shocked... what a waster of a life, people die of cancer and she dies for a pathetic idiotic reason.
Original post by King_Blumpkins
She took drugs and couldn't control her addictions. She deserved it.

One of the definitions of addiction is the lack of control. Making your statement nonsensical.

HTH :smile:
Original post by Fusion
Even Her dad said she was responsible for her 'ways' since she had many opportunities to kick them. Let's face it, she had the best support any addict could afford - People living on the streets manage to kick their habits cold turkey, some drinking 600 units a week. This is where I feel Amy deserves some criticism, if indeed her death was the result of cumulative drug abuse, as oppossed to a bad batch, in which case she may have been making good progress, but I don't know.

Another point is that she apparently found it hard to cope with fame. That could be an excuse, but I don't know. Surely an entertainer revels in the spotlight.

This.

I wasn't surprised in the slightest when I found out she was dead. She'd been circling the drain for ages and more recent photos of her showed she was a mess.

She didn't deserve to die and I feel a little bad for her friends and family, but I think everyone knew this was a possibility.

Maybe she just couldn't hack rehab or whatever, but as Fusion has said, people with much less financial and personal support have kicked habits, it's just a shame she didn't with what help she had on offer.

Would have been nice for her to come round, sort herself out, and make something of her career but in this case the best thing she seems to have done for her sales was to die. Tragic waste.
Original post by aimee1098
I have seen this far too many times on mainly social websites such as facebook & other websites such as youtube. I find it beyond disgraceful. People branding Amy Winehouse as a 'filthy f*cking smack head' fair enough, she took drugs, she drank too much alcohol...but she did this to herself, she was not an evil person, she was not a child molester, a rapist, or a murderer, she was simply a young lady with great talent who sadly wasted her life away, she DID NOT deserve to die. I also find it disgusting how when Ryan Dunn died (which was also a sad loss) he was branded a 'legend' & I did not see one bad comment against him even though he was drinking & driving which caused the crash...which also caused the passenger to die, his foolish actions took anothers life, i'm not saying Ryan Dunn deserved to die but the way he was worshiped was totally wrong. R.I.P Amy Winehouse, such a talented young lady.

So wait.....you've lived on this planet for how long and haven't yet realised the average person is a complete mong?
Her death was not surprising, but it was a tragedy. Any death is a tragedy. A lot of people who have never taken a drug believe addiction to be as simple as "she took the drugs, she wasted her life, it was her own fault and I have no sympathy because of that".

Well, the truth is that she didn't wake up one morning and decide "now I'm going to kill myself slowly over a period of years and years, so that eventually I can collapse into an early grave". She was obviously naive and in love, which a lot of us have been at one point, and she was pressured by her ex-husband into trying drugs. If you cannot see yourself in that position, then it's either because you are a very strong individual (well done in that case), or more likely because you've never been PUT in that position and you wrongly believe you would never agree to do it.

A lot of people, in fact, a lot of the people who condemn Amy's decisions, could possibly end up taking a drug one day. You cannot foresee the future, and unless you are put in that position where you are head over heels in love and the object of your desire pressures you into doing something, you cannot categorically say you would never take a drug. I'm sure if Amy would have known what drugs would have done to her she would never have tried them, but every person who takes a drug assures themselves that they won't get addicted. Naive, yes, but a common approach from people who try drugs for the first time. And the truth is, not everyone DOES get addicted. Taking a drug is a real lottery in the sense that you could go Amy's way or you could take them recreationally, never become addicted and live your life as normal. So in short - you cannot judge a person until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Yes, she was ultimately responsible for her own death, but she didn't commit flat out suicide. There were a variety of other factors that led her down that path and she is not solely to blame.

As for the people saying she was untalented or couldn't sing - in her later years before she expired, obviously her voice turned to **** because of her lifestyle. But if you can't appreciate her earlier performances or studio recordings, then you're either tone deaf or have no concept of what a passionate singer is.

Reply 126
Original post by Tahooper
Well, nobody deserves to die, but in all honesty she brought it upon herself through the use of alcohol and drugs.

not even Hitler?
Reply 127
What annoyed me most was when people on Facebook write things like "who cares about a smack head like Amy Winehouse when there are soldiers dying?" - everyones life should be equally important and should not be quantified into importance.

Worst of all are the sick people who make jokes about her death when her friends and family are mourning her death.

What certain people fail to realise it that not everyone has an easy upbringing, you don't decide who your parents are, where you are brought up or certain genes that are inherent.

I never had any interest in her or her music but to say she deserved to die, she was a smack head whos life was unimportant or to make jokes about her death is wrong.
Reply 128
She abused drugs, she deserved to die because that's what abusing drugs does to you - if you're lucky.
Reply 129
Original post by JinnJamez
not even Hitler?

What did Hitler do wrong? I mean it is seen as socially unacceptable and immoral in modern society to do what he did, but it's only wrong because that's how society views it. What is there to say he deserved to die?
Original post by Broderss
She abused drugs, she deserved to die because that's what abusing drugs does to you - if you're lucky.

She was emotionally unwell. That's what a drug problem is - an emotional/mental health problem. You think that people deserve to die for being unwell? I hope you're not a medical student!
What did Hitler do wrong? I mean it is seen as socially unacceptable and immoral in modern society to do what he did, but it's only wrong because that's how society views it. What is there to say he deserved to die?

Ahhhh, you like being "controversial".

*yawn*
Original post by JinnJamez
not even Hitler?

No. He definitely deserved life in prison (for the rest of his life not 20 years) with only bread and water and little sunlight though :smile:
Reply 133
Original post by Kibalchich
Ahhhh, you like being "controversial".

*yawn*

You previous reply to me was just as 'controversial'. If you have a problem with posts like this why do you make them yourself?

And my point was perfectly valid. If you can't create an argument against it, that's your problem.
Original post by Antonia87
As I said in another thread, if it was about money and that kind of support, then Brittany Murphy, Anna Nicole Smith, River Phoenix, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and the dozens and dozens of other wealthy, popular people wouldnt have fallen either. But they did. I guess sometimes, it desnt matter how much support you have.

This might've been pointed out already, Idk, I haven't read the therad through yet, but even though drug use was the cause of their deaths, some of them weren't addicts. Official acuse of death, as far as Wikipedia goes, says that Hendrix died of "Respiratory arrest caused by alcohol and barbiturate overdose and vomit inhalation. Dannemann claimed in her original testimony that after they returned to her lodgings the evening before, Hendrix, unknown to her, had taken nine of her prescribed Vesparax sleeping pills. "
Winehouse, as far as I'm aware, didn't die of an overdose; just drug abuse over a period of years.

Mitch Hedburg deserves a mention as well tbh.
You previous reply to me was just as 'controversial'. If you have a problem with posts like this why do you make them yourself?

Which reply? This one?

"She was emotionally unwell. That's what a drug problem is - an emotional/mental health problem. You think that people deserve to die for being unwell? I hope you're not a medical student!"

What's controversial about that?

And my point was perfectly valid. If you can't create an argument against it, that's your problem.

You made a point? Where?
Original post by farrokh_bulsarah
Not only was she amazing, pretty. and talented - but she was also Jewish. Tragic loss. RIP X

Lol!
Nobody deserves to die. Especially not such big talent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending