The Student Room Group

Preparing for A Level Results Day 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Minerva
[*]Use the UCAS Course Search to find the courses that were in Extra at the end of June, as this can be a guide for what might be available in Clearing.
[*]Use this information to identify courses that interest you, with standard entrance requirements you are likely to be able to meet, or come within a grade of being able to meet. Be flexible consider alternatives or joint honours - think laterally!
[*]Check out those courses/unis as much as you can look around on TSR and make the most of the uni/department websites. Don’t forget to take into account the uni’s accommodation policies for Clearing applicants, and other factors such as the Students Union and the support it offers.
[*]Use this information to pull together a shortlist of options that, if they do come up in Clearing, you know what you would want to apply for. This way you are ready to go as soon as your results are in your hand. You will also be able to demonstrate to the admissions tutor a level of knowledge of the course and interest in it that will help your cause considerably.
[*]If there is something that interests you that isn’t in Extra but may have been in Clearing last year, there’s no harm in working that up too, just in case. Not being in Extra reduces the chances of the course being in Clearing but doesn’t remove them. Equally, courses do turn up in Clearing that weren't on offer in Extra.

At the moment, my firm choice is available in Extra...If I was to miss my offer by one grade, do you think I could still be accepted?
Reply 21
Original post by thesilvermagnolia
At the moment, my firm choice is available in Extra...If I was to miss my offer by one grade, do you think I could still be accepted?
You could still be accepted even if the course wasn't in Extra - but no-one can tell you how likely it is that you would be, either way. I doubt if even the uni could at this stage.
Reply 22
Hi, i've just decided that instead of going to my insurance I am going to resit and reapply if i miss my grades due to the increase in uni fees I cannot afford post grad dentistry! Do i just ring up my insurance and tell them I don't want to go if I miss my grades?
Original post by empop92
Hi, i've just decided that instead of going to my insurance I am going to resit and reapply if i miss my grades due to the increase in uni fees I cannot afford post grad dentistry! Do i just ring up my insurance and tell them I don't want to go if I miss my grades?

You can either let them know in advance and ask to be rejected by your insurance, or if you just intend to drop out and reapply then you can let them know after results and just say you won't be taking up that offer. I'd probably go with this option to keep things open for you, but try not to let them know too late, so that they are able to offer the place to someone else.
Reply 24
I was wondering if anyone knew what to do if you wanted to get an exam remarked and you got rejected from you firm? I know you'd inform your firm but if they rejected is it too late, or would they keep an open mind?

Thanks!
Original post by nerd123
I was wondering if anyone knew what to do if you wanted to get an exam remarked and you got rejected from you firm? I know you'd inform your firm but if they rejected is it too late, or would they keep an open mind?

Thanks!

Get it as a priority remark so you have the results back by August 31st, which is the deadline for meeting offers. Inform your firm university and they'll change the decision.

More guidance here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A_Level_Results_Day#A_note_about_remarks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Minerva

Hi

I was just wondering whether I should inform my firm/insurance choices about extenuating circumstances experienced in the first year of my A levels. I have got a doctors note and this was taken into consideration whilst marking my papers in AS.

Is it worth telling them about it?

Thanks
Reply 27
Original post by Muggle#334025
Hi

I was just wondering whether I should inform my firm/insurance choices about extenuating circumstances experienced in the first year of my A levels. I have got a doctors note and this was taken into consideration whilst marking my papers in AS.

Is it worth telling them about it?

Thanks
If it only affected your AS year, and it was taken into account when marking your AS papers, I would say there's not much point in informing the unis now, especially if it wasn't mentioned in your original application.
Reply 28
I've applied for a million jobs today, half a million in the town of my uni, and half a million in my local town... that way I'm covered if I fail.

Unfortunately I don't have an insurance so if I miss my grades... I'm screwed :/
Original post by Rosybud
I've applied for a million jobs today, half a million in the town of my uni, and half a million in my local town... that way I'm covered if I fail.

Unfortunately I don't have an insurance so if I miss my grades... I'm screwed :/

Same.. My heart is set on the one and only uni I applied for so if I don't get accepted, life as I know it is over :bawling:
Reply 30
Hi,

I'm on holiday during results this year. Got a firm/conditional, Insurance/Unconditional combination and I'm 95% sure I haven't got the grade for my firm choice. How long do you have to contact your insurance choice to accept the place or will it be okay to wait until I get back as I have an unconditional offer?

Thanks
I'm in a really annoying/ambiguous/confusing/[insert adjective here] position. My offer for my firm is:

A* Maths
A Physics
A Further Maths
CONFIRMATION OF RESULTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 26TH AUGUST

That last condition... really confusing. Why? Well I've received an email saying that we don't need to send A Level results as they're received automatically... you see my point? Okay, so I emailed them 4 times in the last month, and not one reply. I'm now getting sending errors because the inbox is too full. Last resort, phone call. What do you know? No one will pick up, and I've tried for about an hour now. The email they sent before all of this also states that they need confirmation of our previous qualifications. In my case, I take that to be GCSEs.. how should I send them? There's no way I'll trust the Royal Mail with the official transcripts, so I've photocopied them all today and going to get ready to send them.. but guess what? I was not given an address to send them to?

Now what I want to know is how I should proceed, and I'm also worried that if I do get A*AA in those subjects will my track update to unconditional, or will it not update at all until I've sent them the A Level results?
Original post by raw84
Hi,

I'm on holiday during results this year. Got a firm/conditional, Insurance/Unconditional combination and I'm 95% sure I haven't got the grade for my firm choice. How long do you have to contact your insurance choice to accept the place or will it be okay to wait until I get back as I have an unconditional offer?

Thanks

If you are required to confirm your attendance, you will have 14 days after you receive your AS12 letter. Not all universities require you to notify them if you are going to take up the place, some ask you only to let them know if you don't intend to take up the place (see here). So, as long as you are happy to go to your insurance choice then it should be ok, so long as you are back within a week of results.

Original post by ViralRiver
I'm in a really annoying/ambiguous/confusing/[insert adjective here] position. My offer for my firm is:

A* Maths
A Physics
A Further Maths
CONFIRMATION OF RESULTS MUST BE RECEIVED BY 26TH AUGUST

That last condition... really confusing. Why? Well I've received an email saying that we don't need to send A Level results as they're received automatically... you see my point? Okay, so I emailed them 4 times in the last month, and not one reply. I'm now getting sending errors because the inbox is too full. Last resort, phone call. What do you know? No one will pick up, and I've tried for about an hour now. The email they sent before all of this also states that they need confirmation of our previous qualifications. In my case, I take that to be GCSEs.. how should I send them? There's no way I'll trust the Royal Mail with the official transcripts, so I've photocopied them all today and going to get ready to send them.. but guess what? I was not given an address to send them to?

Now what I want to know is how I should proceed, and I'm also worried that if I do get A*AA in those subjects will my track update to unconditional, or will it not update at all until I've sent them the A Level results?

I would say that unless you have specifically been asked to send them confirmation of results yourself (i.e. you haven't received an personal email) then you can rely on UCAS to do it for you. Confirmation is only normally required for qualifications that are not covered by UCAS. I would wait and see what happens on Results day and if Track doesn't update when you have met your offer, give them a call on the friday and ask them what's going on and whether you need to confirm your results. If you do need to send your results, and are sending them in the post, you should use special delivery so that it's recorded.
Original post by F1 fanatic
I would say that unless you have specifically been asked to send them confirmation of results yourself (i.e. you haven't received an personal email) then you can rely on UCAS to do it for you. Confirmation is only normally required for qualifications that are not covered by UCAS. I would wait and see what happens on Results day and if Track doesn't update when you have met your offer, give them a call on the friday and ask them what's going on and whether you need to confirm your results. If you do need to send your results, and are sending them in the post, you should use special delivery so that it's recorded.

Should I not bother sending out my GCSE and AS results?
Reply 34
Original post by ViralRiver
Should I not bother sending out my GCSE and AS results?
You will need to forward evidence of any GCSE results you are expecting, where these form part of your offer. You don't need to forward evidence of your A level results. You may be expected to be able to produce originals of your GCSE and AS certificates when you enrol (but not your A level certificates if you haven't got them yet and the results were sent through automatically).
Reply 35
Help! I have no insurance, just one offer lol. Ppl in my situation- I plan on going about results day like this:
6am- ucas track
9am- grab the telegraph or guardian newspaper with a list of clearing vacancies/ check vacancies on ucas website
10 am- get results
if i have been rejected from my firm but the course is available in clearing then I will call up the uni and beg, if its not in clearing I dont really stand much of a chance- so im left with CLEARING.

Now my question is, is the only way to go about clearing is to call the individual unis you're interested in by phone-not online? And what time do their lines open? Would it be a good idea to personally go to the uni you're interested in when it comes to clearing?

Thanks in advance ppl! XD
Reply 36
Hi

I was just wondering, if I miss out on my offer and the Uni rejects me on UCAS track, is there point in ringing the university to beg?! Would they be able to change their mind?
Original post by SuperStar*
Hi

I was just wondering, if I miss out on my offer and the Uni rejects me on UCAS track, is there point in ringing the university to beg?! Would they be able to change their mind?

The are able to, but likely won't - they already considered you in between them getting your result and you getting it.

If you have your insurance place confirmed, there's nothing to lose by trying the firm. However, if you are in Clearing forget about your firm and insurance to concentrate on Clearing.

If you feel you really must try your firm and insurance, get an informal Clearing offer you want to accept first, then phone them. If they don't change their mind, add the Clearing choice.
Reply 38
Original post by SuperStar*
Hi

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1727737 have a read of this thread and that should cover it for you, especially post 19! :smile:
Original post by priyap
Now my question is, is the only way to go about clearing is to call the individual unis you're interested in by phone-not online? And what time do their lines open? Would it be a good idea to personally go to the uni you're interested in when it comes to clearing?

Thanks in advance ppl! XD

Pretty much, yes. Some universities have an online enquiry form, but the best way to get a response is to phone them.

They will state the time their lines open on their website.

No, don't go to the university unless they specifically ask you to - it just becomes embarrassing if they say no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending