The Student Room Group

How can me and my bf stay together at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
You guys can rent a house near your college and stay together. This will save your commute time also.
Reply 61
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
I'm with this. Ignore the advice to live apart or whatever. Maybe it is because I'm tired of the (usually right) cynics talking about how relationships are **** and fall apart and going to uni is somehow the most important thing ever and you can't possibly want anything else in life, so **** relationships.

You know you want to be with your boyfriend and that is fine. Try sharing a place in the town that isn't uni accommodation, sorted.

TSR: Bitter lonely posters (probably virgins) tell people to break up, not because the situation usually merits it but simply because they are just that bitter.

Wow! Someone who actually knows what their talking about :wink: your probably right about the virgin thing too LOL. :smile:

P.S to all those who said we will suffocate eachotger we already live together it won't be much different and just because your all syinical about relationships and don't have partners doesn't mean everyone else at uni will be like you. There will be lots of other couples like me and my boyfriend. So I don't agree at all!
Original post by beccamxx
Wow! Someone who actually knows what their talking about :wink: your probably right about the virgin thing too LOL. :smile:

I was giving you advice, and I suspect a lot of people were too, on the basis of having been to uni and had a serious relationship when i went there. I didn't live with my then boyfriend when i went, but we may as well have done the amount of time we spend at each other's parents. I chose to go to Uni in London so he was only a 15 min train ride away, we saw each other all the time.

About halfway through my first year, I realised that I was pretty isolated. I knew people in my halls, and we went out, but because I spent so much time with Mark, it had been hard to make close friendships. People knew us as a 'unit', and didn't try to break into that.

I am NOT saying that you and your boyfriend will be the same; but I think it's only fair to point this out as having been there, done that, and regretted not doing it slightly differently. I don't wish I'd broken up with him before I went, that's ridiculous. But I do wish I had made more of an effort to get to know people as 'amanda', not 'amandaandmark'. that's all i was trying to say...
Original post by beccamxx

P.S to all those who said we will suffocate eachotger we already live together it won't be much different and just because your all syinical about relationships and don't have partners doesn't mean everyone else at uni will be like you. There will be lots of other couples like me and my boyfriend. So I don't agree at all!

Ok, I'm glad you are certain about the direction you are taking, though it's not something I would ever do in your position (not a critique, just adding). One thing that I really really hope you take note of is just to make sure if you end up sharing with others, don't be coupley in the shared areas. It sucks to want to make dinner and have to see your best mate and his partner all cuddley under a blanket while your cooking. I'm sure you will be sensible, just be aware.

And live uni life for yourself, take any chances to get out and see things that you can. Do not let either of your social circles be just each other, or have one of you who only has friends they share with the other. That sucks, massively.
Reply 64
Original post by flying plum
I was giving you advice, and I suspect a lot of people were too, on the basis of having been to uni and had a serious relationship when i went there. I didn't live with my then boyfriend when i went, but we may as well have done the amount of time we spend at each other's parents. I chose to go to Uni in London so he was only a 15 min train ride away, we saw each other all the time.

About halfway through my first year, I realised that I was pretty isolated. I knew people in my halls, and we went out, but because I spent so much time with Mark, it had been hard to make close friendships. People knew us as a 'unit', and didn't try to break into that.

I am NOT saying that you and your boyfriend will be the same; but I think it's only fair to point this out as having been there, done that, and regretted not doing it slightly differently. I don't wish I'd broken up with him before I went, that's ridiculous. But I do wish I had made more of an effort to get to know people as 'amanda', not 'amandaandmark'. that's all i was trying to say...

The bits in bold show how this is an argument for them living together. If a couple are living apart then chances are they will visit each other a lot, meaning they will spend lots of time away from their flatmates and instead spending the time with each other, as you've said you've done. This is what makes it hard to form close friendships with flatmates and this is where you become the "clingy loved-up couple" that nobody wants to live with in 2nd year.

On the other hand, if they live together then they will see each other all the time anyway, so they will still spend time with their flatmates. It now becomes easier to make close friendships. This would only not work if they acted like the typical 'clingy' couple in the communal areas, or stayed in their rooms all the time isolating themselves from the rest of the flat/hall. But if they find the right balance between spending time in the communal areas and acting like a group of friends, and spending time in their own room(s) acting like a couple, then they should have no problems making friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending