The Student Room Group

Books for an A Level Psychology student?

So this September I have to have my UCAS app in, and I'm applying to do Psychology. The main thing I'm worrying about is reading around the subject.

I've already read one book called 'The Luck Factor' about the psychology behind luck, and I have subscribed to the BPS 'Reader's Digest' and I am starting to read through the archives of 'The Psychologist' but as far as reading around my subject goes I am pretty much clueless.

Where should I look? What sorts of books should I be reading? Which books are an interesting read? And most importantly which books would an A-Level Psychology student actually be able to understand?

SO I NEED YOUR HELP! Please suggest some books that I could read that I would enjoy (or at least understand and find interesting) and that I would be able to write about on my personal statement.
Reply 1
There are quite a few you'd probably enjoy, but you need to be careful about what books you're going to put on your personal statement. Some places won't even look at your personal statement for psychology and they'll just look at the grades you already have.

I'd recommend any of Pinker's books (How The Mind Works + The Language Instinct come to mind) and I'd recommend reading Sacks' books, but don't put any of Sacks' books on your personal statements, quite a few of the admission tutors I spoke to where quite explicit about that.
Reply 2
This isn't a book and probably won't help you with A-level, but it might be worth getting a couple of copies of Scientific American Mind, it will keep you up to date with things and be helpful when writing your personal statement.
Reply 3
All I would say is read something if you are interested but don't put yourself through it if you aren't, not yet anyway. Psychology is broad, you don't have to like all of it. You will have plenty of required reading if/when you go to uni.
Reply 4
Thanks! Pinker's books look really interesting so i'll definitely check to see if my library stocks any of his books. Out of interest, why not mention Sack's in a personal statement?
Original post by winkeysmiley
Thanks! Pinker's books look really interesting so i'll definitely check to see if my library stocks any of his books. Out of interest, why not mention Sack's in a personal statement?

Because everyone does, and we're ****ing sick of hearing about it.
Reply 6
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Because everyone does, and we're ****ing sick of hearing about it.

What about books by Richard Gross? I came across one of his books "themes, issues and debates in psychology" - is that any good to read?

Quick Reply

Latest