The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by pdk
thanks for replying :smile: Argh man, thats a bad news then. I don't have brilliant A-Level grades (just meet the entry requirements) so UKCAT was the only way forward..which other unis do you think i should try? thinking of glasgow but thats the same with ukcat :frown:

Assuming by you 'just meeting the entry requirement' you have AAA right?

You don't really have to apply any where UKCAT related, so you could apply to Cardiff and BSMS and Manc (you beat mancs UKCAT cutoff from last year, if I'm right) these are just a few of them. I don't know about Glasgow tbh. I'd say the best thing to do would be to phone any med schools admissions as they are always friendly and honest. You can tell them all your grades and UKCAT and they should explain your chances.
I've phoned some med schools about 3 times lol
Reply 141
Original post by twelve
I know me too haha. Just printing off all my maps and booked train tickets and everything now :smile:

I'm currently trying to book the ferry, cos I live in NI its either the ferry or the plane and for some wierd and wonderful reason I can fly to Newcastle on Saturday but there are no flights home til late Sunday night! I'm going to have a really early start on Sat then so I'll be like a bear. Admission tutors be warned!
Reply 142
Original post by Seb
Assuming by you 'just meeting the entry requirement' you have AAA right?

You don't really have to apply any where UKCAT related, so you could apply to Cardiff and BSMS and Manc (you beat mancs UKCAT cutoff from last year, if I'm right) these are just a few of them. I don't know about Glasgow tbh. I'd say the best thing to do would be to phone any med schools admissions as they are always friendly and honest. You can tell them all your grades and UKCAT and they should explain your chances.
I've phoned some med schools about 3 times lol

Hi. Nah, I don't have AAA A-Levels. I meet the entry requirements as I have 2.1 degree in biomedical sciences and that's what they ask from graduates. Newcastle is the only i know who don't look at a-levels or gcses but only on 2.1 and UKCAT...but since my UKCAT is not that high, i don't know where else to apply :frown:
Reply 143
Original post by RO'Gara
I'm currently trying to book the ferry, cos I live in NI its either the ferry or the plane and for some wierd and wonderful reason I can fly to Newcastle on Saturday but there are no flights home til late Sunday night! I'm going to have a really early start on Sat then so I'll be like a bear. Admission tutors be warned!

Ohh dear! Yeahh, I'm having to stay the night on friday night - but I don't really mind - gives me a chance ot properly explore the city :smile:
So who is pumped for the open day tomorrow!

I'm travelling up tonight by train, well three trains to be precise, but only a 5 hour trip!

Hopefully see some of you there?!?!?
Reply 145
Original post by Steerforth
So who is pumped for the open day tomorrow!

I'm travelling up tonight by train, well three trains to be precise, but only a 5 hour trip!

Hopefully see some of you there?!?!?

Haha, me too - see you there! Infact, I'm killing time right now until I have to leave for the station... I hate it when I'm ready too early :/
Just got 705 average UKCAT. Can I still apply do you think?
hey guys,

does anyone know the med school's email address?
Original post by Panda89
Considering they interview over 1000 applicants, no.

sorry to butt in but was just wondering if you knew what the success rate post-interview is for Newcastle?
Original post by Dr.Galaxy99
sorry to butt in but was just wondering if you knew what the success rate post-interview is for Newcastle?

Two years ago they had a interview:redface:ffer ratio of 2.3 : 1, with 2057 applications, 928 interviews and 400 offers. They haven't released data for the most recent cycle yet.
Original post by Normandy114
Two years ago they had a interview:redface:ffer ratio of 2.3 : 1, with 2057 applications, 928 interviews and 400 offers. They haven't released data for the most recent cycle yet.

thank you. is this info on the site? if so, please can you send me the link. i haven't been able to find information other than basic entry requirements on the site.
Original post by superG123
does anyone know if the individual unit scores matter? i got 590 in one (due to disturbances i put a complaint in) but my average was 700, i want to apply here.
But I'm a reapplicant and don't know if it's worth the risk?

some give me some much needed advice please

i want to know this too- i can't find any specific, detailed information on the website. i'm also a reapplicant. i also got 590 (in VR) 780, 770 and 700 in the other sections (overall of 710) .

please let me know if you find out about this.
Reply 152
Only the overall average counts, not individual section subscores.
thank you. is this info on the site? if so, please can you send me the link. i haven't been able to find information other than basic entry requirements on the site.

i want to know this too- i can't find any specific, detailed information on the website. i'm also a reapplicant. i also got 590 (in VR) 780, 770 and 700 in the other sections (overall of 710).

I took the information from this part of the TSR Medicine Wiki, no idea what the source is though but it seems pretty reliable.
And I'm fairly sure it's the total score that's important to Newcastle, not the individual scores. My scores were quite similar to yours, 707.5 average but 560/780/720/770. VR seems to have been quite difficult this year, lots of people have had scores in the 500s in it.
Newcastle is amazing currently a fresher and I'll give you one piece of advice, treble vodkas in sinners are £2 :colone:
Hello everyone, I'm an international applicant from Toronto, Canada. I scored 685 on the ukcat overall. How does newcastle use the UKCAT? I know they have a threshold, but after that, do they rank the applicants based on the UKCAT scores?

My school decided to be a completely uncooperative education institution and decided not to give me prediced marks... Will this be a disadvantage and significantly lower my chance of getting in?

Thank you in advance,
doctork2
Nice open day, deffo applying.
Original post by doctork2
Hello everyone, I'm an international applicant from Toronto, Canada. I scored 685 on the ukcat overall. How does newcastle use the UKCAT? I know they have a threshold, but after that, do they rank the applicants based on the UKCAT scores?

My school decided to be a completely uncooperative education institution and decided not to give me prediced marks... Will this be a disadvantage and significantly lower my chance of getting in?

Thank you in advance,
doctork2

Not sure how it will work if you have no predicted grades, I would call up and ask.
Reply 158
Can you just use grade 11's mark? You can ask teacher for up-to-date marks, then use them as projected marks.
Reply 159

I have this information from the open day - I'll find it for you later. If I forget, quote me and I'll get it haha.

I'm definitely applying - loved the open day :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending