Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Newcastle Medical School 2012 Entry Applicants

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
  • View Poll Results: UKCAT score average?
    <550
    0.55%
    550-600
    3.60%
    601-625
    3.88%
    626-650
    7.48%
    651-675
    13.30%
    676-700
    27.98%
    701-725
    18.01%
    726-750
    12.47%
    751-775
    6.37%
    >776
    6.37%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SilverArch)
    The impression I got was that we need to be immune to Hep B before starting the clinical bits of the course, but not necessarily before starting first year. I think we get tested on arrival, and get the jabs if not immune yet. If your GP is offering the vacc for free though, I'd get it now. Unfortunately for me, I forgot to book my last appointment (6 months after 2nd jab) so I think I'm going to have to start the whole course again Ooops

You need polio, diptheria, tetanus (most people get that young then have a booster aged 13-15 sometime), MMR, and chaicken pox before starting the course i think though. Those I think all just involve one jab
    Thank you so much! It turns out I've been vaccinated for everything except Hep B due to holidays abroad to places where i've needed them. The nurse terrified me when she mentioned a £60-£70 price tag for 3 Hep B injections, but she's managed to give them to me for free by giving a different kind of first injection which combines Hep A and Hep B, which is free And no sore arm so i'm very happy with that! Oh no I hope you don't have to pay for them again
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mel608)
    Thank you so much! It turns out I've been vaccinated for everything except Hep B due to holidays abroad to places where i've needed them. The nurse terrified me when she mentioned a £60-£70 price tag for 3 Hep B injections, but she's managed to give them to me for free by giving a different kind of first injection which combines Hep A and Hep B, which is free And no sore arm so i'm very happy with that! Oh no I hope you don't have to pay for them again
    I didn't have to pay for the course, so I don't think i'll have to this time either. I had Hep B+Hep A combined as well! My arm did hurt though after the jab - I hate needles On the other hand, my friend just got told £150 for the Hep B course :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you need Hep B vaccination to go to medical school or work in healthcare, the vaccination is free. Please make sure you inform your GP what the vaccination is for. Alternatively wait til you start medical school and occupational health will sort them out for free.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    They're only free through occy health, GPs don't need to provide vaccinations for free but they might if they're feeling kind.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've worked in healthcare for over 10 years and have never paid for a vaccination yet. Used different doctors too. Unwritten rules are that the vaccinations should be free to healthcare workers.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Rejection

Yay! UCAS is finished!!!

Farewell and good luck
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Erotas)
    Are people taking their parents to the offer-holders open day?
    Got an email yesterday and it reminded me of this

"You are welcome to being a parent along. Parents are able to sit in on the presentations and lectures but not the practical sessions.

Lunch will only be provided for applicants."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My son got rejected today (4th rejection so end of UCAS).
    Sad as he really liked Newcastle.
    Currently on a gap year although first time med. applicant.

Best wishes to all with offers and good luck to all those still waiting!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am going to firm Newcastle but I am really scared I might do something wrong and reject them by accident, anyone else have this :L
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick526)
    I am going to firm Newcastle but I am really scared I might do something wrong and reject them by accident, anyone else have this :L
    You remind me of Paranoid Parrot...

http://www.quickmeme.com/Paranoid-Parrot/
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steerforth)
    You remind me of Paranoid Parrot...

http://www.quickmeme.com/Paranoid-Parrot/
    Unfortunately I can't say I'm any different from Paranoid parrot. Apart from the fact I'm not a parrot, promise! :L
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick526)
    Unfortunately I can't say I'm any different from Paranoid parrot. Apart from the fact I'm not a parrot, promise! :L
    Would be interesting to have a parrot as a doctor though...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    JUST GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL OFFER!!!
    I'm sooo excited, I thought I was for sure rejected but yipee I guess not!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iDream_iLive)
    JUST GOT AN UNCONDITIONAL OFFER!!!
    I'm sooo excited, I thought I was for sure rejected but yipee I guess not!!!
    Nice work! Firming?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nice work! Firming?
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys, anyone know when we hear about what halls we stay in for the first year?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WearyWill)
    Guys, anyone know when we hear about what halls we stay in for the first year?
    I think I remember reading that it's after results day, when you know you're definitely going. Not entirely sure though.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh accommodation offers are given out early-mid July.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Yeh accommodation offers are given out early-mid July.
    Do you know if this is the same for people who have firmed an unconditional offer. I vaguely remember hearing that I would hear back sooner. If so, any idea when?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if this is the same for people who have firmed an unconditional offer. I vaguely remember hearing that I would hear back sooner. If so, any idea when?
    Nope, everybody hears the same time. They assign and notify students of accommodation allocations on a single day (in early-mid July). They assign people in order they applied, with unconditional firms getting highest priority. So you'll be assigned first, but you'll hear on the same day as other people - it's a complicated system but hopefully that explains it OK.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 11, 2013
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.